1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Immigration Lawyer question

Discussion in 'General' started by jeppe, Oct 6, 2004.

1. jeppe

jeppe Well-Known Member

Ok here it goes.
    Im not in troubble!:D

Im looking to start my green card process, I got married this summer so it will be fairly easy, but I still want the security of using someone with better insight into the process than I have.

I found this place online link but I cant seem to find much other info or comments about them online, they are cheap about halve of what other places charges. What i wonder is if someone have used them or knows if they are doing a good job or not?

Thanks
    Jesper (Swede)

2. 418

418 Expert #59

Do it yourself. I am. Getting fingerprinted later this month, and hopefull I'll be set.

Btw, I got married over two years ago, and filed my shite right away. Since 9/11 it is a much longer process, so don't expect miracles, time wise.

3. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

Why dont you too just **** off back to your own countries :mad:

(damn, its hard enough getting a green-card without extra competition...:( )

4. r6_philly

r6_philly Well-Known Member

when you get interviewed, just keep talking about motorcycles :D

don't use a service, just complete and file yourself. That why you know exactly what you put down and there is no discrepency.

It isn't that hard, if you do it through marriage, unless you can't convince yourself that you are married for real, or if you are from certain countries.

5. Do it yourself. Make sure you keep a lot of documents, i.e. bills, pictures, vacation receipts, etc... They come in handy during the interview. Put as much as you can in both your names. All these things help out a lot. Make sure you are really organized or else you can get lost in the mess.

6. jeppe

jeppe Well-Known Member

And this is the reason I would be more at ease with an attorney helping me with it.

swede

7. 418

418 Expert #59

I've gotten lost in the bullshit red tape, plenty of times. :D

It's a huge hassle, but it's better than paying an overpriced lawyer to do it, slower and shitter than you would have. :rolleyes:

8. gixxer208

gixxer208 YEP

Have a child then your stuck here.

9. jeppe

jeppe Well-Known Member

Even with a child is the same ammount of paperwork...

if the $500 in attorney fee at www.usavisanow.com will same me more that one trip to the closest INS office it will be well spent money.

10. I'm pretty sure your filing fee's are more if you use a lawyer as well. It is really easy, trust me.

11. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

There is an attorney here in Florida that is a racer and I beleive has done some immigration work.. He's a great guy and I'm sure if nothing else could put you in the right direction.

C.J. Czaia
    941-358-6699

worth a try

12. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Geeze, do it the good old american way and swim across the Rio Grande, Paperwork schmaperwork...:p

13. rcrgirl84

rcrgirl84 Danger Kitty!!

I did mine myself. Save yourself some money. The paperwork is not that difficult. You don't even have to send your finger prints with, they will send you a notice to go to your local INS office to get it done.

I did mine myself and it took about 2 - 2.5 years.

With a lawyer you also won't get it any faster. I have a friend that works for an immigration lawyer and basically, they just handle the paperwork. They can't push anything through faster.

14. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Like rcrgirl84 I did all mine myself. I'd come in on a fiance's visa (which both my now wife and I prepared) so a lot of the paperwork I already had was useful. I'd sent my application in prior to 9/11 but I had my interview afterwards. Just double check everything as you fill the forms out and keep copies of everything.

There is at the moment quite a backlog, I submitted my application for my conditional status to be removed in March and they're currently processing those that were submitted in August 2003.

15. fiptas

fiptas L.O.C Endurance

Be very careful if you do use a service, or attorney. I would get two or three references from people you know and trust before using one. I have too many friends to count that paid $5-10,000 or more to end up with nothing. Some incompetence through missing paperwork deadlines and some out and out shams.

16. jeppe

jeppe Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the input.:beer:

I dont know that many people on here but that is why I asked about this service.
    I surely dont want to spend money for nothing and I absoluteley dont want my GC to take longer than it has to.

It seemes like there is a few people here that has done the this before so I might bug you all with more questions as I get this started!

Thanks again for your input:beer:

17. If you have any questions you can PM me.

18. eurobiketrash

eurobiketrash Well-Known Member

Dang---no wonder it seems like it will take forever to get my g/f into the country way too many aliens here already---lololol:D

thnaks for all the input though will help.:)

19. rcrgirl84

rcrgirl84 Danger Kitty!!

Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. If you don't want to ask here through the board, you can also e-mail me at [email protected].

I filed mine before 9/11 after already being married for almost a year and a half. So, no issues really on mine.

I have a really good friend who works for an immigration law firm in DC and she's always open to questions. I'll be more than happy to pose any of your questions to her.

20. Rich SmithMoore

Rich SmithMoore Well-Known Member

Don't use an immigration lawyer. Use of a lawyer will flag you as "high risk" and you will receive "special" attention and scrutiny.

Never reveal your name when you call INS with questions.

Never call from your own telephone with questions.

INS is a dual function agency. At one end they are tasked with carrying weapons, deporting people and enforcing border controls. At the other end they are tasked to "help" you immigrate to this country. The catch is that the key to promotion is to have served at the "pointy" end for a while. What you end up with is a lot of folks who are operating with some leftover baggage from those days and view EVERYONE as a potential lawbreaker and illegal immigrant.

Do it on your own. Follow the rules. Wait out the waiting periods.

If at all possible, it is better (less suspicious) to begin the process at a US consulate in your country of origin.