1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Husky SM510 exhaust recommendations?

Discussion in 'General' started by Slider82, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Supermoto for quite a while now and had just about decided on an Aprilia SXV550. I received some great advise on here about them and although there were some problems with the 2007 models, it looks like they got them dialed in for 2008 and really have a jam up bike.

However, as I was looking around for a used SXV there was one post from the BBS that kept haunting me, always there in the back of my mind.

The comment was made, "You're going to get locked up if you try to ride that SXV 550 on the street".

I think the guys name was Ted. Or Ed. Or Fred.

There seems to be some confusion about his name going back several years, as well as some questionable dealings in the black market cam import/export business but that didn't cause me to question his judgement on the SXV. It just seemed unlikely that I would be unable to show proper restraint on one and would wind up in jail.

Having a couple of good prospects on used SXVs and really ready to drop the hammer on one, I happened to get a chance to talk to one of the local police officers and mentioned I would be getting one soon.

He looked at me kinda strange and said "You're gonna wind up in jail".

So, after another long search and a longer drive, I just bought a 2006 Husky SM 510.

It needs a few things like fresh tires, which I would appreciate any help on. Right now it looks like a pair of Bridgestone BT 016s are in it's future unless something happens to change my mind. The rear is a kind of oddball size, 150/60-17 which really limits selection. But the 016s are supposed to be pretty good for this bike and a decent price.

The main thing is the exhaust. I like to be able to hear a bike, especially a single, so a slip-on or full system is on the short list.

Has anybody compared the difference in HP between a slip-on and a full system on a dyno?

The prices on both are ridiculous for a single IMO, but the full system is about twice what a slip-on costs and I could justify it if it really does make more power.

Any and all input on this bike is appreciated, it will eventually make it onto the track but I'm going to spend a little time on the street getting used to it.

And thanks again Ted, Ed or whatever the hell your name is.;):D:beer:

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

i'm curious. Why would a SXV550 land you in jail but a SM510 wouldn't? :)

3. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

everything you want to know about sxv's www.apriliaforum.com > forums > aprilia vtwin 5.5 4.5 sxv rxv mxv section

4. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

I have a SMR450 with a full LeoVince Titanium pipe. Even with the most restrictive insert, it's loud as Hell. With the race insert, it's loud even by track standards. Threw the jetting off, so i just leave the street insert in all the time, same basic performance anyway.

This was the older design with the short, far muffler. Maybe the newer one is a bit quieter.

I ran the Continential SM tires for the last few years. Did amazing well, especially on the street and even on road courses in the wet. They're a bit stiff, so I just got a set of BT-016s. We'll see how they do.

I don't ride the 450 on the street anymore. Just doesn't want to stay near the speed limit, and it's loud and obnoxious. If I had this bike in my early 20s, I would be in jail right now. :D

VERY easy to steel as well, good thing no one around here knows what it is. :eek:

5. bafflebrain

bafflebrain Well-Known Member

I got pulled over on my second ride on the SXV550...

6. Slider82

You'd have to ask Ted that, I don't know.

I do know that test riding the 510 in Daytona Beach before I bought it was as close to getting a pant load of tickets or trip to jail as I've come in a long time. Thinking back on every other run-in with Volusia/ Daytona Beach cops I've had before, I'm thinking jail time if not death row.

That 510 obviously has something wrong with it, probably suspension, because it was only through the grace of God that the front wheel was on the ground when I spotted the cop on the side of the road.;)

And this :D has nothing on the smile that was on my face on that ride! I LOVE my new bike!:clap:

7. Slider82

Yep, I went there while researching them, but nobody put things as succinctly as Ted.

8. Slider82

Edit: I know what you mean about the theft thing, I'll be working on that when I get it home.

Thanks Rich, I mean Anti, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.:up:

I'm leaning hard toward the Leo Vince full system. I can get one delivered for $806 and a slip-on is gonna run over $300 depending on the brand. And usually a slip-on makes more noise but if you want HP a full system is the way to go. There are always exceptions, that's why I asked. Thanks:beer:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  9. Slider82

Ted is wise beyond his years. Heard he's pretty fast too.;)