1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want my entitlement!!!!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SVandST, Mar 4, 2010.

1. SVandST

SVandST Well-Known Member

People receiving government money are pissed because their payment, which is adjusted every year based on the cost of living, isn't increasing this year for the first time in a long time because the cost of living went DOWN.

Good grief. When is the entitlement attitude in this society going to stop?

They should be relieved their payments didn't go down along with the cost of living. The buying power of their payment increased since it stayed the same while the cost of living went down.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100304/pl_nm/us_usa_congress_elderly

2. Windshield

Windshield Well-Known Member

Normal people don't bitch!

3. trackjunkieX

trackjunkieX Banned

Many retirees net worth, the value of their homes and their retirement funds, has reduced dramatically over the last 2 years. Their credit cards have been canceled, their out of pocket heath care costs are going up, etc, etc.

Wait until you're living on SS and see how you feel about it.

4. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

the comments on that article make my head hurt... some people are idiots...

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I have planned to avoid having to live of SS. If my planning fails, I will continue to work.

6. Windshield

Counting on SS as more than just a small supplement would be your first mistake. I'd attribute it to your lack of skills.

7. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

What SS?! It'll be bankrupt 20 years before most of us (besides Acree and pantherparts) retire!

8. US129SLAYER

US129SLAYER Well-Known Member

My wife's aunt has worked all her life as a RN and applied for SS here recently. She will only draw $563 a month. How the hell are you suppose to live off $563 a month lol. She has accepted the fact that she is gonna have work until she is no longer capable and spend what little money she has saved up just to get by.

9. Windshield

Its more than just a small problem, and those who don't complain most likely are too exhausted to care.

But ...

How did mankind function before social security?

How did we all get into this situation?

Who told you to utilize SS as a primary means of income?

If politicians lie, cheat and steal, why do we complain?

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

AARP is the only outfit that approaches NRA when it comes to your money.

11. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

you aren't.

you aren't supposed to support a family with parents only earning minimum wage either.

People need to take responsibility for themselves, not count on the government to take care of them.

12. US129SLAYER

US129SLAYER Well-Known Member

Im not saying you should be able to live on SS, I was saying that my wife's aunt doesn't expect to live on SS and that is why she is gonna continue working. She also has saved money most of her life which will also help out. My point was that I don't know why people have it in their head that they should be able to live off SS. Thats the reason for the LOL at the end of that sentence.

13. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

Cry me a river. Like retirees are the only ones that has happenend to? All the Medicare, SS etc is paid by us and its not enough. What about saving for your own retirement??

You are a complete jackass if you think 'we' are expecting SS to be around when we retire. I have never been under the impression that Ponzi scheme would last until then. I newver planned for any income stream from the government to fund my out years. We are seeing SS crumble now.

I would sign gladly a legally binding document GIVING UP any claim to my SS, from dollar 1 on up, in exchange for a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution. I'm putting my money where my mouth is, but these asshats only want more of OPM.

14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Go into the service.

My grandpa is pulling in the equivalent of what a guy making 70K a year takes home. Plus full healthcare.

15. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Well, I know that I, as a SS recipient, feel a hell of a lot wealthier now. :(

16. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Being a member of both I'm basking in the wealth that results in their efforts.

(or not)

17. SVandST

I realize that people aren't getting wealthy from SS payments. People rely on those payments.

The point is that it is essentially a contract. A contract that says the government will give you X dollars and that amount will be adjusted yearly so that the money you receive has the same purchasing power each year. The measure by which the adjustment will be based is the consumer price index.

Cost of living, as measured by the CPI, went down but payment stayed the same. The inflation adjusted payment is more than it was last year so why the complaining?

Reduction in wealth due to losses in stocks, real estate, etc don't matter because that isn't what the SS "contract" is based on. Most everybody's wealth has decreased over the last two years, not just SS recipients.

18. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

damn the internet, and it's lack of tone-of-voice.

i apologize if I bit your head of with my reply. I'm sure you've met people who would ask the same question you posed, but NOT be joking...

19. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I don't know everyone's age, but I'm 26, and by my freshman year of high school (1997-98), they were already teaching us that SS wasn't a terrible concept at the time of its inception, but it simply won't be around in its current form for us to utilize.

My memory is fuzzy on exact numbers, but there were something like 4.x people paying in for every 1 person collecting SS when it began.

by the late 90's, the ratio had dropped to more like 2 people paying in for every 1 person collecting...

People just aren't having as many kids as they used to. I won't be able to afford more than 2, that's for damn sure...

20. SVandST

That's what always brings down a ponzi scheme eventually.