HVAC Pros- Thermostats and zones

Discussion in 'General' started by SUPER K, Aug 26, 2018.

1. SUPER K

SUPER K Run-off Tester

My family lives in a split level home with electric heating and cooling from one central system with one thermostat. Slab on grade, 2x4 walls, poor insulation.

Typical problem, upstairs gets warmer in summer and winter. I’ve tried adjusting vents to trim the AC towards the upper level in summer, and heat towards the lower level in winter. The thermostat is on the main level at the center of the entire floor plan. It seems the large stairwell with high ceiling allows the warm air upwards to the upper level.

Move the thermostat? If I move the thermostat to the landing in the stairwell will that show a better picture of whole house temp? Destroy a ceiling to add a zone with separate thermostat via low voltage dampener? Our home was built cheaply and I realize better insulation would improve the situation, but were trying to get by on a budget.

I work construction so I have a basic knowledge and grasp, but I’m a glazier not an HVAC tech or installer. Thanks for any help.

2. Damper if you can get in and run wires to an additional thermostat. We have dual zone with one unit and it helps A LOT.