1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gsxr ecu flashed?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by craigcoble2000, Aug 6, 2015.

1. craigcoble2000

craigcoble2000 Well-Known Member

Has anyone recently.....flashed an ecu for a 2011 GSXR 750? If so, good, bad, etc.

Thanks....

2. craigcoble2000

Anyone.....

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not a 2011 but I did mine which is an 06 600, and there's not really all that much difference there.

Had FT ECU do mine. Left the fuel map alone so that I could tune it locally on a dyno with the Bazzaz box that's on it. No complaints, bike runs great.

4. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Did mine which is a 2013 (Same engine but different part number ECU). Biggest Gains are from 12500 up since Suzuki closes the secondary throttle plates down some after 12K gradually until they are only open 78% at redline. Dyno chart before and after shows a much cleaner curve up to redline. There are some other minor thing in the STP map that can be cleaned up, plus things like the fuel trim map but really those items are at such low RPM for emissions testing they don't impact you on the track since you are never down there.

Depending on flash capabilities (I use Woolich), there are other useful options like raising idle RPM, lowering fan turn on and disabling a bunch of emissions stuff like pair valve, exhaust valve, the coil FI light error some quickshifters cause, etc.

I don't have any piggyback on mine since we built the flash fuel tables on the dyno.

Also was able to unrestrict B mode making it a full power mode so we mapped for pump fuel in A and MR12 in B.

5. craigcoble2000

Thank you for the feedback. So it sounds like it does not make that big of a difference?

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It entirely depends on what "big of a difference" means to you.

If you are comparing it to bike like the newer gen R1/R6, ZX-10, etc that have pretty severe top end restrictions that need a reflash to remove them then no, its not that big of a difference.

7. craigcoble2000

Yes I have heard that some bikes have more restrictions and others. Therefore again was just contacting riders on the form to see if it was beneficial for my bike, 2011 GSXR 750

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Well you can see the list of available options that can be done via flashing from any of the shops that offer the service,

https://ftecu.com/shop/11-12-gsxr-750-mail-in-ecu-flashing-service/

its up to you to decide whether they will be of benefit to you unless you were planning to get the bike worked on and let someone else ride it :D

9. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Yeah, there is no magic huge gain just from the flash, it all depends on your goals. In my case I wanted to eliminate having piggyback controllers to eliminate extra wiring and additional points of failure. As I noted in first reply there are some gains up top, in my case we saw maybe 4 hp at 13.5K just from unrestricting the STP opening before making any fueling changes but it's not like some of the other bikes that are really restricted.

10. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Fwiw. My 07 750 gained 4 HP on top by remapping the oem ECU(stock engine sans pipe and BMC race filter). More importantly tho, it noticeably smoothed and fattened up the mid range. Made the bike that much more satisfying to ride. Well worth it imo.

11. craigcoble2000

Agree it sounds like a lot of riders do this to smooth out the torque curve. However I already have a bazzaz on mine. Was curious to see if it would help out bottom end grunt or top end horsepower.

12. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

I can see that, the 06/07's had a distinct dip in the midrange that needed some work to fix, I had both year models and they both needed work in that area.

Some top end gains to be had as the engine can't breath with the secondary throttle plates closing down the way they do.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I've got an 06 also. What's the benefit on these older bikes? I already have a PC, ignition module, and quick shifter.

14. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

The stock ecu shuts the secondary butterflies at wot down significantly starving the motor of oxygen, when you flash the ecu it changes how the secondaries open and close relative to throttle position thus keeping them open longer allowing more air in for a better burn there by creating more ponies on the top end. My 08 600 went from 113 rwhp (not flashed) to 117 rwhp (flashed)

15. craigcoble2000

Dave..... that's pretty good for a 600. Where did you get yours flashed at? And did you have anything else done to your bike to get that kind of horsepower? Craig

16. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I wouldn't just let anyone flash it. Had my 1000 cleaned up by Livengoods and I need to take my 750 to him one day. My 750s a streetbike so low priority with me right now.

My 1000 required quite a bit of cleanup by Livengood from prior 'flash' so tread lightly.

17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Had my '13 750 done by Karns in Harrisburg. My biggest gripe with stock was the off idle surge. This was cleaned up nicely plus about 2 more HP and a flatter curve. Worth it? I was very concious of the surge, now I don't even think about it.

18. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

Mark Junge from MCJ Motorsports did my ecu flash. My motor is stock internally, running the stock header with a MJS cat delete pipe into a Yoshimura R-77 can . Dynoed on a Bazzaz Principia dyno.

19. craigcoble2000

Roy good point. That was one of my other concerns about having the ECU flashed. Having someone flash it then putting it back on the bike only to have several error codes show up. Then of course having it reflashed or having to add other components to solve the issues.

20. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Yeah, your bike blew up because of that FREE flash I did, oh wait no it didn't! Well, it did run so bad you couldn't win races on it........ Oh wait, NM you DID win using that flash! The phrase should go " Be careful who you do a FREE favor for because they'll bitch on the internet about it for 2 fuggin years straight ". You make it very hard to be cordial with you. You asked if we could do a quick flash to add a quick shifter and get the AFR safe for NOLA, it was set to 12:8.1 . I have the logs still , I haven't posted them here or on IG the numerous times you've bitched because I figured at some point you'd let it go. Grow up my man, there are better things to worry about in the world.