1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have bike dealers all gone high cost high pressure like cars?

Discussion in 'General' started by sheepofblue, Jan 23, 2021.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I did look at that. Kind of prefer 2019 plus but it was interesting. Also considered a baby ZX but to be honest at this point I think I am over it. Still have the '04CBR for street and my '11GSXR750 for track. At the first advertised price I was in on a project, however I have pretty much decided the Biden economy (and military policies) have a high probability of me wanting more cash on hand.

2. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Back in 06-07ish if you walked from the front door to the back door in the dealership I worked at and didn't literally talk to 7 people you did really good. Some places have always been high pressure.

3. quikie

quikie Fugitive at Large

Don't want to get too much into politics but I'm actually worried that inflation / prices are going to swing up rapidly.

jd41, ducnut and sheepofblue like this.
  4. CarrMoto

CarrMoto Well-Known Member

I thought we knew each other. lol

ducnut likes this.
  5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Been thinking that for years

6. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Haha. I was more talking about the people who buy airplanes from us, but you're rich in heart!

7. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

that's one of my favorite angles to work and it never fails. i know my credit score and its always above 800. i am part of a credit union, but shit even if i wasn't, i'd find the best one (which is usually Navy Federal) and say i was anyways, how would they know. when i start talking about money and rates, i say... i know my credit score is tier 1, and here's my credit union's website with their rate (show them the screen and credit union rates are always the best out there), and say, so you can either get SOME interest and match their rate, or you can get no interest and i'll go get you a check real calm and casually. they always choose getting some over none, and either match or beat the rate. hasn't failed 4 times in a row. i just want the rate, i don't care who gets it for me, and i'm happy to give them the extra if it helps them give me the price i want.

cars have different pressures though that maybe bikes don't have if these dudes are content to sit on 2 year old models and not budge... that's kinda strange, but shit, with used cars... if you can find out how long something's been on their lot, even better. last car, i straight up gave the dude all his cards like... "i know you've had this car sitting on trade-in for 80 days (helps that it wasn't the brand of the dealership either). i know that at 90 days you start thinking about taking it to auction, where you'll probably lose money, OR, you'll be thinking about how you're losing money by having it sit here with insurance and the like taking up lot space. i know you don't want to have to take this to an auction and time is drawing near... so here's my offer." dude had nothing left to say, but he didn't need to. he didn't waste my time, i didn't waste his. i said here's my offer, email me if you accept and i'll come get it tomorrow. he did, i did. totally painless. slipped him a hundo for being so rad.

i imagine if you want the new dope hot shit model of something, that becomes way more difficult to accomplish, but whatever. i'll never buy a new car in my life, and given this thread, i dunno why you guys aren't just going out to buy used bikes. fuck these people.

Phl218 likes this.
  8. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

@Sweatypants because, ALL USED BIKES HAVE A STORY. it has been over but, I didnt do it. lien on title from the bank of venus, wanting the money up front, then they or the lienholder will mail you the title when the loan clears. no title, no mso at all. tell you they didnt get the mso when they bought the bike new, then argue with you, when you tell them: you either pay the tax and get a title from the dealer, or they give you the mso, and you pay the tax when you go to your DMV to title, register it. I dont have an hour meter but, it is less than 15 hours. all husky and ktms since 2016 came with hour meters from the factory. WTF? rebuilt by factory tech NO RECIEPTS AT ALL... or you contact them, and they fail to respond at all. yeah, NO!!! :D

and most think they have the most pristine piles of shit, asking close to new pricing on them. and their only pics show them either fully dirty, or wet under them, knowing the pic was taken right after being washed. best quote from most ad's right now... dont waste my time, I know what I have. LMAO! Ski

9. Sweatypants

sure, i get all that. but MOST of those are fairly easy to remedy, OR... you just pay accordingly. my speed triple had a lein. agreed on a price, called the dude's bank right in front of me to verify the amount and account, i sent them the check myself... took the bike and tag and key with me and waited for him to send the new title, gave him the difference when it came in. i guess that takes some faith, but i didn't have to give him any money and hope that he did or didn't do something, and i had his bike.

my first R6, i had to track down the dude before the dude i bought it from to get him to sign the title cause his name was already filled in and my buddy never re-titled it. still got it done without too much fuss and i'm sure my buddy could have just signed it for him if he really had no option.

i guess unless your heart is just truly set on some rare, specific color thing... i don't mind just playing the percentages and throwing out a ton of lines before hooking a fish. walk away from 10 deals, make 30 offers... somebody will eventually take it. bikes are always the first things to go on hard times or new wives or new babies or moving. but then to date, i've never been on a hunt for a singular specific thing that's a hot ticket yet.

yo speaking of... if i have an MSO? MCO? from the factory for my Aprilia RS250 chassis. its something in German (frame came from Germany) that shows the manufacturer date and info and VIN number. how do I turn that into a title? i've never had to do that before. am I going to wanna kill myself?

10. skidooboy

@Sweatypants take the bill of sale, and the mso to the dmv, pay the tax on the purchase price, and the title/license fee... easy peasy.

the lien on the bike I was talking about, was held by synchrony bank (ktm financier). I could go your route, if the guy owed less than what i was paying. But, I know sheffield, and synchrony and their slow to clear lien history. If it were held by a local bank, or even a national bank, I would just meet the owner at a branch, pay, and be done with it. I cant in this situation. I told the guy to pay the lien off with a cc, get the release of lien. once he has that, I would pay our agreed amount, and he could pay off his card. all done before he would have to pay interest on the purchase. He didnt like that idea. ;) Ski

11. Sweatypants

even all in German? it was an ebay frame. I guess i have my ebay receipt for it. will look into it thanks.

and on that... i gotcha. that sucks, sometimes its not meant to be. i've never HAD TO HAVE a street bike yet of any particular make/model/individual... so i've always just jumped on deals with multiple acceptable options in mind of what i'd take. maybe one day i'll have my heart set on something and then it'll be a bigger problem.

12. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

As it were, Ron passed suddenly last weekend. The last of the old school shops of which I’m familiar, is probably gone.

13. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

Did you find one?

https://ibuypowersports.com/?product=2019-yamaha-r3-only-1600-miles

14. skidooboy

I heard that as well. I spoke with Rudy (his son, maybe?) yesterday. Hopefully, they will keep it going, in a similar manner. He said, Ron had everything planned, and laid out for ease of use. sad situation, a really good guy. RIP Ron. Ski

15. Resident Plarp

@skidooboy, that’s a strange post to “like.”

16. skidooboy

we dont have the sad face, or agreeing likes. I agree, it is sad, and he is one of the last old school, one man shop dealers, in our region. He had the best rep, best customer service, and the best pricing for ktm. sorry, my bad. Ski

17. Resident Plarp

No worries, I should have put smilies under there! And don’t worry, at the last funeral went to, I said “see you next time” to relatives, by marriage - that I hadn’t seen since the previous funeral ... three times.

:D :D :D

18. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

It would be nice if we had a bit more variety in terms of reactions to posts.

skidooboy likes this.