1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hilton Head, SC

Discussion in 'General' started by tito, Jul 20, 2011.

1. tito

tito Well-Known Member

Going there with my wife and kids(ages 2 &8) and the inlaws, I was really lucky and got a great set of inlaws. Not only are they fun to hang out with they are picking up most of the tab for this trip.
    So what is there to do? any thing that is a must see or a stay away from?
    Also looking for any good restaurants, especially an oyster bar, seafood place, and BBQ.

2. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

85% of the people are going to be your in-law's age.

My office has a condo there that I have free access to. Never bothered. Nice quiet place to hit the beach, but it's kind of a dead scene for any kind of party.

3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Ahhh, please re-read the above highlighted sections.

It doesnt get any better. :clap:

4. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

We just went there this summer with a group of friends. I'll have to double-check, but I'm pretty sure the places we ate out were Alexander's (casual seafood) and Truffles Grill (a little nicer). Both were excellent. I think Harbortown was supposed to be good as well.

5. teamneon

teamneon Well-Known Member

Nice family place. We did that with my future inlaws last year....
    Old Oyster Factory was good.
    Our 3 story rented house had some A/C problems and the rental place told us to go eat and they would pick up the tab....$900 later they kept their word.

6. YZFBeliever

YZFBeliever Well-Known Member

Been going there for years in fact I leave this Saturday for our annual trip.

Very casual but just a fun place with good wings is the Wild Wing cafe

I would definitely hit up Hudson's, and the Old Oyster Factory. Redfish was great.

http://www.oldoysterfactory.com/

http://www.wildwingcafe.com/

http://www.hudsonsonthedocks.com/

http://www.redfishofhiltonhead.com/

If you go to Harbor Town I would suggest you skip the Salty Dog, it used to be great, the food is still pretty good (not great) and the service has really fallen off. Same with The wreck of the Salty Dog.

7. Turbo storm

Turbo storm Well-Known Member

The old oyster factory has killer food, but bring lots of $$$ with you. If the in-laws are paying, I'd recommend going there.
    Another good place is just as you are entering the island. I can't remember the name, but it shares the same parking lot as the visitors center. Great seafood, and the decor is pretty cool nautical stuff. A big salt water fish tank with an eel and other cool fish to watch. (kids will love it) Cool gift shop too. (kids will love it) Cheaper than Old Oyster Factory.

Have fun and bring lots of sun block. 30 minutes is enough to start a burn here in S.Carolina.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Big +1

9. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

I just booked our reservation for the 2nd week of September. I have never been. I booked a condo at the Seacrest villas in North Forest Beach. How is this area? Anyone stayed here?

10. karrotx

karrotx Well-Known Member

Rent a boat from South Beach, fun times :).

11. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

+2

Scallops with lobster mac and cheese.

12. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Don't eat oysters in months without a R in them.

13. tito

tito Well-Known Member

well we are going in august so I can eat all the oysters I want!!!!
    Thanks for all the help,
    any good bbq places???? the carolinas are supposed to be known for their bbq right? even if it is mustard based.....

14. Turbo storm

Turbo storm Well-Known Member

Technically oysters are not in season right now. Only months that have the letter "R" are the "in season" oysters. September is the first "R" month, but even then, it may be tough to find them for sale. Most oysters sold during the non-R months are imported from other countries. (I still eat them though)
    Shuck away!

Don't know any good BBQ joints around Hilton Head/Savannah area, but I know where they are around Charleston.

Be sure and try some "She Crab Soup". If you like lobster bisque, you will like this.
    Also "Low counrty boil" aka "frogmore stew" aka "Beaufort Stew" is killer. Sausage, potatoes, shrimp, and small nibblets of corn boiled together in Old Bay seasonings. A little spicey so kids may not like it, but good eatin'!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah the oyster rule is basically don't eat them when it's hot as hell out - like now.

Been too long since we lived there but if Shillings Boat House is still open then I'd suggest there, off the beaten path and good food on the water. Few to no tourists too. Hudsons and Wild Wings was always good too. There was a small local joint about 1/4 down the island middle of nowhere that served great southern food - Henrys maybe? Lunch counter kind of place.