1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey road bicycle people... I gots a question

Discussion in 'General' started by Dits, Mar 9, 2013.

1. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

:clap:

the roads down here generally suck. although Dits could likely find some smooth stuff...i'd bet it's sparse.

i think a steel bike with relaxed geometry and a carbon fork (similar-ish to the breezer) would be a great start for him, and could end up being his main bike long-term.

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Not to be captin obvious, but have you tried moving the seat forward and getting a shorter stem ?

3. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Little adjustments are ok, but you'll change the dynamics of the bike - steering will get twitchy and knees will end up too far forward.

4. Triple Nickel

Triple Nickel Well-Known Member

I bought a Trek 2.3 as my first bike. I'm 6'1 and a 58cm got me proper setup.

I have carbon forks and seat post and I like the ride but it's my first bike so I don't have anything else to compare it to.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

You would not believe the shit that people want me to do, or have already done coming into my shop.
    Before I really knew what I was doing, I was fitted from the shop I bought my bike from. Since then, I've moved the stem up 10mm and the seat back 2mm.
    As you said little adjustment can make a huge difference.

6. v42168

v42168 Well-Known Member

You all act like Ultegra's some kinda high zoot shit. It's a midrange groupset at a very resonable price.

7. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Its a solid value, just like XT on the MTB side. Cant tell you how many guys I rode by in my recent seven days in Sedona who had fancy XTR stuff or Sram XX carbon who were walking up or down techy stuff. The only uber fancy stuff on my bikes is Magura MT-8 brakes and Chris King rear hubs.

Once you get to a certain level of quality its way more magician than wand.:up:

8. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Shorter stem for steering? No.I did flip it from flat, to angled up though Seat fore and aft... along with accompanying height changes, and pitch changes yes.

This is how it was when I got it and knew anything :crackup:
    [​IMG]

this was later, after trying some stuff
    [​IMG]

as it sits now the stem is back angled up, but seat is similar.
    Hard to see here
    [​IMG]
    When I first got the bike I had the seat WAY too low. It seemed like I had it right with feet level. But I tend to pedal slightly toes down, and that effectively made the seat too low. I had all sorts of ITB issues after doing 45mi one day, then 60mi the next. Thought I was jsut sore.. then tried 100mi the next weekend. Ever since then I cant go more than about 35 without it acting up no matter what I change with the seat, bar height, cleat position, float, etc. :down:

9. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

What tires and pressures you running in that tubeless setup? I finally put Bontrager R3 Tubeless on my American Classics. Ride is a bit better, but I still am running 125 psi in them.

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

what kinda shoes? have you tried different seats??

11. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Started with bontrager shoes (cheaper model), and Look Delta cleats. Then now I have speedplay zeros on them

bike had a damn MTB seat on it at first (had no clue) and now has a bontrager that was sized for me.

Still always feels too long in the top, and using the "rules of thumb" never seems to work in bar adjustment either.

I likely just need to bite the bullet and pay to be fitted, but that is racing money :D

12. v42168

v42168 Well-Known Member

I've got some DT Swiss tubeless that I run around 90 rear/95 front, I ride carbon tubulars mostly but everytime I put these on my bike I can't believe how good they ride. The whole benefit of tubeless is lower pressure.

13. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

Ya. I just haven't played with it yet. I only have a couple rides on it with the new setup. I love them on the mtn bike. I run 25 psi on it a ton.

14. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Followed the rules and bought local.

Cannondale caad8.

15. OptimizedGSXR

OptimizedGSXR Well-Known Member

500+ for that? Yikes. 300ish is a good deal for both parties.

16. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

100 rear 95 front

17. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Nice.

18. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Last years model left over.

850.00. Did I do good? I really like it.

19. v42168

v42168 Well-Known Member

What components? I've had 6 C'dale road bikes,i'm a fan.

20. scott65

scott65 Well-Known Member

I'll help you get fitted. We can do it at the track some weekend.