I need help

Discussion in 'General' started by Stumpy, Mar 2, 2001.

1. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

If her name ain't on the checkbook, go spend YOUR money how YOU want. Take the risks YOU feel you can afford.

You can't convince her of anything. She will either enjoy track-life, or she won't.

You can find another girl to date for years and years to come, but how long can you race before a job, car, house, wife, kids, college, etc. gets in the way?

If she is the only thing holding you back, then perhaps you and her ain't ... I'm not gonna say it.

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

first thing, stumpy is without a doubt whipped. no ?'s obout it.

second, get her to the track. walk around and talk to people, anybody. let me introduce her to my wife and she can go hang out with the officials for a while and see whats going on, and how things are run. if that doesnt change her mind we drop her in a swamp somewhere between roebling and your house and you go look for another

3. GSXRGIRL

GSXRGIRL Guest

LOL!!

4. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

Try explaining to her the logic of fate. Your going to die how your going to die when your going to die no matter what you do. Bubble boy DEAD. Evel Kenivel ALIVE. See what I mean?
    Then tell her how pissed off your gonna be when you tip toe through life trying not to get a boo boo and end up dying anyway.

5. stickboy274

6. fastbydrmike

fastbydrmike Well-Known Member

I think you need to pay attention on the street and the track. Unfortunately there are a few idiots on the track you need to watch out for and there are many idiots on the road. Again the track is a controlled environment so usually don't worry about sand, oil or cars etc. Take the SO out to the track and meet some people. I almost enjoy the friends at the track more than racing. No not really.

7. bdomenz

bdomenz Well-Known Member

sorta had the same situation with my wife - although she was just concerned that i'd still be breaking body parts -- having just retired from playing rugby.

so, i showed her in detail all of the protective gear, took a few racing schools, and took her to the track.

and buying her things won't hurt....

8. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

Nelson Ledges doesn't count. Most of the backroads in northern VA are in better condition, only with slightly less run-off before you hit the trees and maybe a farm implement or two. [​IMG]

- Roach

9. PKS

PKS Happiness is belt fed!

1. Show her the gear; the stuff works, street or track.

2. Get her involved. It's much harder to sit and watch than it is to participate and watch.

3. Take her to the track and let her see how many of the other racers have spouses, significant others, and kids there with them. Once she meets some of the people, she'll see it's not just a bunch of guys with testosterone poisoning. There's a real family atmosphere at the races that you can't feel unless you go there.

5. Most importantly, even if she never "gets it", don't let anyone else take your dreams away from you. If they don't want to go along for the ride, open the door and let them get out.

Everytime I hear someone say "I have to sell my bike cause my girlfriend doesn't like it." my comment is always "Keep the bike and get a new girlfriend." It's your life, and it's incredibly short even if you live to be 90. You can either live it as you see fit, or you can live it according to the wishes of others, it's your choice. The first of those two choices, in my opinion, is the ONLY way to truly enjoy the time we have here.

10. stickboy274

deep water. large hungry lizards.

11. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

I did that? Didn't do it on purpose if I did. Hey wait a minute what are you talking about? We didn't practice together and I was well clear of the track when you came through after I highsided. [​IMG]

12. td930

td930 Well-Known Member

i started schools and track days in '97 first race in 8-98 at road atlanat (of old)

wife said "why do you have to race, why can't you just ride your harley".....when i got my harley in '93 she said "why do you have to ride a harley, on the street, why can't you hunt or golf?"

when i started to hunt in '89 she'd say "why do i have to go hunting.....ya-da-ya-da

well i quit hunting in '95, quit golf(that dangerous game)in '96, hardley ride the hardley on the street....about once every 6 weeks....so in my mind the track is safer than most sports.....

i couldn't resist when my wife swam competitively in backstroke, years ago,the local news station had it on the sports segement.....she won her 100 yard backstoke but went head on into the wall at the finish, no shite, so when she bugs me about crashing, i remind her about crashing [​IMG]

13. Wacky Jackie

Wacky Jackie Well-Known Member

Maybe when you bring your better-half to Roebling you could suggest that she work corners. Because that way she becomes involved and sees first hand the safety steps that are taken. And she will be a part of the Team...
    As far as safety, I ride on the street and love it. I know it's not totally safe but it's a calculated risk...and for me the benefits out-weigh the risks.
    Some riders like to take their bikes to the edge on the street but I don't think that's the place to do it because you can hurt someone else. If you want to ride on the edge or over the edge...the tracks the place!

14. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

15. WERA476

WERA476 Well-Known Member

Street equals:

Blue hairs in Caddy's, potholes, dogs, deer, gravel, oil, The Man, cell phone talkers and god knows many others that I'm forgetting.

I lived in NC before Atlanta so riding on the street didn't seem as terrifying as it does here. I did go down twice though in NC, once due to a tucked front in the mountains and the other because someone forced me off. I always liked riding on the street and still do. Since living in Atlanta though I haven't ridden on the street since 99 when I had my last street bike. Now I rent one for the weekend maybe for the Ride4Kids program or maybe when I go to the beach but that's about it.

As for the track well my mom use to really worry about me racing. She went though and accepted it as something I love. But up until last Nov. I think she still wished I wouldn't. Then in Nov. due to someone elses ignorance I got tore up in a car accident that placed me in a helicopter to the trauma center. Since I've started racing the worse injury I've had was a fractured knee cap and some bangs and bumps.

I just feel that I control things a lot more when I'm on the track. Yes you are going much faster but if something does happen it is much safer. Corner workers, ambulances, friends and family. Plus you can control how fast you want to go on the track. My dad is going on 55 and races at the back of the pack every weekend but that's just fine with him because he's having fun. Go down in Atlanta,....good luck.....dice roll. Go down in the mountains hope that someone sees you or the motor home doesn't drift ove the line.

As for the SO I'm single at this point and time but when do get involved with others I make it a point to let them know what it is I do.

I would be curious as the percentages of your chance of being injured or killed on the street be it on a bike or in a car. Compared to your chances on the race track. I dare say the car or street bike is far greater because of the frequency. I mean I race on average two weekends month as compared to driving almost everyday.

Good luck

Chris

16. Alabummer

Alabummer wera854nv

17. stickboy274

you have to try to get the whip away from her so she will quit hitting you with it

18. PKS

PKS Happiness is belt fed!

There's something evil and selfish afoot when someone stomps on another person's dreams.

19. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

I don't think she'll like the swamp very much, Stick.

Let me put this in a little better perspective for y'all. I've been riding dirt bikes for about 9 or 10 years, I've only been riding on the street for a little over a year, and I've been with her for over 7 years. She knows I love riding and she knows my competitive nature, but she gets worried about me and my involvement in a sport that she does not have the same love for. I am going to try to get her to go to Roebling to meet some of you guys. I hope that will get her on her way to understanding the sport and the fellowship that racers share.

But I'm not dumping her in the swamp.

20. stickboy274

ok but the big hungry lizards will be upset. at least try to get the whip from her. i dont want to get hit while she is swinging it at you