Honda boots Lorenzo

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, May 21, 2019.

?

Is he toast

1. Yes he's out

34.0%
  2. Nope he will win more than 1 race this season

29.1%
  3. Nope.

36.9%
  1. G 97

G 97 Garth

I think you can learn a lot from a single test. You for sure know what you are dealing with and how far off or how close the bike is to your liking and abilities to allow you to go fast directly or indirectly with more development. Lots to be learned in one test. Fixing and improving are other issues.

2. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

While true, that’s not in context to my reply.

Speaking just of rookies coming into GP. One test will show you something for sure because you’re able to see the rider on the bike. I don’t believe you can make a call on if that rider will be successful on the bike from it. There’s way to many variables as you know.

Now Rossi and Zarco. I’m sure their faces were very similar after 5 laps. Lol

3. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Agreed. People on the beeb probably have a better understanding of what is involved than most. It is just that the small emotional investment that we have in the success or failure of a rider pales in comparison to the financial investment of the team and the personal reputation of the team manager that selected said rider. If someone on here makes incorrect fantasy picks over and over there are no repercussions but if a team manager does it they are most likely out of a job. And the team managers all know alot more about the riders strengths and weaknesses than we do so despite the fact that things do not work out for them all the time they are making a far more informed decision than we are. Is there anyone who would have said that Ducati was making a mistake signing Rossi? Very few people would have guessed the level of suck there...

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

The mistake wasn’t in signing Rossi. The mistake was with being unable/unwilling to build and or adapt a bike to his liking.

BigBird and TSAVO5150 like this.
  5. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

His failure was a blessing in disguise. It created the political conditions to force them to revamp their entire strategy. They’re now bearing the fruits of that.

JBraun likes this.
  6. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Fans aren’t without knowledge. I don’t think anyone believes they know better than the managers, but as spectators we’re free to postulate and we’re not under the constraints of the people in the business. I’m sure Suzuki and Lorenzo and fans alike would’ve preferred that marriage. But if the Suzuki CEO tells Brivio “Mir is 1/4 the price and we can lock him down for 10 years, take him” there’s not a lot he can do, even though he and we all know Lorenzo would’ve been shit hot there. I think the seemingly strange decisions fans question usually come as a result of politics or finances, rather than the pure results and racing perspective.

BigBird likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Fans tend to ignore something managers and factories cannot - the ability of the rider to sell shit. Lorenzo has fans, tons of them, and he sells product. That makes him worth a lot of money.

backcountryme likes this.
  8. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

I just can't believe there hasn't been a new 'Dear George' yet.

BROsiah likes this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Say what? You haven't been reading the BBS? Lorenzo has no fans anywhere.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm still catching up from the Ducati days :crackup:

scottn likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Once again I must apologize, I do not get all of my information on motorcycles and especially motorcycle racing from here :crackup:

crashman likes this.
  12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Haha, missed this during the carnage aftermath

[​IMG]

Senna, masshole and Mot Okstef like this.
  13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

That pic is frame worthy.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I only wish the photog got them both in the frame of the pic :D

15. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Why do you have to attack Dart like this?

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

wonder if Top Gun will sue for copyright infringement

Potts N Pans likes this.
  17. karrotx

karrotx Well-Known Member

I was at the Barcelona race. The entire crowd booed him when the camera caught him walking back to his trailer. I saw 2 fans wearing 99 gear out of the 10k+ between walking around and looking at the grandstands. I did not see a single booth selling 99. Rins is far more popular of a rider and selling merchandise at the Suzuki tents.

BigBird likes this.
  18. BigBird

BigBird blah

Yeah I don't think he has a big fan base, either. IIRC, a Spanish marketing firm a few years back said that he is not that marketable, and people actually have a unfavorable view on him. which is worse than not caring.

DP27 was actually at the top of that Rider list and then MM93 (that was before additional championships, probably 3 more in that time frame) in terms of Spanish Riders.

Where has any one really seen a Lorenzo section with rabid fans?

Scout likes this.
  19. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Rins is Catalan, Jorge is not. You really cannot underestimate the loathing of Nationalism that exists there (and if you read some hisotry, it's well-placed). Local FCBarca players that choose to play on the National team are viewed as traitors.

Fans are fickle too. Jorge starts winning and they come out of the woodwork. Just look at D'ern.

20. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Lorenzo is popular enough to have a curve named after him at Jerez. A very famous (or infamous, depending on how you look at it) one too.