1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gun/outdoorsy guys...

Discussion in 'General' started by Cody W., Feb 6, 2011.

1. Cody W.

Cody W. Well-Known Member

so my mom and sister bought a house in idywild....forresty town in so cal...there are mountian lions and coyotes and crap....any gun or preventative ideas.....my mom is no sissy but she is a city gal

2. jdwilliamson33

jdwilliamson33 Well-Known Member

get a nice Rock River AR15 .223

or just a nice little Ruger 10/22

3. PVR46

PVR46 Well-Known Member

20 Gauge shotgun.

Less recoil than a 12 gauge and plenty of power for dispatching critters. 4 legged and 2....

DH

4. Dissevered

Dissevered Well-Known Member

I agree, 20 gauge or the ar15 are good choices... I'd be afraid of using a handgun. Not accurate long range and if you miss when they get close, have fun. semi auto rifles are my personal choice. They are well rounded enough to give you what you need in most situations.

5. PVR46

PVR46 Well-Known Member

Agreed on the AR/M4 platform of weapons as optimum but from a cost standpoint a 20 gauge is hard to beat. Entry (cheap) AR's are going to be approaching $1000.00 whereas a used 20 gauge could be had for a couple hundred bucks.
    Pistols/handguns in a significant caliber are harder to control for the untrained than a shoulder fire weapon.

The area it's fired in may have a bearing also as any urban or semi-rural location, it's going to be risky lighting off an AR. Less of a concern with a shotgun, even w/ slugs.

The California location too, is an issue with an AR as it must be Kali compliant...

DH

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  6. Dissevered

Dissevered Well-Known Member

Very true, good points

7. trancework

trancework It's always now...

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

SW500

9. Cody W.

where do i go to look these up....im googling but tons of sites come up....any you guys recommend

10. Brian_45

Brian_45 Well-Known Member

Since it's Cali, I'd recommend against the AR due to the laws. If I remember right, you are basically left with a 10 round mag in an abomination of a rifle...

I'd go with a Marlin lever gun in .357 magnum. Low recoil, easy to shoot and damn effective.

In almost any other state, I'd say go with the AR-15...

11. boomboom929

boomboom929 Largely unsupervised

12. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Shotgun for the house, Taurus Judge if she wants something for "hiking". It is a .410 shotgun pistol

13. Cody W.

i should add she has a glock 19 that she has a ccw for and she took some class and got high marks for accuracy....so she has the hand gun on her a lot its just around the house to protect her and my sister if any critters come on the property that shouldnt be there

14. T-Roc

T-Roc Well-Known Member

barret .50 cal

15. 09bamaR6

09bamaR6 Well-Known Member

20 ga pump get's my vote.

16. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

:stupid:

20 gauge.
    Coyotes won't bother you, cougar attacks are very rare.
    If something is on your land you don't want there, a shotgun blast in the air will send it running. I'd go with a 20 over a 12 for women, or use low-brass/low-recoil 12.

If she is ever attacked by a cougar, she will be in a complete panic, and it is easier to hit something charging you w/ a shotgun when you are freaking out. Especially at night.
    But in reality, the gunshot alone will have it back-peddling and running for it's life.

My brother (RIP)saw some glowing eyes on the edge of his pasture one night with a flashlight....he was walking around looking for one of his dogs.
    He walked towards the glowing eyes until he was on-top of a cougar lying prone, facing him, with some sort of kill. The cougar started growling at him. He said his brain froze, he went temorarily deaf and started stumbling backwards getting away from it. I asked him if he could have shot it, and he said he was in such utter terror he didn't even have really any control of his arms....couldn't have aimed or fired correctly.
    That would have been a situation to have a shotgun. Or not go walking up to a set of eyes in the dark, LOL.

870 pump w/ 18" barrel is a good utility/home-defense gun.
    I am short, so I always saw a few inches off the butstock to make it shoulder/handle a lot faster. Might be something to do, if they are on the smaller side. It makes it MUCH faster to shoulder, especially if you have a coat/jacket on.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  17. Cody W.

18. six6two

six6two AWD

I would say an AR if she knows how to shoot. It will have a lot more range than any shotgun and is waaay more versatile. Plus you can get them for a pretty good price right now, specially at a gun show. YMMV though...

19. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

870's ROCK!
    For a backporch gun the 5-rounder is fine. For home defense against humans, I'd add a couple more rounds (7).

When both guns are loaded, the 5 rounder w/out the extension tube is lighter and seems to 'swing' & 'point' better.

I've got a (12gauge) 12"-barrel 870 w/ a pistol grip, if anyone breaks in....it's loaded w/ 5 rounds. If I ever thought that someone was really in the house, I'd shove my Sig229 down the back of my jammies too.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  20. Country_boy_88

Country_boy_88 Well-Known Member

how much firearm experience does she have? Slim to none your doing more harm than good getting her anything bigger than a .22 for now. stick with a 10/22 or .22 pistol and teach her the basics first. then maybe bump up to a shotgun or larger caliber

if she does have experience then id say 20 gauge or 30-30