1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Prevent Overnight Theft?

Discussion in 'General' started by Andrewf125, May 26, 2009.

1. Andrewf125

Andrewf125 Well-Known Member

What kind of safety precautions do you take when you have to stay overnight at a hotel/motel for a race or trackday?

I'm talking more specifically to the people who load their bikes in the back of their pickup truck or tow it on an open trailer. What steps do you take to ensure that your bike is safe when you are sleeping?

I have a race bike with a keyless ignition and I am a bit weary leaving my bike in the back of my truck knowing that it would be an easy target.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  2. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

Chain up the bike with locks, chain the trailer up too. Remove the tow vehicle ECM/starter/fuel pump fuses or relays so it can't be stolen.

If possible, ask if you can park up front where the staff can see it all night.

3. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

Bring it in the room.

4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

:stupid:

I always got a bottom floor room and put it inside.

5. Emerson

Emerson BobbleHeadMoto

sleep with it!!

6. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Sleep in the truck with my S&W .40. Making things as difficult and time consuming for the potential thief. Most crooks are stupid and lazy looking for an easy score.

7. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 V7 Rookie

Ground floor hotel room. I've even driven an extra 30 min out of the way to get a ground floor room. Bring a short 1x6 to make it up & over the curbs. Don't tell the clerk you are going to store your bike inside as I'm sure it's against fire codes.

The looks from the other hotel guest are pretty funny when they see you rolling a race bike in/out of the room :wow:

8. mineshaved

mineshaved product of my enviroment

i chain the bike to the trailer and have a lock for the hitch, at least it will take them longer, and possibly be seen or just not do it..

9. cspencer123

cspencer123 250R Must pedal faster

After cable locks between bikes, I always covered them with a cheap dirty blue plastic tarp. Tied it down good all around so you could'nt see them and parked up front or under lights.

10. Game

Game zip tie master

At jennings i always sleep in the back of that ragety old ugly hotel, one night a white Van drove by and i got scccuured that was the end of my sleep.

11. krash

krash Well-Known Member

whenever possible we just sleep at the track. if thats not possible, I dont get any sleep.

12. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

I always tried to leave my bike locked at the track, usually security there overnight.

And as said, unplug the black box / coil wire / fuses of your tow rig.

13. 56cbr600rr

56cbr600rr Well-Known Member

Wow, I thought I was the only one that stressed it this much!

Now I won't be so hard on myself.

14. Venos

Venos Well-Known Member

Chain/lock your bike(s) down if you have an open trailer. If possible, leave the trailer attached to your vehicle and back the trailer up to a wall or something to prevent the doors or ramp from being opened and the trailer from being moved.

15. Asian Dave

Asian Dave Well-Known Member

I try and drop off my bikes early at the track and lock them up there. If that's not available and you're by yourself, lock the bike(s) in the truck and back up to a wall. If there's security at the hotel, give them a $20 spot to watch the bikes/truck.

If you have other friends also, we park back to back. Then we use a 30' cable and lock up the bikes all together.

16. daviid

daviid Well-Known Member

i usually tow a enclosed trailer, but the times that i dont, i just back it right upto a wall as close as possible.

17. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I'm like several here, I simply won't leave it unattended. Plus, and the rest of the expensive stuff, is chain locked to the trailer. The trailer is chain locked to the SUV. If I can't drop everything off at the track, I sleep in the truck at the track gates.

18. yeddy

yeddy Well-Known Member

I always drop my trailer off at the track beforehand. Paid off to. Begining of may dropped my trailer off went back to the room came out in the am and my truck was gone. Just damn happy my bike was still waiting at the track.

19. morbidelli17

morbidelli17 Well-Known Member

I'm saying this with love, brothers, find a different method of locking the bike other than/in addition to a chain. Chains/cables are defeated within seconds. I use them to lock up little stuff that an amateur thief would take - wheels, generators, a tool box. A pro after your bike, trailer or tow vehicle won't be deterred by a chain and especially not a cable.

I've done the bike-in-the-room thing. It has an additional benefit. If you're there with whoever you're sleeping with at that point in life, there are on-the-bike photo possibilities ...

20. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

True, but when you're sleeping in the back of the truck/SUV with your .45 close by...the noise it would take to defeat such measures will wake you up quickly. ;) My worry is more along the lines of a theft at the track.