1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handicapping the 2016 GOP hopefuls

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by auminer, Aug 18, 2014.

?

Who gets the GOP nomination?

Poll closed May 29, 2016.
  1. Chris Christie

3.8%
  2. Jeb Bush

11.5%
  3. Rand Paul

17.9%
  4. Paul Ryan

17.9%
  5. Ted Cruz

5.1%
  6. Rick Perry

1.3%
  7. Marco Rubio

6.4%
  8. Sarah Palin

6.4%
  9. Scott Walker

15.4%
  10. Other Who

14.1%
  1. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

There may be one aspect of an election of today that many Republican leaders are not seeing. The propensity of the average conservative to still hold really strong religious beliefs has passed. Those feelings are just not there anymore and the sooner the Republicans understand that the better off they'll be. I've been a Republican leaning voter for many years yet I now have doubts about a Republican candidate that gets too "preachy." I don't want to hear about how God is being eliminated from Government, or how we need to get back to a more Godly approach to our way of life.

I simply want someone in office that will strive to pare down the size of Government and the intrusion of Government into our lives. That's not asking much is it?

2. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i get the feeling on that note... from either side... that once the "small government = good" guy gets into office, he's privy to information and briefings that will change their tune. saw some of that with obama. and frankly i don't care who it is, dem or repub... i feel like any candidate who runs on those grounds is making false promises they won't be able to keep once they have to make hard choices. its a good sound bite, but i think its one of false hope and unrealistic ideals. so if that's a person's main strong point... like a Rand Paul/Paul Ryan type... then they're gonna instantly let down their supporters. i just can't see how it wouldn't inevitably happen. not to mention they probably have to make a lot of promises to get to the oval office, in which case these ideals would piss off a lot of the old guard.

3. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

If she's smart, she'll pick either Texan or a Californian to lock up those states.

4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

What ever happened to John Huntsman politically speaking? Governor, ambassador to China? Executive and diplomatic chops. Is he too moderate for the far right of the party?

5. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I think he was, probably still is.

In the end, the national election is about two things -R and -D, the level of moderation is insignificant.

6. ped

ped Banned

I want a candidate that I can relate to. That's what I like in my sports players, an average Joe that's like me.....fat, slow, and mediocre

7. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I am not sure that I would subscribe to that theory.

I want someone that can lead and run a company. Government is the biggest enterprise. And that one enterprise that when it goes south, it directly affects all stakeowners/holders.

8. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I forgot all about him this time around. Actually, I don't remember too much about him from last time around. Here's an article that refreshed my memory: How Jon Huntsman can win in 2016

9. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

He can win if he would run with a -D and he will surely guarantee a loss if he runs with an -R.

10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

:wow: Pelosi or Sheila Jackson Lee? :down: :Puke:

Actually Pelosi might help with CA, but Sheila wouldn't help (& might hurt overall)

Of all the Texas Dems, the only one I can imagine she could consider is Henry Cuellar. Who, you ask? ... Exactly. An unknown outside of TX, but might swing a few fence-standing Texans (& other centrist Rs around the nation) her way.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more sense he makes.

11. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Does Hillary stand any chance of losing California? I wouldn't think so. Is there any chance Hillary could carry Texas? I wouldn't think so. I think New York doesn't need a single appeal to stay blue. Next up would be Florida and I think that state could swing on the VP choice. That's a potential haul of 107 electoral votes by winning three states. So a VP choice to carry Florida is my guess. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  12. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

latin dude would be my knee jerk guess if i had to pick straight off superficial idiot voters and some kinda dream tag team. locking up women and hispanics/minorities. i dunno who fits the bill though, i haven't paid much attention to presidential runners and up-n-comers in the scene as of yet.

13. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Florida will be probably go to the Democrat.

There is simply not enough Cuban to keep the R strong.

The housing boom and bust was a no-win situation for FL.

The state just simply welcomes too many union retirees from blue states.

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Are you actually saying Obama was a small government guy before he was elected?

:crackup:

15. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Things are definitely confusing.

16. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Why Rick Perry was smiling for his mug shot.

17. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Sadly, only five Florida counties consistently vote for the dems. But those five carry the electoral votes.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Excerpt: ""Rho Chalmers, who disclosed to the Houston Chronicle yesterday that she was a member of the grand jury that indicted Texas Gov. Rick Perry, was an active delegate to the Texas Democratic Party convention during grand jury proceedings.""

So let me see if I've got this. A felony indictment was handed down ( for political reasons ) against Perry for vetoing a budget bill. ( for political reasons )

This is a total farce.

19. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

From that list...I'll go with Rand Paul for now... I met him in the Nashville airport once...

but Paul Ryan could have a decent shot...

20. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

THat is just amazing...

His Lawyers must feel like Mark McGuire getting a softball toss on this one..:crackup: