1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

installing a 20mm kit

Discussion in 'Tech' started by atomic410, Jan 1, 2014.

1. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to swap the guts from my 06 R6 bent fork legs into newer straight 09 fork legs. how hard is it to swap my ohlins 20mm kit and all of the other internal parts over? I realize the legs are longer on the newer forks but was told that everything could swap straight over. I think I can do this myself and don't mind buying the tools if I need to but would also just pay to have a suspension guy do it if its too costly or difficult for my skill level, which I consider advanced. I currently work in a mechanical engineering shop so I have access to presses lathes etc etc if needed if that matters. I looked online for some videos but I couldn't find any.

2. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

maybe I'm wrong, but thought the o6 was a 24mm or something...? If I'm correct and you do really have 20mm inserts, it's probably a donor cartridge and you're probably screwed. and if you have a 25mm ohlins cart kit, I think you're still screwed - I think the length is different between years.

But I'm just talking out my ass cause I'm at home on the sofa with a whiskey in my hand...wait for someone more knowledgeable, and consider this a bump.

3. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I would assume the parts just swap over. There may be valving differences but I don't think the 20mm kits were that unique.

You will need some special tools mainly to grab the rebound rod and possibly get the cartridge out of the fork lower. You need a fork spring compressor as well.

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Should be no problem if you have the tools.

5. jamiedaugherty

jamiedaugherty New Member

Yep, parts just swap right over. Not too much drama there.

6. atombomb

atombomb Active Member

Buy one, make one, steal one....then rent it out to your bros.

Attached Files: