1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with electrical wiring

Discussion in 'General' started by tito, Jun 14, 2011.

1. tito

tito Well-Known Member

I am building a a router table and I want to wire an external switch to it as the on/off switch for the router will be facing the back when it is in the table and will be hard to get to. I saw in a wood working magazine once the perfect setup, but I can not find it now. Here is what I want to do....
    there are three components to this:
    one dual outlet
    one single outlet
    one on/off switch.
    I want the router and a shopvac to plug into the dual outlet. this outlet will only have power when the switch is turned on. The single outlet is to connect an extension cord from the wall to the unit itself so that when I turn on the switch it will supply power to both the shopvac and the router.
    how do I wire this up?
    I have diagram I want to attach but for some reason I can't upload it here at work.....it is telling me this is not a valid image file....it is a pic I created in paint

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. tito

tito Well-Known Member

ok how do you attach a ms paint file? jpeg, bmp, or whatever.....whichever format I save it as it tells me it is net a valid image file.

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

You're kidding...right? Run a cord to a mounted power strip on the underside of the table front. Comes with it's own on-off switch.

4. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

:stupid:

Works like a charm in my garage

5. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Google "shop power safety switch". About $30 for a real safety switch. The kind you can hit with your knee to stop. The one time you need it you'll be happy you coughed up the dough.

6. tito

tito Well-Known Member

I have all the parts I listed...I am trying to do this on the cheap, as I have already run way over budget for this project.
    as for the mounting a power strip....I could do that but I am concerened with where I could place it so that it is out of the way and also so that I could easily hit the off switch.....most power strips I have seen have a really small toggle switch.

7. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Wire up the duplex receptacle like you normally would, but supply the hot to the receptacle from one of your switch legs. You'll have to use a male plug instead of a female plug to supply power to the switch. If you use a female plug to supply power to your switch you will have two hot ends on your extension cord. (Good way to get someone shocked) Just make sure you keep your neutral's tied together in your switch box and run them on through to your duplex receptacle.

8. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

If you don't know how to do something as simple as posting a pic you probably shouldn't be messing with electricity. :D just sayin'