1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting article

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by jase, May 9, 2015.

1. jase

jase Your kind makes me sick!!

2. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

my thoughts: your link is bad

3. jase

4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

5. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I think those are their experiences, so they can't be discounted, but the perceptions are skewed, as are mine. I think as a white male, I've seen a woman cross the street as I approached. I've seen women clutch their purses. I think that says far more about them than it does me. I've never assumed it was because of my race. I assume it's because I'm not a small guy, and being a female, they naturally respond differently. I don't view any of the examples discussed from their experiences as being race-based(except the girl wanting to avoid the group of black guys), but again, I'm not in their shoes.

I think in a lot of ways, white males see many of the same things, but we aren't raised with an inherent belief that we're going to be judged by our skin color. I, for one, base my opinions on far different things. Given the 30-second clips of those guys in the video, I'd hang out with any one of them. They seem to, overall, carry themselves very well. Not "they carry themselves well for being black", b/c there are PLENTY of white guys around me that carry themselves like morons, and I won't hang with any of them, either.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Well said.

7. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

For we everyday people of society, dealing with racism is a kind of continuous circle. Black people still face racism emanating from the old ways of decades ago while they also face the new feelings of racism coming from other races because of black people's own reactions of facing racism. In my eyes it's a vicious circle. Many black people, when they feel like they're being discriminated against, react in a natural way by feeling animosity toward the people discriminating against them. This in turn brings out more feelings of discomfort towards black people by other races and that, in turn, brings out feelings of wanting to distance themselves from the black race resulting in even more feelings of discrimination.

The more we clamor about it, the more it shows up in the media, and each new incident between a black person and white person, especially the police, results in even more separation between the races. I sometimes question my own feelings towards black people and wonder if I'm somewhat racist but when I think about it I realize that I'm prejudiced only toward those black people that have succumbed to the pressure of racism. It's not going to be fast and simple to find a solution to racism in this country, or the world for that matter. I believe that it's going to be time itself that solves it. We cannot force it so it has to occur on it's own. Each generation becomes a little bit better at accepting people of other races and this is, in my opinion, the only thing that will matter.

We will have the race baiters and race instigators that occasionally come along but eventually they will die off or go silent and the race frictions will continue to improve. Patience my friends. That's what it takes.

(Aren't opinions great. We get to give them for free.):up:

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Try being white walking down the street in a predominantly black section of town. It's not a one way street. People judge by appearance first: skin, attractiveness, weight, dress. It is the first cue and it is human nature.

9. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I think I would rather have my nuts squashed in a panini maker than watch something about growing up black.

I am just about as interested in their experience as they are mine.

10. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I'm always interested in hearing how someone grew up when their life is vastly different from mine. These videos however, I don't necessarily trust as being unscripted. I listen to them with a grain of salt.

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I think if you're brainwashed from birth by not only your family but people your taught to respect, the feeling of being wronged is inevitable.

I wonder if we got a handful of white teens on video being wronged with numerous misconceptions if that too would make the NYT's?

12. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

It must stem from your feminine side.... :D

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Neither interesting nor an article.

14. jase

Interesting video

15. In Your Corner

Evidently not interesting enough for you to type more than two words in a row.

16. jase

I just wanted to know what the guys in the dungeon thought about the video.

17. In Your Corner

What do you think about it? Start there.

18. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I spent most of my high school years hanging out with my fellow track team members (I was one of two white guys out of ~35 on the team).

My experiences in black neighborhoods in the 1970's (I was in HS in 1969-73) and since then were not as filled with distrust and/or hate as when some of my team members would come into my neighborhood.

In 1984 I lived with friends in Harlem (NYC) for a month while I was between apartments, at 120th below Morningside Park. My job included some late night project work, which had be getting off the A train at 125th St after midnight and walking the 6 or so blocks back to where I stayed. The only times I was bothered by anyone was when a cop (white) hassled me after emerging from the subway because he thought I was in Harlem at 1AM to buy drugs. (I offered to have him walk with me back to 120th St. He became visibly terrified and said no, but stopped hassling me.)

Since 1970 I've heard the argument that white folks in Black neighborhoods get the "same treatment" as blacks in White neighborhoods. In my personal experience over the last 45 years in places like NYC (all boroughs), Chicago, Detroit, Columbus(OH), LA, Oakland, Atlanta, etc. have taught me that the truth is that when I'm in a black neighborhood, while some may wonder why I'm there, I'm much less likely to face harassment (verbal or otherwise) than a black man of my size in a white neighborhood.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

YMMV.

Reactions vary, and they are not always blatant. The initial impression was race based. This is not a value judgement, simply an observation.

20. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I spoke long, long time ago on the BBS about the one time that I was walking down the sidewalk and I can see a woman that was walking in the opposite direction secure here purse.

I still needed to know what time it was. So, I asked her in Spanish what time it was. She responded, "No English."

When one is being judge the moment is less about the person being judge than the person passing judgment. IMO