1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone done the YCRS?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Looking for anyone that can give some info. Seen quite a few pics on the web as well as a few folks saying they went and really enjoyed it.

Thanks!

TurboBlew likes this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Did you search, by chance? Relatively common topic, here.

rcarson15 likes this.
  3. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Took it about 2012. $cott Ru$$ell was the guest celebrity instructor. Had a GREAT time and learned quite a bit about riding.

I'd kinda like to go again, but funding a MiniGP racer and having fun with him is my first priority right now.

4. mdhokie

mdhokie Well-Known Member

I took the 2 day course four years ago, after riding on the street for a dozen years. It was definitely a lot of good information, and got me on the track for the first time (now hooked).

BigBird, bacolmm and Chip like this.
  5. Chip

Chip Registered

Hey Ben! We have one coming up at the end of this month at Palm Beach International Raceway with Roger Hayden as a guest instructor. It would be an amazing time to take a moto-vacation. Shoot me an email at [email protected] and I can get you hooked up.

We added some very cool tracks this year with some awesome guest instructors. The curriculum is applicable to anybody who rides a street-based motorcycle. At the last school we had a 63year old woman on a Triumph Tiger who had less than a years riding experience and we also had a MotoAmerica 1000 SSTK guy. Both left super happy.

SpeedyE, bacolmm, stk0308 and 2 others like this.
  6. Chip

Chip Registered

Hi Darrin - It's not done, but we are working on adding a ChampMini program at some point in 2020. We would be happy to help your kids as well. How old is he?

I'm pretty sure you will see the screaming chief at few events as well. Thanks!

7. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

I attended a two-day Champ School at NJMP 3 years ago. I brought my own bike, enjoyed the experience, and learned a lot. If you can afford it I would recommend it. In hindsight the one thing I regret is that I had never been to NJMP before this school, if I could do it over again I would do it at a track I am familiar with so I could focus more on the education aspect of it and not trying to learn the track. The same goes for the bike, bring your own if you can and don't rent one of theirs so you will have to learn that as well. There is a wealth of knowledge there and I feel I could have extracted more of that if I spent more of my time trying to. Another thing I wish they would incorporate is real time, on track communication. They video you both days and critique everyone together at the same time - they try and show a difference between the two days. After the fact critique is not as valuable as real time critique, I feel I could have learned much more if the instructor(s) could have communicated with me on track.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

was considering doing the ridge this year with a friend

9. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

One thing I forgot to mention is that I have emailed one of the instructors a few times since I took their school with questions that come up when I feel like I have stagnated in my progression. He as always responded very quickly and has provided well thought out advice - you can tell he took his time with his response and provided me with helpful information. So they just don't forget about you when you are done, they are a great group of people!

10. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Well worth the money. The drills they put you through are not easy but once you get the hang of it they open up possibilities for the track.

bacolmm and Chip like this.
  11. Chip

Chip Registered

The Ridge is going to be a really cool school this year. This will be our third time going and ChampSchool is a week before the MotoA event there, so lots of cool stuff going on at the track. Amazingly enough the event is selling really well for being 6 months away. All the Canadians come down take all the spots....eh.

If you want to go, I'll put together a package deal for you and your buddy.....but hurry up! :)

bacolmm, TurboBlew and ducnut like this.
  12. StaccatoFan

Hes 9. This will be his 3rd season. He’s adding a CRF110 to his program this year. Unlike the 50 where we just put them in 3rd gear and they go for it. This adds shifting to the equation. But I think his physical strength and coordination are ready for it now.

He does the Summer MiniGP camp in NJ every year and absolutely loves it. One of his annual highlights.

A Champ School on Minis that includes kids would be fantastic.

bacolmm and turbulence like this.
  13. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

YCRS is the best money I've ever spent on education and motorcycling. I was 56 when I finally went. I wish I had taken the school 20-30 years earlier.

I've been back a few times (I'm old and slow) and each time I come away with new insight and skills.

From my first attendance, it has changed how I look at riding, at driving, and generally at accomplishing any task I undertake. It was life-changing for me.

14. Chip

Chip Registered

I might hit you up for some feedback if you don’t mind.

15. Chip

Chip Registered

‘Ditto....

16. StaccatoFan

It would be my pleasure.

17. Chip, if you use one of the school's bikes, can you choose the bike?

There aren't any schools relatively close to me, so I would probably fly over and bring my gear. But if I am going to do that, I want to be able to ride an R6 or R1.

Nothing against the nekkid bikes, but I don't want to fly all that way, spend that kind of money, and end up having to ride a nekkid bike.

bacolmm likes this.
  18. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Mancation 4.0? Me and you, working on braking techniques. Me passing you on them, obviously.

:D

G2G, 5axis, TurboBlew and 1 other person like this.
  19. :crackup:

We might have to do that. I’ll bring the NBA Jams. :D

ekraft84 likes this.
  20. Chip

Chip Registered

Chris - Yes, you can choose your rental bike. The vast majority of the fleet is R6's. Typically we don't rent the R1's for the school. They are used for demo's. But we do make exceptions. We will also set it up with your desired shift pattern and ergonomics within reason.

This is a good time to mention that YCRS is not a race school. It's a two-wheeled vehicle dynamics school. In most cases you won't do a complete lap until day two. There are lots of drills and we stop on track (I know) a LOT!. A street bike with a kick stand, street tires, a radiator fan, and a normal battery is a useful thing. A race bike on slicks is a pain in the butt at the school.

[​IMG]

bacolmm likes this.