1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I crashed my ass off yesterday at RRR. Guess why...

Discussion in 'General' started by todzuki, Mar 19, 2005.

1. lfg929

lfg929 Well-Known Member

I know what your problem was. You had the spiffy brand new paint job on there. Nothing attracts a crash like brand new paint. You are supposed to drag the lower around on the ground a bit before you slip it on to go out on the track (just get the underside and nobody will see it anyway). That way the paint has some scratches on it and the pavement gods will leave you alone. :D

I had ridden on the track for 3 years plus another 5 years of street riding before that and had never had a crash, ever. When I decided to race I got my bike all prepped and had a nice paint job done on it. The bike still smelled of new paint. The 2nd day out at a track day I chucked it in T1 at Nelson Ledges.

BTW, it is the same with new gear. If you get new gear then go roll around in the grass with it on before you hit the track for the first time. Gets rid of all those nasty crash demons...

2. 34D

34D Banned

ooooooorrrrrrrrr.............you could try tire warmers:D

3. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Sorry to hear about the 1K

But Roebling is tough on bikes. I should know...I've destroyed 4 (out of the 5 bikes I've totaled on track) at Roebling. Sad but true.

I think it's the relatively soft sand/ground that gets the bikes flipping.

Either way....T3 can be damned nasty. My favorite turns are RRR turn 7 (SV650 & R6) and turn 9 (FZR400 and R6). Staying away has limitied my destoyed bikes...which is nice!

4. F4Scott

F4Scott Step out of the car

That sucks big time, Todd.

Glad you are OK. The bike looks like shit though :D

Hope your dad is a TV Repairman, cause your gonna need a bitchin' set of tools for that. :eek:

You know from personal experience that it could be WAY worse, though

Scott P.

5. Sorry to here man...looks pretty tore up! Looks like Michelin tires on that bike huh:tut:

You know you can't run on them when they are cold...what did you think you were on Pirelli's:D

Anyway, good luck gettin her back together.

6. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Bummer, Chuck!
    Tossed it in 9 back in '97 myself. Solo 20, led every lap, 2 or 3 laps to go and tucked the front going around a lapper. I slid gracefully to a stop and jumped to my feet, thinking I would restart the bike and salvage a finish in the $$$. Realized all was lost when 15 feet from my bike I saw one of my carbs lying on the ground with the cable dangling like an ugly weed. Savannah's soft sand likes to grab bikes an.... SPROINNNNGGGGGG!!!!!! Flip them up into the air. Good luck getting it back together!:beer:

7. dave333

dave333 traveler

Say it ain't so! I always thought that was an urban legend or an old wives tale...

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

No legend. Been there, done that. :)

9. dave333

dave333 traveler

So the rule of thumb that says "no warmers, no michelins" is a good one???

10. bluebye

bluebye skinitback

Glad you are OK. Now get to work:D

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Don't know. I haven't raced Michelins in a long time.

12. 0hi0

0hi0 Husband Killing Tool

I was pitted right behind that turn and just just took my helmet off. I seen your bike flying at least 15 feet in the air end over end. Here are some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. todzuki

todzuki got OBS?

Note to self:

Bike returning on crash truck on its side - never good.

By the way. Michelin had nothing to do with it. I knew better, I screwed up. If I were on Pirelli's, the same result would have happened. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't ridden on Michelins lately. What you did on Michelins 2, 3, or 4 years ago is comparing apples to oranges. I rode Pirelli last season. For me, Michelin is a much better tire. Much better. Look at the picture, I look like the jolly pink giant. :)

14. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

yeah uhh, why? i would have thought that even in its shape stnding upright would have been a bit better for it

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Todd, if those were new leathers there's your problem.

The crash gods hate new leathers.

16. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

And I look like a blue smurf :rolleyes: ;)

17. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

LMFAO!!!!!

18. 0hi0

0hi0 Husband Killing Tool

Well, you took better than I would of!
    [​IMG]

19. 418

418 Expert #59

Yup, I think Todd was pimpin' the new leathers.

If you were wearing the Axo's, you could have given us a first hand account of the quality/crashability of that stuff Todd. ;)

20. todzuki

todzuki got OBS?

not new leathers. I did, on the first time I ever wore them, crash. So you have a point there.