1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

They are functional but I’ve Never needed irons even stalking in the hard wood bottoms and creeks. Also making this rifle an ode to the one I grew up hunting with. It had an off set mount so maybe I could do that and still have them available
    [​IMG]

Steeltoe likes this.
  2. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Damn I’m looking and i think that might be a Winchester.. whatever close enough

3. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I know, not a handgun but it does have a 1911 style grip.

[​IMG]

4. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

Anybody have any experience with the RIA VR80 shotgun?

Looking to step up to open division in 3Gun and there’s no way I’m dropping $3k in a Reliable AK based shotgun.

The VR seems to be getting ring good reviews and I’ve seen a few run at local matches .

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

For 3 months now I've been trying to trade a Springfield for a CZ75B with no luck. Then out of the blue one of my superintendents says he was at a gun show over the weekend and found my CZ. He bought it and traded for my Springfield. Win/win all the way around:D Damn thing is basically brand new...still has the shipping oil on it.

[​IMG]gif hosting

6. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Has anyone purchased a LEO turn-in pistol from a website sight unseen? There are some pretty sweet deals out there for Sig P229 in .40S&W and I was wondering if they're worth the gamble. I don't know of any shops in the area that have any to see in person.

K51000 likes this.
  7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Man. That right there is a sweet pistol. I'd keep it on my desk just to look at it. Very nice.

8. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

They are usually graded "A", "B" or "VG", "Fair" etc. I've bought several. Never really had one show up worse than what I was expecting. I've always bought them from the larger dealers that had reputations though. Most duty pistols are carried a ton and shot very little. So they have some finish wear but look new inside.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  9. rd400racer

Thank you sir. I agree , it’s right up there with a Browning Hi Power as far as nice looking pistols go.

10. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Personally I wouldn’t do it.
    My agency allows us to buy back our guns at a fraction of the price. Then they sell off the rest. They are sold to us so cheap that unless you beat the hell out of it why wouldn’t you buy it back (IMO)
    Guys who don’t take care of their stuff and guys who beat the hell out of their guns are the first to not buy back their guns.
    I bought all my guns back even though I used them a lot and they may have been near the end of their life but for me it was a sentimental thing.
    You could get lucky and get the gun that some PIO (public information officer) guy had. He prolly qualifies with his gun twice a year and never shoots it otherwise. Or you could end up with a gun with thousands of rounds through it and took a beating during SERT training.

Also not sure of the life expectancy of the springs in the P229 but our entire department had to swap out springs in our P227 just due to normal use. So wear and tear items like that will need replaced. So if a guy retired 6 months ago and you bought his gun you would have no idea it should get a new spring it.

Ride safe,
    AAron

K51000 likes this.
  11. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

not sure where you are in the US but if you happen to buy a second hand glock, you can always run by the Glock offices in Atlanta and they will go thru it and replace any parts that are even slightly out of spec. including magazines (usually).

I know you were looking at Sigs but worth noting for anyone else considering a used glock of any variety. They will also instal night sight for cheap during your visit. Just be warned if you have any aftermarket parts in it, you will get them back in a plastic bag (connectors, etc).

OGs750 likes this.
  12. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

While this is likely all true, I bought a trade-in M&P that I blasted off about 1,000 trouble free round through without cleaning or checking anything before I got my first hangup (which I blame on the totally filthy bulk ammo I used.) It was a bit scuffed up, but not bad. Mechanically very sound, if it had 500 rounds through it I would be surprised.

My G19 was a trade in too, and I ran about 8,000 rounds through it over 20 years before I finally noticed a crack in the frame, then shot another 2,000 rounds before remembering to send it in. They swapped frame out for free, and replaced every spring and the firing pin and sights. Basically just got my slide and barrel back on new everything else.

OGs750 likes this.
  13. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

What grades do you usually purchase? Have any recommendations on reputable sites to use? I'm new to the hobby, so I don't know who the good ones are. budsgunshop is a site that's been mentioned by a friend.

Thanks for the info. Even factoring in springs and other maintenance items, it still seems like I'd come out with a deal, no?

14. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

:offtopic:
    You shot 2,000 rounds through a gun with cracked frame and you are giving advice... interesting :crackup:

So you remember to count rounds but not that the gun was cracked. Yea.

Ride safe,
    AAron

MachineR1 likes this.
  15. shakazulu12

Aim Surplus, Sportsman Outdoors Superstore, Bud's and I know I've used two or three others that I can't recall off the top of my head.

There is usually a big price difference somewhere around the middle grade to the top ones. So I buy the middle one, swap springs if needed and go on about my way.

OGs750 likes this.
  16. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Round counts approximate. call it +/- 500 if that makes you feel better. I could detail why the crack didn't concern me, but it won't matter. My point was Glock warrantied it for me as non-original owner, some 20 odd years on down the road. I doubt Smith would. Or Sig for that matter. But still, they might, and most of those trade-ins are in pretty solid mechanical condition from my limited experience.

17. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

So, what's the best way i can buy a legal, decent handgun like a 9mm? I've asked a few friends, only one was willing to sell, and wanted $600. I'm just looking for something I would shoot at a range, and sometimes carry open on my bike, and I'm gonna get my CCP too. (Concealed Carry permit?) A 9mm for $200 or even less? When I mentioned to the wife- I was amazed when she said 'good, I'll learn to shoot it too'. Oh wait, should I be worried LOL?

18. rd400racer

I'm a huge fan of the Taurus G2C for $200. I like mine so much I bought one for my son. 9mm and holds 12 rounds. I've got big meat hands and it fits me fine.

[​IMG]

Target from the very first time I fired it (7 yards)

[​IMG]russian image host

19. shakazulu12

Is there any reason why you haven't simply gone to your local gunshop and bought one? Why are you hitting up friends and people on a web forum? You are going to have to go to the gunshop to run a background check either way. If you don't like what they have, either order through them. Or simply order from an online shop who will ship it to them so that they can run your background check.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

jksoft, DucatiBomber and rd400racer like this.
  20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Wouldn't the mags be shot from being loaded for the last several years?