1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help w/Starter Track bike

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by d652, Mar 8, 2011.

1. d652

d652 Active Member

hey guys im new to this board. Not a racer be any means just did a couple of track days last year and want to get off the streets now. I have an 06 GSXR and want to start tracking it out. WHere should I start? I just want a basic setup nothing to crazy or expensive to start with..Thanks

p.s. I already have amour bodies plastics.

2. meanseeds

meanseeds Well-Known Member

plastics and go ride!

3. d652

d652 Active Member

Fair enough..

4. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Sell the stock fairings to pay for track day's and enjoy.
    You'll know what ya wanna do further down the road. Have your suspension sag setup, keep your fluids fresh, chain,sprockets and tires in excellent order and your havin fun.

5. madriders86

madriders86 Well-Known Member

What he said, or you can pick up a track dedicated bike.

If you're just getting into trackdays, the bike really needs nothing. It probably isn't the weak link here ;)

As you ride more and talk to people at the track, you'll learn what sort of stuff you'll want to do to the bike.

6. madriders86

madriders86 Well-Known Member

What he said, or you can pick up a track dedicated bike.

If you're just getting into trackdays, the bike really needs nothing. It probably isn't the weak link here ;)

As you ride more and talk to people at the track, you'll learn what sort of stuff you'll want to do to the bike.

7. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Spend your money on tires and entry fees until you can outride the suspension.

8. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Important:
    Suspension (correct springs for weight, have a tuner at the track set for you)
    Steel-braided brake lines
    Good tires. You don't need DOT race, but any solid street / track tire. Search the board for a ton of options.

Optional, but eventually:
    Rearsets
    Clip-ons
    Case savers
    Exhaust
    Fuel tuner
    Rearsets
    Lap timer
    New gearing (change teeth in sprockets)

Have fun!

9. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

Keep it stock until you out-ride the suspenion. Then upgrade that. Better tires and just gas and go.

10. bldg636

bldg636 Well-Known Member

+1 . . Agreed . . . with the costs of trackdays and tires, I would focus all my funds on getting to the track to do what you enjoy doing . . . . that being said, if I were to make an initial investment in a couple things (funds permitting) they would be these, in order:

-Frame and swingarm sliders
    -Case covers
    -lap timer

Also, for money best spent, I'd invest in a set of tirewarmers if you haven't already . . . you can live without 'em, but once you've had 'em you'll never go back . . just my .02

11. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Lap timer is a plus. It lets you know how your progressing and if what your changing from lap to lap is working.

12. madboosties

madboosties Well-Known Member

You got a really warm welcome! Everyone must be in a good mood

13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Track time, track time, track time. That will make you faster than any goodies. Since you will be starting in novice all you really need is tires with 75% tread and some painters tape then go to a trackday.