Honda rancher conundrum....

Discussion in 'General' started by tzrider, May 11, 2022.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

If that doesn't fix it it's a dirty injector. Send it to Pro Flow for a cleaning, the mail back and forth costs more than the service.

2. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Well fuck me with a splintered 2x4... It was the plug.

The more I pondered about it, the less the fuel pump made sense. Forgot I had it but installed an Ammeter on the pump wire and the engine conked out before the pump. Hmmmmm....

Fished out a similar plug (hotter) and it ran on & on & on... :beer:

I may change the heat of my plug for the simple reason is that I just putter around on my 3A lot, it just fouls up the plug (and that ATV runs rich).

Thanks all for the input and ideas!

ducnut likes this.
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I had a similar issue with my 2012 Grizzly 700, used as a utility tool around the property.
    One day, it decided to just die.
    My lack of idling issue was more pronounced - it wouldn't idle if I didn't prompt it to stay running with an occasional quick blip of throttle and it would not pull top end at all.
    Went through everything in the fuel system from the fill cap to the injector - nothing needed cleaning or replaced. Checked the valves, cleaned the air cleaner but gave little thought to the spark plug. None of these things had I ever previously inspected or maintained.
    Got around to the plug as it was now readily accessible and, damn, it took less than a nudge of the ratchet to loosen it - the threads were soaked in blow-by but none was visible externally. The ten year old plug was only slightly carbon-ed up, the electrode was relatively clean with no erosion or other indicators of failure. I coulda put it back in.
    New plug, torqued and it fired right up, stayed running and, sure as shit, it's running great.
    Who woulda thunk.
    Good thing is, I know my re-fueling techniques aren't introducing contaminants, valves stayed in spec, it got a thorough bath and I'm not gonna think about it for another ten years. :D

4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You definitely won’t be the last.

I don’t know what it is about Honda’s ATV products eating plugs, they just do. Always keep a spare in the unit’s tool box. It’ll happen again.

5. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Mine first fouled its O2 sensor!

Thankfully it was within the exhaust system's extended warranty limit (18 mth, IIRC).