I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

Forgot I even posted this. But since I posted this, a Vette almost identical to mine has had his wheels stolen not once.. but TWICE in the same damn month, in my girlfriends neighborhood. Can you believe somebody really had to nerve to come back and steal this guys wheel's again? Right out in front of his home? Right after they just stole them a couple of weeks before??

So glad that I listened my own gut.. and stopped parking my car over there. Happened about 2 months ago. My G23 has stayed over her house ever since. And wont move until she moves out that apt. I'm thinking about taking her to the store to pick out a nice little .38

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

A bear gun and a home defense gun are not the same gun. I wouldn't dare use a 357 against anything larger than a small black bear. 44mag with HOT hunting loads is about the smallest thing I'd shoot a big bear with. You could use a 44mag with 44 special rounds for home defense I guess. The thought of letting loose a 44mag, or god forbid a 454 or 460 round inside... my ears are bleeding just thinking about it. Plus, trying to get a bead on a "bad guy" with that kind of recoil is just stupid.

Home defense, if it must be a hand gun... 9mm like a glock 19 with a nice big magazine. Bear gun you can get a Taurus 44mag for 4-500, load it up with some Hornady hunting rounds, or go all out with some Buffalo Bore (just don't shoot it much with those rounds) and take down the big bad bear. :)

3. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

The more I think about it, the more I think the Taurus Judge or the Smith and Wesson version posted earlier would be a good home defense gun when loaded with buckshot.

They look like they do a bunch of stuff, but do nothing well. Handy in close quarters nonetheless .

4. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

No it's not and you're correct. But in my personal opinion, the shotgun is the better option. Along with picking the right bullet, it's a lot easier to hit someone with buckshot than a single bullet.

5. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Dude, don't tempt me. ROFL

6. Almostryan3

Almostryan3 Well-Known Member

My HD gun is my 930spx. 00buck. Shotgun IMO is the easiest to use for anyone in HD situation. Although I do have a pistol at the ready as well. But I'm grabbing the mossberg first

7. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Exactly. And the other benefit to the shotgun is that sound is universally acknowledged. That lets the intruder know that there is something bad about to happen and the chance to leave. The overall goal, to me, is not to have to shoot someone. Purely a last resort.

8. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

You make me home sick. I spent 39 years in and around Chickaloon, AK. Lots of bear stories. My dad taught us to shoot for the shoulders. Makes the bear run in circles. Then in a vital area. Sure enough when you see where a bear dies this way on the tundra it looks like a bulldozer worked the place over.

In the early 1970's (my early 20's) I would hike in for sheep hunting and carry my 6 MM with me (model 600 carbine) without a pistol. One day I woke up and realized we were carrying sheep meat through miles of bear country and using a 6 MM for protection. I sold that 6 MM and started carrying an 06 Springfield based sporter. I had a neighbor that shot a polar bear with an 06 220 gr silver tip. I'm not sure I would have done that but I think it is a safe caliber for inland bear.

However, in my 30's I started hunting strictly alone and mostly from a Cub. That's when I began to carry a short, heavy barrel 375 and a 44 pistol for moose, caribou and bear. True, I was over-gunned but I slept better at night. I had friends that would carry a 357 but I always heard from the "experts" that a 357 was too small.

In the 90's when we started dip netting on the Copper River we would ride our 4 wheelers as far as possible down the river. I always carried my 12 ga 870 in my scabbard and the 44 under my arm. There were definitely bear around and of course you usually smelled like a salmon. This sure made for some hair raising memories. But I never felt unprotected.

9. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

10. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Yep, I'm with you. Nothing like racking a pump action shotgun. Assuming you're not dealing with a cracked out meth head, that sound certainly does say "Think it over..."

I agree, but recently read an interesting article about how a pistol offers the benefit of being able to retreat to a safe-ish place, and get on the phone with 911 with your free hand detailing what is happening while being ready to engage if need be. Food for thought.

I also used to load 00 buck, but switched to #4 buck after doing some testing on replica interior walls. LOTS of over penetration with 00, but still very important to be aware whats beyond your target no matter what load though.

Have you patterned yours with that load and distance? At typical in-home ranges the pattern is not very large at all. If you mean by having a longer sight radius for better aiming, I agree though.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  11. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

After 19 pages, if we're still talking about handguns, I'm trying to find someone to talk me out of a Springfield XDM 9 Compact. Anyone own one and have any gripes?

I like the interchangeable backstraps, the extended mag (19), and in the 100 rounds or so I put through one, it shot real nice for a relatively short barrel. Good weight and feel to it. I currently have a Glock 19 that, for reasons I can't quite identify, I hate shooting. Looking to replace it with this.

http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/specs_1.html

Any input?

12. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

It's ugly.

13. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Ducati people; always putting form over function ...

;)

14. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Only Nancy Men shoot polymer guns. Oh wait... I still have 2 polymer pistols.

15. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

A handgun is a perfectly acceptable tool to use to fight your way to your rifle.

16. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that you don't like the Glock 19. Have you figured out why you don't like it?

I'm not familiar with the Springfield so I can't offer anything on it. I have looked and handled (today in fact) one of the New Sig P939 9mm pistols and it feels like a great weapon. I think it's narrower, and slightly smaller, than the Springfield although I haven't compared them side by side.

I like the Sig because of the easier slide spring compression. I'm getting some arthritis in my thumbs so it's uncomfortable trying to rack my Taurus PT111. The biggest problem I have to overcome with the Sig is the frigging price. Suggested retail is $823.00. So far the best price I've found is about $700.00 if the store can get one.

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Don't rack the slide like you're pulling a slingshot. Over the top clamshell grip is the proper way.

18. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

Do you have the cheap factory NON night sights on it? I don't like them very much, but have yet to replace them on mine.

19. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

Someone mention bears? Latest addition to the fam...

[​IMG]

20. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Congrats. Waiting on the new G30s to come out. G30 frame with a G36 slide for slimmer carry. As un-sexy as Glocks are, they just work (when they don't shoot brass into your face anyway).