I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I don’t know how close you are to Cisco GA for early March but check out Mickey at CarryTrainer
    https://carrytrainer.com/training-courses/

2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Stainless is more accurate. CHF is more supposed to be more accurate over time. Chrome lined lasts longer at the expense of accuracy.

that said, my 18” barrel is chrome lined and not CHF. It’s also still one of the “best” (as John said, kinda depends on definition) on the market. Was the barrel of the marine corps marksman team for years (not sure if it still is), can hold sub-moa groups at 800 yards with the right ammo if the shooter does their part, and I can consistently make shots at 1k yards with it if the wind isn’t too bad. That barrel is far more capable than I and I’m not really sure how much “better” it can get from there. So who the fuck knows?:crackup:

3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I guess 'better' would be accuracy and durability.

I think i would want both in 1 barrel. Or a happy medium with 1 barrel.

In the end, i think accuracy is the most important. Why try to improve on target shooting if you're using a less accurate barrel. I realize I'm shopping for barrels in the budget dept, but that's what noobs do right? :)

4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

If you really want bargains then:
    https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/guns-parts/ar-15/ar-15-complete-upper-assembly.html
    Better
    https://diamondbackfirearms.com/product-category/uppers/
    Local (Northern KY)
    https://andersonmanufacturing.com/all-products/upper-receiver/complete-uppers.html
    Also local (Forest Park)
    https://faxonfirearms.com/upper-receivers/ar-15/ar-9-upper-receivers/

gapman789 likes this.
  5. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

man i still have yet to shoot under white lights, looks like you experienced a bunch

6. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Just figured out that my Sig XMacro mags work in my CZ P10C. Now I can pay $65 for magazines that rust and add 1 extra round of capacity to my CZ. No slide lock after the last round though.

7. redtailracing

To be honest I wouldn't worry too much about accuracy at 10.5". I'd lean more towards consistency and longevity. CHF and heavier profile. Effective range from a 10.5 is significantly reduced as it is and at those distances, you're really only worried about minute of man anyways. Or at least that would be my purpose with shorter barrels. My range days with those are going to consist of higher volume of fire in shorter time at shorter distances. I'm not trying to hold sub moa groups. I'm trying to maintain minute of man groups, even as the barrel gets hot, and CHF, heavier profiles, & chrome lining will help with that. Just my .02.

gapman789 likes this.
  8. redtailracing

It was definitely an experience. And a lot of fun. Definitely try it if you get a chance. I keep trying to immerse myself in different shooting environments to learn more and so far it's working. I can't overstate the value I'm finding in running these 3 gun comps with a well run & creative crew.

sanee and GixxerJohn011 like this.
  9. gapman789

what do you mean when you say 'heavier profiles'? Find the heaviest upper available?

Got my Franklin binary triggered lower today....Only took 33 mins to get the ok from the FFL. (rollseyes). Better than a delay that i get 75% of the time.

I'm having a helluva time figuring out what i want to build it into. Definitely doing AR Pistol...I was leaning 300 blackout, 10.5", just because. But damn, ammo is on the high side.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
  10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

gapman789 likes this.
  11. six6two

six6two AWD

12. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

This, is a pistol. And it's fuckin' awesome.

2.jpg

13. redtailracing

Jed covered the barrels so I’ll just go into the .300blk discussion. I’d personally advise against it… for now. It’s a very niche caliber and, in my opinion, just over complicates life for a newer shooter. It is a very cool diverse round. But niche nonetheless and expensive to shoot for what it is. So fill some of the other more practical roles in your arsenal first, then circle back to .300blk, get you a suppressor, and have fun shooting subs on occasion.

RonR likes this.
  14. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I like 300 blk a lot.
    But before I built one I had a few 5.56 in different configurations and a couple 10s. So if you have covered the “mandatory “ calibers then jump on the 300 bandwagon. Everyone that has shot mine with subs and a can really love it.

15. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

If anyone wants in the thermal game I gotta brand new unopened thermion 2 xp50 pro I can let go for pretty good discount

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  16. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

yeah i need to start back up with the competitions as that might be my chance for low light stuff. Year or so ago i shot in the rain just to see what its like haha

17. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Damn you! If I didn't just drop 3k on guns Sunday I would be really interested. Do you accept ebt card by chance?:D

Steak Travis likes this.
  18. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

19. gapman789

Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
  20. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

redtailracing likes this.