1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do class action lawsuits work?

Discussion in 'General' started by james walker, Aug 21, 2014.

1. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

is there someone on the board that can help me file one?

...and can one even be filed against this Beeb for making me dumber by reading all the ruhtarded crap posted?

if McDonald's makes you fat, certainly this Beeb can be held liable for something. :cool::D

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Trying to get Doyle his yeller ferrari and get yourself a coupon for a free scoup of jimmys for your frozen yogurt?

Cha-ching! Jimmys for all, yeller ferrari for the lawyer!

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I'm no lawyer, but have been involved in a wage and hour type case that eventually went to the Alaska supreme court against BP.

There were 8 or 9 of us defendents. I recall asking my lawyer if our case was "class action", and IIRC, he said no, mostly because the number of defendants was not high enough.

I got the impression that Class Action involves ALOT of defendants....hundreds?....how many members here?

How many people you talkin holmes?

I could be wrong. I'm sure one of the legal types here will be along to set the record straight.

Whoever is doing you wrong....Just introduce them to Bowie and call it square :rolleyes:(I keed of course :D)

4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Class action suits are a great way for lawyers and a small handful of folks to make money.

5. A good friend of mine does class action stuff. Idk the exact number of people needed to qualify, but his usually involve hundreds, or even thousands of people, and millions of dollars. Since the firm takes roughly a third, they're very lucrative. He became the youngest partner ever at a prestigious firm, because of the money he made for them.

6. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

The lawyers make out like bandits and all others get screwed.

7. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

and to dissuade the defendant from exploiting people in the same manner again.

8. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

how? they pay zero attorneys fees to recover a modest amount from their zero dollar, zero time 'investment.'

If any class member wants to opt out of the suit and file independently, they're given that option.

9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

There is no statutorily set number, but case law suggests you shouldn't bother trying to certify a class without triple-digit plaintiffs.

As for your friend, it's rare that a young(er) attorney is approved to be counsel for a class action suit. The courts typically appoint attorneys with qualifications and experience that are beyond reproach, so that it's sure to be handled correctly. The result is that the attorneys who get those cases are rarely in need of the money - their firms certainly benefit, but it is thousands of hours of work.

The firm can't "take" anything - the court awards money to the firm based on the number of hours they "bill."

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Simple, the Lawyer or firm walks away with Millions in cash and the class members get a coupon for 10% off their next meal at stuckey's.

Can I get a tort reform? Hells yeah!

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:stupid:

12. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Dave, have you been interviewed for any shows like "extereme couponing" or anything like that? ;)

I figured the "bodycount" needed to be substantial.

Good luck with the case Walker.....go get em man! :rock:

13. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I never even got my damn coupon. It's held up on appeal. There is a website you can go to if you want updates. Will you front me a cheeseburger until my coupon comes through?

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Hey, I just got a check for 26 bucks for something or other and just returned another notice for something else that should get me $40 or so.
    I am set for life.