1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

heres what I did

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Devilredr6, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Devilredr6

Devilredr6 Well-Known Member

Bill did you get the EBC "HH" pads or the "HH kit pads" I didn't even know the kit pads existed but I guess there is a difference.

I got some of the kit pads and broke them in with about 20 light to medium stops. I let them cool for 6 weeks (lots of snow) then took the bike out on a back road and did some 120mph+ hard stops and endo's. They seem to work great and I didn't do anything tricky.

I think what eddy did would work fine. A few little pit stops, then a few light laps, and cool.

So detroit got hammered? We have .00001 of snow on the ground. It was in the 50's last week a few of us had our street bikes out bombing around.

2. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

you are ready to ride! the pads are easy to tell if they are kit pads the number of the pad stays the same it is the letters to look at. like a 252 fa or a 252 gfa "gfa" is the kit pad stuff

3. Team Serpent

Team Serpent Jason Temme #86 WERA Lifetime Member

FYI - Only run HH Kit pads on stock rotors, if you have EBC rotors run the HH only (the kit pads will tear up EBC rotors).

4. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

And yes, let me back that up further. Make sure you use the kit pads on the EBC rotors. I was stuck in a pinch where all I had were regular HH pads and 1) they didn't last long, and 2) I don't think they liked the rotor much.

I just recently had to send back 2 sets of pads from Marietta Motorsports because they accidentally sent me the one's that weren't the kit pads. Like HFD1 said, make sure they have the "G" in front of them on the package.

- eddie

5. Team Serpent

Eddie,
    Did you read my post? Do NOT use Kit pads on EBC rotors! Only use Kit pads on STOCK rotors.

6. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Wait a minute. Are you sure about that? What's the reasoning behind that? With my Hawk, I always had kits pads on the EBC disc. That's what I've always heard you should do. It never seemed to eat away at the disc.

Explain. :)

- eddie

7. Team Serpent

I'm just relaying what I was told by Gary Gallagher of EBC Brakes.
    The EBC rotors are made of Billet Stainless Steel a softer material than stock rotors. He said that the Kit pads were made for greater stopping power when used on stock rotors and would tear up the EBC rotors and that the pad material transfer would be less than optimum . I just reconfirmed this at the Dealer Show a couple of weeks back. But hey if it's working for ya don't let me sway you away from doing what you've been doing. ;)

8. Team Serpent

By the way, you probably wouldn't notice it as quickly on a light weight bike.

9. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

Hey Jason, how ya doin, maybe we'll see ya on the WERA circuit this year.
    Ya know I had the same discussion with Garry Gallagher a couple of years ago with the opposite result, the kit pads are for the EBC rotors. I believe the stock rotors are stainless/harder and you therefore would want just the HH pads. Whereas the EBC rotors are not stainless/softer (Ed's EBC rotors are rusting) and you would use the kit pads. Maybe things have changed since my conversation with Garry. I emailed their tech department on this issue, so maybe they will reply.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2003
  10. Team Serpent

What up Joe :D
    Yeah, let me know what you hear back. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys this season. Any plans to run the 8 hour at Grattan? I've talked with a few teams about riding with them for that event but haven't really nailed anything down.

11. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Holy crap

I've got kit pads and assumed that the EBC rotors would be an 'upgrade'. dammit.:mad:

12. Team Serpent

Re: Holy crap

You're cool, the EBC rotors are an upgrade. I've tried many brake pad and rotor combonations and IMHO the EBC HH along with the EBC rotors provide the best stopping power, and feel.

EBC HH and EBC rotors worked better than EBC HH Kit pads and stock rotors, for me anyways.

Let's wait and see what the tech department says (although I think that email address goes to Gary). You may just want to get a different pad for the type of rotor you're running.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2003
  13. Team Serpent

Joe or Eddie,
    Was wondering if you ever got a reply on this question?

14. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Haven't heard anything yet. I did however just send EBC an email asking them for some clarification. I didn't see a phone number on their site for contacting them, so email seems to be the only way. I'll post something if/when I get a response.

- eddie

15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Hey Jason,

We stand corrected. Here's a response I just received from Garry Gallagher:

You have been mis informed !!!
    The correct answer IS...
    You should ONLY run the US Made, EBC Standard HH pads on EBC Pro-lite Roadrace ( or Street ) disc's !

The EBC GFA Kit HH pads are only for stock, OEM, stainless disc's, and NOT to be used on EBC disc's.

Feel free to post my e-mail at [email protected] and my phone number at (425) 485-7610.

I hope I cleared up any confusion on which EBC HH compound to be used on which rotor's.
    Wbr
    Garry Gallagher
    EBC Brakes US tech & Racing

I guess that clears things up. I'll be switching my GFA's back to FA's on my SV for this season. I did run kit pads on my Hawk with an EBC disc and braking seemed to work fine for me. The only thing I could complain about was that my brake pad life wasn't as long as I thought it would be. Maybe this is why. We'll see this year.

- eddie

16. Team Serpent

Thanks for the update Eddie.

See you at Barber! Woo Hoo! Can't wait!
    (can you tell I'm starting to get pumped? :D )

17. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I can't wait either. I'm trying to get the old man to go as well. He's 50/50 at this point. :)

- eddie