1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

History of WERA?

Discussion in 'General' started by T748, Dec 15, 2002.

1. T748

T748 FMF SV Pilot

Mongo - do you (or anyone else out there) know about WERA, in terms of how long it's been around, how it got started, and what sort of growth it has gone through, especially lately?

I get the feeling that the number of people racing is increasing, even if there is a high turnover, which I've seen mentioned in other threads. Is that true? Do you have any numbers?

Just curious -

2. It all started many many moons ago, when Mongo was just a small Mongolito. He was only like 200 pounds or something. But then WERA began to grow inside of him, until he became the fully grown Mongo you see today, at roughly a metric ton.

Yes there is turnover. Steaks and donuts go in one end, and quickly leave the other. But the overall mass seems to have reached a peak. Continued growth at this point may be financially risky, as further Mongolian expansion would require larger vehicles with more power, etc for transportation, so WERA has temporarily stabilized.

:D :D :D :D

3. SpEd

SpEd poor impulse control

He better know seeing as how he is married to the woman that has been running the show since...well....since before I was born. Damnit now she is going to hit me again.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. RobeyRacer

RobeyRacer Well-Known Member

HARD :rolleyes: :D

Hey Ed....Had any good fire drills lately? ;)

5. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

WERA's 25th anniversary was recent... so this is 26 or 7 season coming? (Age affects memory, so in my mind recent could be ten years ago.)

It is a major accomplishment for any business to last 25 years, and an exceptional feat in an area as fickle as racing

6. SpongeBob WeaselPants

thanks Max, just what I needed, a closeup mental image of Mongo's morning bowel movement :Puke:

7. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

WERA's headquarters used to be in Bluffton, SC until the move to the thriving metropolis of Canton, GA more recently. You ought to see that Canton Zoo. Wow! Nice duck! :D

8. SpongeBob WeaselPants

I seem to remember they were in Hilton Head for a while... damned hurricanes. Well at least now Sharon easily can get to a WalMart :D

9. projekt9

projekt9 der Klugscheißer

Some WERA info

From what I can remember about the beginnings, and some facts
    from older MARRC guys, and Good 'Ol Harry...

WERA I believe started in 1973 and it was called ERA.
    Because it was just east coast...Then the org expanded
    big time. 1974 it became WERA. Peter Frank, and his wife Patty
    were the originators, I believe. Then some years later, can't remember exactly WERA became based in South Carolina, and then shortly thereafter WERA was sold to Patty Frank, Sean, and Evelyne. 1994, 1995? Sean and Evelyne bought out Patty.
    Then I believe that year HQ moved from SC to GA.

Don't take all this as 100% correct, I am a bit fuzzy on alot
    of the details. I am sure Sean can provide the corrections
    to dates and mis-nomers, ect...

10. twostroke73

twostroke73 Active Member

Lets get back to when it was ERA. Now those are the early years.

11. SpEd

SpEd poor impulse control

holy crap that sucked. If I ever find them I will....well let's just say it will be bad.

12. Re: Some WERA info

This sounds way too factual.

13. Re: Re: Some WERA info

They would never put facts like this on a real news program, like "The Daily Show" with Jon Stewart...

14. Actually, when they heard Traxxion Dynamics was located in Woodstock, GA, they immediately closed down the offices in SC and moved over to be near The Center of the Suspension Universe".

:cool:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. T748

T748 FMF SV Pilot

Re: Some WERA info

And the W would stand for.....? (West East Racing Association? Wide East Racing Assoc? Waaay East RA? ummm...Wussy..no...Wild...World...Wide Open...Warty...hmmmm...I'm stumped).

16. WERA552

WERA552 Master Brake Oil Spiller!

Re: Re: Some WERA info

Western-Eastern

Ted Temple
    WERA #552

17. T748

T748 FMF SV Pilot

Re: Re: Re: Some WERA info

So why not National? Duh. (NRA - hmmm -isn't that used somewhere else?:rolleyes: )

Anyone know how many wera members there are?

18. Czar

Czar Well-Known Member

WERA was founded by Peter and Patty Frank in 1974 in Pennsylvania. They moved to SC for Peter's business (he's a DO and opened a practice in Bluffton) In 1985 Patty sold her interest to one Bill Parsons and his significant other, Bonnie Beucher. In 1988 Patty called me and her, Buzz Pritz and I bought out Bill and Bonnie. I moved to Hilton Head, SC from Chicago (where I had been working in the field for WERA as a Chief Registrar since 1976) to run WERA headquarters. In the mid-90s Buzz and I bought out Patty's interest and it is now just Buzz and I who own the business (Buzz stays in Chicago and runs his own business and is basically a "silent partner").

Sean has been involved with WERA some 12-13 years - with me 11 years this November!!!! WERA also has Sharon Dray and Emily Chandler in the office - the four of us organize and keep it going!

We have 2889 current/active members. The numbers climb slowly with membership due to the 1.2 year turn-over for most riders.

Basically we have been here a long time, hope to be here a long time and hope that we can continue to provide the person who has a dream to race a motorcycle the place to do just with the least amount of hassle and the biggest bang for their buck!

WERA would not exist if it were not for all the Officials, Corner Workers who help each year and of course without the ridership - who put on the show each and every race! WERA has a few sponsors (we are working on more) and those help as well and we thank them too!

19. PPR

PPR Well-Known Member

Here ya Go!

