1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gsxr tipover shutoff

Discussion in 'General' started by castoracing, Jan 6, 2002.

1. castoracing

castoracing Well-Known Member

Is it necessary to get rid of the shutoff relay on a 2000 gsxr 750? If so any easy ways to do it? Thanks for the help.

Tony GSXR 750 NV 535

2. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Please refer to previous thread with picture of torched gixxer. [​IMG]

I believe it was posted by Robby Card from Intrepid racing. [​IMG]

3. WERA29

Did a quick search and here it is:

4. Those things are dangerous as hell, I don't know what WERA's official stance on that item is, but they should have one.

That is how Scott Harwell got tore up by a guardrail at Daytona and Brandon Bayshore got his helmet and part of his face ripped off!!! A guy had a MALFUNCTIONING tipover switch which caused and accident on the banking when his bike died. Then later the same day, when they couldn't find anything wrong with his bike, he entered a race and in the first turn, his bike died again, and caused a pile up which messed up Scott and Brandon. It wasn't the guys fault really, he didn't do anything wrong knowingly.

Pat McGivern of Moto-Tune found the bad switch on his bike. If you disconnected it, and shook it in your hand, you could hear it rattle!!! It appeared to have been made without whatever viscous fluid is supposed to dampen its movements. I would ask Mark Junge or maybe JU could ask Keith Perry what he does...

5. Philip_37

Philip_37 No soup for you!

That looks like Wes Stiles's bike after his crash in the Talladega endurance race last year.

I'm not sure that a disabled tip over kill switch was the cause of the fire. I remember Wes saying that the fuel cap opened during the crash because the key was left in it to facilitate rapid refueling during pit stops.

Regardless of the cause of the fire I feel that the tip over switch is a good idea for all bikes, not just fuel injected ones. The FIM mandates their use during competition and contrary to the convictions of most street squids the tip over switches will not shut off the bike while leaned over in a turn.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And to be totally honest the bike with the malfunctioning one at Daytona that Max is talking about had a malfunctioning electrical component - the same type of thing has happened with other electrical items on bikes causing crashes as well so I can't see blaming it on the tipover switch, I blame it on the bike being broken...

One of these days we'll probably mandate tethers (anyone remmeber why VBR started using them?) but for now it's not been a huge problem.

7. castoracing

castoracing Well-Known Member

So what everyone is saying leave it alone and keep it on there?

8. huffdaddy

huffdaddy Well-Known Member

Make sure that it working the way it should. it should not rattle as max said. I think the lanyard on the kill switch is a good thing too. If we could get a ruling on it that was clear and every one used the same thing. like a boat kill switch I have seen so types on bikes that were questionable if they would trip the kill switch or not. The bike in the pic. the cap opened up and fuel poured out. Quick release cap.. I saw three bikes burn up because of them last year. I think this is something for mongo to look at. Well the bikes crashed then the fuel leaked so I guess do not crash and no problem right mongo..

9. WERA29

And then there's Richard who likes to hit the kill switch himself when braking for turn 1 at Summit. [​IMG]

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yup. When the fires start to be damaging to more than just the bike I'll worry about it a lot more but for now it's no worse than a really bad tumble.

[This message has been edited by Mongo (edited 01-08-2002).]

11. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

Bite me. [​IMG] It wasn't my fault. Somebody made me go out on a F4.

Stupid Hondas.

12. WERA29

Would this be the very same F4 you begged me to ride at VIR after your bike got destroyed? [​IMG]

13. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

Well you know the old saying. Begger can't be choosers. [​IMG]

14. JoeTassone

JoeTassone The Dude abides...

I know this isn't what you meant by this but, how does the Air Fence hold up to a flaming bike?

Joe

15. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

viscous fluid? the five I have taken apart have not had any fluid in tip over switch much less any sort of seal to hold the fluid in. [​IMG] Now if it did have some sort of non-conducting fluid in them it would be a better soultion as it would not allow engine to die in the event of a snap/psuedo high side recovery or a tank slapper that is only times I have seen switch be activated on course but how often do those happen almost every weekend.
    Switch should only be activated when bike is on its side. I think a switch with a 1/2 to 1 sec delay would be the answer which fluid dampening or a capacitor would be answer maybe there are others.

16. Mr. Mongo,

I think that a lanyard is a good idea. And from the standpoint of your bid-niss, if a racer is ok, but his bike burns to a crisp instead of sliding to a stop, then he may not be able to afford to replace an entire motorcycle. Then you will lose his financial input into your organization for the rest of the year (or maybe two). A $20 switch could add a lot to the bottom line of a racing club.

C'mon Mongo, be PRO-ACTIVE!

I have seen melted Traxxion stickers before. !Sniff!Sniff!

17. huffdaddy

huffdaddy Well-Known Member

Good point max what would the cost be.. the air fence thing is something to think about too. It is just a thought... not that I think to much. And Max your stickers are black anyway..

18. WERA29

Ouch! [​IMG]

If I didn't stop racing the F4 and buy a new gixxer I'd have to be offended! [​IMG]

19. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

Don't mess with the bull; you'll get the horns. [​IMG]

20. WERA29

You owe Tex $5 for saying that. He'll kick you squah in the nuts if you don't pay him. [​IMG]