1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Yeah, being a LEO, you most likely need the highest capacity mags that you can obtain. :Poke:

I couldn’t resist :beer:

Steeltoe, Britt and Marid2apterbilt like this.
  2. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I’ll can get the after action report and relay numbers of shots exchanged from then active shooter situation we had in Pittsburgh on Saturday at the Synagogue if anyone is interested. (and can keep it from being dungeon BS).

Ride safe,
    AAron

3. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

Anybody got any experience with an STI Marauder?

Found one I think is a decent deal and perfect for 3Gun.

I’ve shot the DVC 3Gun model and loved it. The only thing I worry about is reliability. At local 3Gun matches I see the most FTEs and FTFs from STIs and th like. Meanwhile my RIA doublestack just runs and runs.

But damn the fit and finish (bling) of the STIs and other true 2011s are nice.

4. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

My experience at Shooting matches has been the same. The people that I see having failures are the ones with the ridiculous expensive overpriced "race guns". I never understood why people pay those kind of prices for their guns. And then have problems with them. Makes no sense to me. My stock guns shoot as good or better and I don't have any issues. Plus if I want to sell them, I don't lose a shit ton of money on the deal. My guns - CZ SP-01 9mm pistol, KelTec Gen2 Sub 2000 Glock Mag 9mm carbine, Mossberg Maverick 88 12ga and Colt/Aero Precision AR-15.

5. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

That’s why I’m worried about dropping the $$ for one. When they shoot they are the smoothest pistols I’ve shot. Just seem to see a lot of problems with them at the range.

It could be it’s mostly the top shooters and they’ve probably tweaked the ammo and everything else to get them so smooth that any little thing could cause the malfunction.

6. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

I’ve run a marauder for several years now in USPSA. it’s been the most reliable gun I’ve ever owned.

I just sent it back to STI to have them go through it and change out the barrel. I have close to 50k rd’s through it.

Remember STI has a lifetime warranty. If it doesn’t work, send it in.

I’m so happy with them my unit just bought 60 of them and will be buying another 60 this fiscal year.

Also don’t blame the gun until you know the shooters ammo and what mags he’s using. Biggest issue with guns. Crap ammo and out of service mags with weak springs etc etc.

7. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

@wsmc 589 , are you running limited minor? Never really figured out a class for a 9mm 2011 in USPSA. I saw STI is introducing a new "single stack 2011" that looks pretty cool.

8. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

You're right about biggest issues. It usually is magazines. Sometimes ammo.

9. wsmc 589

Limited minor.

Running a 135gr 9mm. Tough class.

Their single stack 2011 is a 1911 correct?

10. shakazulu12

They are calling it a "single stack 2011" (their words). Basically they build the grip/chassis the same way they build their 2011's, but it takes 1911 mags and is narrower. They are not using an actual 1911 frame since it's not metal. Word is they will be building 5 inch versions with bushing barrels for competition next year after they have vetted the concept a bit. I'm curious if that is SS legal though, since I thought you had to have a metal frame. But I haven't looked at the rulebook, and probably just think that because I associate 1911's with single stack and nothing else.

[​IMG]

DucatiBomber, Razr and Steeltoe like this.
  11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

That is nice.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  12. wsmc 589

Hmmmm. I’ll be honest I don’t know that’s a requirement because I don’t compete in that class. However STI makes and advertises in the competition market so it leads me to believe its legal somewhere.

Their MIL/LEO rep is a shooter. I’m going to forward this and see what he has to say.....

13. shakazulu12

Yeah, this one is compact size. 3.9 inch barrel, 8 round mag. Check their IG, they had at it a comp last week and were having a contest to see who could ring the steel fastest. People were shooting the hell out of them. Odd that they are marketing the carry version first. But with Dave Dawson back at STI, I trust they are going to be putting out some quality stuff.

14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Does anyone cast their own shotgun slugs out of bird/target loads and then make low recoil slugs on the cheap?

I love shooting slugs, but $1/round gets old when the casting materials are $50 total, and a box of 100 target loads is $20

15. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

related-ish, help me decide...

AR pistol, brace, 7.5"... after an optic. why would i choose a Vortex something or an Aimpoint Comp M5 or an Aimpoint Micro T2 or something from Eotech over one or the other? None of that Trijicon ACOG sized shit. What I'm after:

- Compact
    - Long(ish) battery life
    - Quality
    - Co-witness (maybe? i dunno how much i care there?)
    - Everything seems to be 1MOA or 2MOA i dunno that i really care about that either as a selling point

the AAA batteries seem kind of appealing and easy/cheap to deal with for how long they supposedly last. USB battery charging also seems kinda appealing, i dunno. too many damn choices. Suggestions? Thanks.

16. wsmc 589

With a 7.5 inch barrel, you’re not going to care about sub-moa anyway.

However, every gun I own I put optics on that are of high quality because I expect to either use them in competition or defense. That probably doesn’t answer your question but I see optics like helmets. Buy the best.

I run off-set irons. I freaking love them. The disadvantage is I can’t confirm zero(ish) of my red dot. Perhaps another reason I chose a quality optic. But for my work guns, if I come out of the car or bearcat and my glass is fogged I can rotate slightly and have irons ready to go. Gunfights are timed events. I don’t want to have to flip up and iron or transition to my pistol in a rifle fight.

I wouldn’t mess with rechargeable. I keep spares on me for all lights/optics.

Oh. I like the eo-tech because I know with the ring it helps me adjust my mechanical off-set up close.

I also like the MRO for its simple knob to adjust brightness. The MRO to me is like Aimpoint and EO-tech had a baby. The downside is it’s a tube. Some don’t like that.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    DucatiBomber and Sweatypants like this.
  17. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

a little yea. i'm blank slate on this so any opinion helps. i'll keep reading, thanks.

18. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I have irons and an Eotech that are co-witnessed for my AR-Pistol. I've tried a couple of Red-Dots, but for me they are a bit small, and the EoTech seems to work better for me. I think my AR barrel is a 10.5" barrel.

If you can, I would suggest that you check with friends that have Red-Dots (Vortex, Aimpoint, Holosun, etc) as well as those that have EoTech, and see how you work with the sights if they'll let you shoot their guns.

EoTech w/Irons - Co-witness
    AR Pistol
    300Blk SBR x2

AR 16"
    Trijicon ACOG with Docter red-dot and back up irons
    1.5-5 Leupold with back up irons

19. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I put a Sig Romeo 3 on my AR pistol. It’s just a plinking toy and it works great.
    [​IMG]

triplestrong and Sweatypants like this.
  20. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

All the ones you mentioned are great (I have em all except Eotechs). Look at the Vortex Sparc AR 1x. I currently have one on my Keltec KSG. I'm trying to break it. After almost 1000 heavy rounds thru that little bastard it hasn't missed a beat. For the money and lifetime warranty you can't go wrong. I think I got it from Palmetto with a bunch of Pmags for around 190 bones.

Sweatypants likes this.