1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. I personally think it is bullshit that people can automatically become felons simply by doing nothing.

That was the case made to Congress by a representative (I watched a video on it this morning). In his speech he stated “People could be law abiding citizens, and wake up the next day felons, simply by doing nothing. That is not right”.

If they want to make a rule, then it should be “After this date, _____ will be enforced” (That’s my opinion, that wasn’t mentioned in the video).

If something was legally obtained at the time of purchase, that should be it. If you want to make something illegal going forward, so be it (which is also bullshit, but that’s not the point I’m making).

The point is, they shouldn’t be able to make retroactive rules.

Chango likes this.
  2. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Meh.
    I've already got a number of stamps, and can very easily change out the brace for the tube I referenced above and put an end-plate on the MP5 and be compliant.

3. Jedb

Right, that processing time is in the "Wait time to Review" part of what I outlined, not the Review to Approval time queue.

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Ive heard all of the above and i'm choosing to wait and see what happens with the court actions currently taking place all over the countries.

Photo and Gorilla George like this.
  5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I comprehend that, just don't think it makes a damn bit of difference

6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

The last I heard this issue affects 30-40 million Americans?

7. Jedb

That's cool. I think that this is more of a non-event than the levels of paranoia that are generated around the worst case / what if scenario.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Is it an .88 Magnum?

[​IMG]

9. Yeah, they don’t know the true number. Estimates are anywhere between 5m and 40m.

10. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

That's probably the smartest thing to do. I was going to remove the buffer tube and replace it with a plug since I have a cmmg conversion and they don't even know if that will be legal or it will become a 22lr SBR.

11. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

It's tough to determine what problem the ATF is trying to solve with the brace BS. Remove the brace, and the weapon becomes easier to conceal, more murderey. Add the brace, it's now an SBR, which has worse ballistics than a long rifle, so less murderey. It's almost as if they just want more gun owner data and to make fewer guns legal... :rolleyes:

thrak410, brex and Gorilla George like this.
  12. What exactly is the purpose of the 5.7 round?

I know it offers less recoil and higher ft/sec, but why that round in a handgun?

Seems to me like a 9mm would be a better choice for self-defense.

The 5.7 seems awful skinny; like it would just poke a small hole in something, while going really fast.

13. Well, the original point (going back to 1934) was an attempt to effectively tax the SBR out of existence.

People could cut the barrel down and make it easier to conceal, which was deemed a bigger threat. But per the 2nd Amendment they couldn’t just ban them. So instead they put a HUGE tax on them. Back in 1934 $200 was an assload of money. So they figured that would be a deterrent, and they would go away. But it didn’t work.

As far as what’s going on today? I have no idea. You would think they would WANT guns to be more accurate and easier to control.

There is no logic in any of it. IMO it is just an attempt to create a registry and take one more step towards eliminating them altogether.

14. Tristan

.22lr like capacity with more lethality. Kinda like a handheld 5.56. Small hole until it hits something like bone then starts spinning...
    I'm intrigued, but ammo is gonna have to get a lot cheaper for me to jump in.

15. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

I've never fired one, but after watching reviews of the new S&W showing virtually no muzzle rise, monkey wants one.

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. Tristan

And the ability to use cheapish .22 suppressors is nice

Gorilla George likes this.
  17. Hmm, that actually makes sense. I’ve been debating on adding another caliber. I figured it would be 10mm. But I might have to try a 5.7.

RonR likes this.
  18. Ah shit I just remembered my indoor range has a big sign on the door that says “NO 5.7 ROUNDS!”

I’d only be able to shoot it at the outdoor range, which limits my winter fun.

19. Tristan

Just slap a label on the box of ammo "I identify as .22lr"

Sabre699 and Gorilla George like this.
  20. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

The 20ish grain variety (can barely find anymore) defeat body armor. Speed is king. If you push it fast enough, a tiny bullet does a lot more damage than a big but slow bullet.