1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda are you kidding me?

Discussion in 'General' started by Razorboy, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

So we have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline. Truck has been fabulous and we don't have any complaints until now.

The fanspeed controller for the heater / AC is messed up. It only works in certain positions. So it seemed like a pretty easy fix.

I called Honda and the part is discontinued?
    Are you friggin' kidding me? Not superseded but discontinued as in you will need to go to a wrecker to find a replacement.

Oh, I can do an emergency search for the part (whatever the hell that means) but I have to pay for it before they will even look for it.

Sorry but this has to be the most lame thing I have ever heard. A 5-year old truck that already has discontinued parts.

It will be my last Honda....................

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Make sure there isnt a resistor pack that is separate from the fan contol switch. This is a very common issue on GM trucks. I believe that it is rarely the switch(I have replace 2-3 on truck i owned).

3. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need the blower motor resistor pack.

4. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I'll throw in the resistor pack as well. Got one from NAPA for my civic, its probably the same damn part.

5. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

When you wiggle the controller around it kicks in so I am assuming there is a problem on the PCB.

Thanx for helping but the whole point is I can't even buy a replacement to fix the problem if thats what it is?

Does anyone know what their obligation is to provide replacement parts or is there even one?

6. novice201

novice201 "I'm a robot chicken!"

It would sound like the resistor if it only worked on the higher speeds...but we've seen a couple hondas where the inside of the knob itself breaks, and you can't turn it all the way. Like five bucks, usually, and mostly they pop right off.

7. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

The questionable GM resistor pack is just a fuse for the switch :D! That way GM switches won't go bad, pretty smart design really :)

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Well, they are actually resistors, not fuses or fusable links.....

9. Mxer485

Mxer485 Well-Known Member

Hey im a service advisor for a honda DA in IL. Pm me the part # your looking for and ill check are stock and see if I can find it for ya. Honda isnt going to be selling the Ridgelines anymore they never really took off with the public. But we havnt had any prob getting parts for the few that do come in for service. The only parts prob we have been having with Honda is keeping are parts inventory stocked since all the disasters happened in Japan.

10. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

I think the requirement to make available service parts is 10 years.

As far as the GM resisters go, they designed the resisters to fail before the switch if overheated so the resisters function like a fuse.

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Bernie,
    These guys specialize in used parts thoughout at least the west coast. Autobody shops, etc. use them. I got the instrument cluster for my GM truck for about $100 and I think a new one was about 4-500.

LKQ of Southern California
    800-525-3667
    http://www.lkqcorp.com/search-inventory.aspx

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

And if you do get stuck having to actually find a part out of a wrecked vehicle, I have had good luck with Pull-A-Part.

My son blew out the back side window in his 4runner and I went to them, yanked it myself (no jokes please) for $20. They even had a non-running Alfa that I needed parts from.

13. earacing

earacing Race Dad

Buy American...

:D

14. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

LOL, thanx Eric.

And thank you guys. I will check around and see what I am able to come up with.

Cheers
    Bernie

15. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

But you can go to a dealer and get parts for a 1965 Dream, go figure... :p

16. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

Cool, my wife has the PN with her. I will get it off her tonight and PM it to you!

Thanx!

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Wait...when did Honda build a truck? I remember them building a really ugly car with an open air grocery holder but not a truck.

18. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

The Ridgeline uses transistors instead of resistors to control fan speed. Another quirk I have discovered is that the A/C compressor won't engage when the transistors aren't functioning. I would make sure on the diagnosis on this one because the part is more expensive than a plain resistor pack.

I suspect the problem is that the part needed isn't available by itself anymore, but as part of a larger assembly.

I got a call from the west coast from somebody who told me that Acura told him that they didn't make EACVs (Electronic Air Control Valve for idle control) for his car anymore. It turned out that he had to buy the whole throttle body assembly to get the valve.

19. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

JohnnyB is right on the money. Honda's and almost all cars use transistors now that duty cycle the blower motors. The resistors were such an inefficient way to control voltage flow as they turn excess current into heat. That's why the low speed setting usually failed first.

The reason you have to do the throttle bodies now for idle air control is that everything is throttle by wire and there is no more idle air control valve. The ECM holds the actual throttle plate open instead.

If you feel so inclined, you may be able to open up the transistor assembly and find a weak solder joint if you know what you're looking for. From what you describe that's what it sounds like.

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Take the board off the assembly and bake it in a 325 degree overn for about 8 mintes. That should be long enough to reflow the solder and fix any cold joint on the board.

Has to be just the board though...no plactis bits attached to it.