What is WERA?
    WERA Motorcycle Roadracing, Inc, is one of the oldest and largest national sanctioning bodies conducting motorcycle roadraces at roadcourses across the United States. 1999 marked the 25th Anniversary for WERA Motorcycle Roadracing. There are over 3,000 roadracers holding a competition license and 250 holding a support membership. WERA offers rider's schools and entry level racing for anyone with a motorcycle and offers three types of racing:

WERA National Endurance Series
    WERA's premier series is the longest running endurance series in the World! The races range from 4 to 24 hours. Endurance Racing is a team sport with pit stop action, rider changes and the best track time for riders so they can become smooth consistent competitors. WERA Endurance riders include the likes of Scott Russell, John Kocinski, Jamie James, Thomas Stevens, Mike Smith and many others. Team Suzuki Endurance was a dominant force in the series for over 10 years and many teams have risen to challenge their dominance, teams like Semoff Brothers Racing, Arclight Racing, The Army of Darkness, Paramount Racing and Team Chicago. There are four classes that run in the overall Endurance Series so teams can participate on Heavyweight Superbikes or Superstock equipment if they have equipment over 750cc or they can participate on Mediumweight Superbikes or Superstock equipment if they have equipment under 750cc.

WERA National Challenge Series
    The series where a rider can see if he is serious about motorcycle roadracing. The competition here is a little stiffer and the series requires dedication in order to win a championship. Travel and competitive equipment is required in this series which ranges from 8 to 10 rounds and runs on weekends which host the National Endurance Series. The classes offered range from superstock equipment to GP Machines. There are two purse paying classes for the Expert racers and a large variety of contingency is available in many of the other National Classes. Novices have their own Superstock and Superbike Classes at the Nationals as well as being able to run in the GP and Twins Classes.

WERA Sportsman Series
    This is where it all begins for anyone who is interested in motorcycle roadracing. The Series is geographically set to hold 10 to 12 races per geographical region giving a rider the ability to compete in the series without traveling across the country. There are classes to accommodate each brand and type of motorcycle, the weekends can include a rider's school on Saturday, with WERA Vintage Racing on some weekends and the Sportsman Series weekends always have Solo 20 racing on Saturday. Solo 20 races are 20 laps and have a 50% payback purse for each of the classes offered - Heavyweight, Mediumweight and Lightweight. Each rider accumulates points in their class in their Region and can qualify for the WERA Grand National Final which is held at the end of each season and pits the best against the best for the National Championships in WERA's classes. WERA GNF invitations are a coveted prize and the event is one of the biggest motorcycle roadracing events in the U.S. each fall!

WERA's National Vintage Series
    In 1997 WERA entered into an agreement with Rick and Lynne Breckon to form WERA National Vintage, Inc. This agreement gave the WERA National Vintage Series the attention it deserved. WERA National Vintage has Vintage Directors on both a National and Regional Level, they submit the rules for Vintage racing to be included in the WERA Rulebook and they keep their points, award trophies, secure Vintage sponsorship and handle the year-end awards banquet for the WERA National Vintage Series. This series was and is very important to WERA and with this Agreement the Series is growing every season and is providing a place for Vintage Racing within the WERA Series.

WERA's History
    WERA began as ERA founded by Dr. Peter Frank and his wife Patty O'Brien Frank in early 1973 on the East Coast of the U.S. In 1974 ERA became WERA and expanded and became one of the first sanctioning bodies to host events all across the United States, Canada and Mexico. WERA has an affiliate, RPM, which hosts events in Texas and Oklahoma. In 1980 WERA moved to South Carolina. Dr. Frank and his wife sold the business in 1983 and in September of 1984, Patty O'Brien Frank, C.E. Pritz, Jr. And Evelyne Clarke (f/k/a Pritz) purchased WERA back. Evelyne Clarke has been CEO of WERA since September of 1984. In July of 1994, C.E. Pritz and Evelyne Clarke bought Patty O'Brien Frank's interest and the two continue to own the corporation. In 1995 the business moved from South Carolina to Georgia and officially changed their name from Western Eastern Roadracers Association to WERA Motorcycle Roadracing, Inc. With a staff of 4 at the Headquarters and a multitude of local regional officials and volunteers, WERA Motorcycle Roadracing tries to give their riders the same hassle free experience from event to event across the U.S. and to provide them with the stepping stone they need if they aspire to seek a career in motorcycle roadracing, or give them the opportunity to realize their dream of racing a motorcycle.

In 2001 WERA has entered into an Agreement with AMA Pro Racing which will see some of the Pro Classes run with the WERA National Challenge Series in 2001 at selected events and AMA Pro Racing will officially recognize the WERA 600cc and 750cc Superstock Classes at the National Challenge Series as the natural stepping stones to reach the AMA Pro Racing ranks. This alliance will benefit both long-standing organizations and establishes the commitment both organizations have to further the sport of motorcycle roadracing in the U.S.

20. weggie man

weggie man Well-Known Member

I started hanging out at WERA events in '80, started racing in '82 but only rode for about 3 years. Rode two years CCS and WERA then became CCS Midwest race director and followed them ever since. Did a couple WERA endurance events in '97 with my son when he rode for Vesrah/Mark Junge.

2003 will bring me back to WERA on a fairly regular basis but as a rider sponsor rather than a rider. I'm looking forward to it. Good group of people down there in GA. See y'all at the races!

Bad thing is my place to stay in GA for Road Atlanta moved back here to WI. What the hell were they thinking?