1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSXR1000 dyno figures are here

Discussion in 'General' started by fastguy, Jan 9, 2001.

1. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Spending a lot of time at Atco Raceway between 1993-95 has made me aware of the extraordinary talent of motorcycle magazine testers. As usual, I have no proof of what I'm saying, but I have evidence that makes some numbers I've seen hard to swallow.
    Example: Rickey Gadson launched my stock 1995 ZX-9R down the 1/4 mile in 10:70 secs. I rode the same bike down the same track in 10:71. I also rode my 96 down the same track in 10:69. This doesn't conclusively demonstrate anything, but it supports the fact that I wasn't too bad at this game, and that I was somewhat consistent. Anyway, I've taken a V-Max,ZX-7R, 3 ZX-9Rs and 2 GSXR750 down that track probably a couple of hundreds times. I have never approached any of the best magazine times published. And only the 96 ZX-9R had terminal velocity matchingmagazine figures (133 mph).

Like before, I prove nothing, but it certainly makes me wonder...

2. Kendall

Kendall Well-Known Member

150 hp, 375 lbs, $10,400.....why would anybody in their freekin mind buy a sports car!!

Who could possibly use that much bike on the street.....thank you Suzuki for producing us these lost cost track rockets....and calling them street bikes...

3. Kris18

Kris18 Guest

Anyone heard any top speed numbers? Seeing as how that "magazine" edition 750 did 172 on motorcyclist, I'd think the 1000 would have to be over 180.

4. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

I am completely confused here.

PT, you say your dyno guy got GSX-R750 numbers that were consistent with the dyno figures published by magazine guys, 125-130.

Okay, so how does that indicate that Suzuki is fudging with the test bikes, if they're reading the same as customer bikes your dyno guy has run?

Did I miss something?

5. WERA82

WERA82 Infidel, phone ringing...

130-135 bhp on a stock R1 is really not out of the ordinary from what I've seen on the R1 list the past few years here in the US. Marietta Motorsports dyno'd my 99 R1 at 131bhp right after the break in period on a DynoJet150.

Why does 20 more bhp on the GSXR-1000 so unreasonable? You can bolt on an m4, throw in a jet kit on an R1 and get 10-12bhp easy. Who knows, maybe Suzuki has the right combination out of the box. 20+bhp is not unobtanium. Technology marches on.....

LEEnR6
    LEEnSV

6. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

Click on 'Pit Babes'. That's what racing's all about. [​IMG]

7. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

No you're not. Somewhere deep inside your mind he's intrigued you and your natural curiosity. [​IMG]

8. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

That's what a Power Commander and full-race pipe does for you. Sorry, I left that out.

9. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Because I believe that technology evolves in a continuous fashion rather than by quantum leaps. Unless you invent new technology, which I don't believe Suzuki has done. The 96 GSXR750, THAT was a quantum leap over the 95 porker. But I don't think the 1000 is that much more advanced that the R1 in the motor dept. Hey, like I said, it's just a hunch. I have no proof. But that got John wondering, didn't it? It can't be all that stupid.

10. fastguy

fastguy Well-Known Member

I had a 96 gsxr750 racebike that made 123 with a pipe and jet kit. My 97 streetbike with the same pipe and jetkit made 118. Everybody says the 96 had a little more power. Then I saw Josh Hayes's bike on the same dyno within 2 hours of my runs and his made 131.6. I have seen hundreds of dyno runs performed by the same person, Michael Tjon, on the same dyno. I have seen an R1 read as low as 130 and as high as 137 stock. But here is something else to throw in the situation, how about the additional hp of the GSXR 1000's ram air system. Even if the R1, like JU said, is given 6 more hp compared to its original dyno run the ram air of the GSXR 1000 will probably snatch it right back so it is a wash. I know all of the R1 owners do not want to believe it but hey it is over with. My 2000 750 stock would get beat by an R1 about 5 bike lengths, I put a pipe only on mine and we were rubbing elbows. If I have my leathers on and he has street clothes he beats me by a bike length. We have run these bikes over and over again with the same result. And yes the guy on the R1 does race so he does know how to ride. The king has arrived in the GSXR1000, let the beatings begin! [​IMG]

11. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

We got 118.8 on a stock GSX-R750 tested for the June 2000 issue (page 103), on the White Brothers dyno. We tested it with an RC51, which made 119.5.

How do those numbers compare to stock GSX-R750s (2000 models) and to your RC51 on your guy's dyno?

12. WERA82

WERA82 Infidel, phone ringing...

I don't think your point is stupid or even possibly invalid. I just don't think 20bhp is "a quantum leap" It doesn't really surprise me. Engineers learn and apply what other manufacturers have learned thru reverse engineering or whatever. Look at the R1 when it first came out in 98 (4 years ago!). It was a big step up in production bikes at the time. Based on the outputs of Suzukis other new bikes in the 600 and 750 lines that are out, doesn't it look more like that they are evolving in the continuous fashion you speak of?

Not looking to discount you, just my viewpoint. I still think the R1 looks the tits though! [​IMG]

LEEnR6
    LEEnSV

13. fastguy

fastguy Well-Known Member

We have seen as low as 115 on a 2000 GSXR750 and as high as 119. Mine with a pipe dynoed at 127 on the same dyno but then we took it to the GNF and it made 134.8! Talk about huge difference in reading. An RC51 that we dynoed made 118 and then the guy added pipes and it only made about 121 peak hp but it made about 6 more in the midrange. [​IMG]

14. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

I wasn't offended one bit by what you said earlier. I just forgot the damn smilie. [​IMG]

15. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

I haven't bothered putting my RC51 on a dyno. I'm waiting for a Moriwaki system: I'll post results when I get it. I'll say, though, that putting Hindle slip-ons and a POwercommander on it didn't make a difference in the way it feels (slow!). [​IMG]

16. AnthonyDuc

AnthonyDuc Well-Known Member

The people at Suzuki ,honda ,kaw.etc get paid mega bucks with supplies just about unlimited to engineer these bikes.Know if they put all their cards on the table at one time then the bikes of this year wouldn't be any faster than last years and the year before that and so on.The technology has always been there look at some of the older bikes take one of the Nortons they built a racer from the factory that weighed 220lbs with 48hp out of a 500cc single with a top speed of 135mph thats smoking for that style of engine.If they did it all at one time then there wouldn't be any reason for people like us to trade until our bike was worn out.These guys are pretty darn smart factory guys that is.

17. keimgsxr411

keimgsxr411 NEVER STOP DREAMING

I had my 2000 750 run on the dyno hit 123.7 bone stock ,..have since put a pipe on it and power c II ,..should hit 135 hp sp im told that with nutec fuel will hit 137 to 138.

18. keimgsxr411

had my 2000 750 run on the dyno hit 123.7 bone stock ,..have since put a pipe on it and power c II ,..should hit 135 hp sp im told that with nutec fuel will hit 137 to 138.

19. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Didn't you just say that? [​IMG]

20. keimgsxr411

sorry my BAD:O