1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grom

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I'm a two Grom family now, and I'm trying to find a roll-on front wheel chock solution. I've seen at least one from the usual folks that make full-sized bike ones, but they seem to be the same price as the big ones. That kinda makes sense I suppose, as they require the same amount of work to build, but they should be able to be much less heavy-duty than a full-sized bike one.

Anyhow, it would be a bit pricey to get two of those. Anybody cobbled anything like that together themselves? I'd want the full, heavy duty one for a big bike, but thinking something simpler would work for a Grom (or two).

2. They do make this really cool thing called a kickstand. :D

For that matter, you could just leave it in gear and prop it up against the wall.

K51000 and dtalbott like this.
  3. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

They sell el cheapo roll-on front wheel chocks at Harbor Freight. They can be modified for a smaller wheel by drilling a hole for the lower cradle and moving it forward.

K51000 likes this.
  4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I just got the axle pins for my Pitbull TRS for like $80. For transport you won’t be disappointed. The TRS is a very versatile product. Once you buy one never sell it. More than likely they make pins for what you have now and will have in the future. Sheer genius and value for the Customers.

Phl218 and Gorilla George like this.
  5. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

This is for the garage and I'm trying to save space. They aren't laying on their side on the floor now, so I think I have the whole kickstand thing sussed. :p

The theory is that two Groms standing straight up take up less space than two Groms leaning on their kickstands. Leaning them up against the wall takes up valuable wall real estate. Where would I put my racing posters? :cool:

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Thanks, that sounds like something worth looking in to. I hadn't thought about modifying a "regular" sized one.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

8. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Who's done the 300 swap here?

9. six6two

six6two AWD

Just picked up a ‘14.... blown away by this little thing!! For such a cheap bike it sure feels... refined?? Any quick performance mods? Not gonna throw money at internals yet... honestly wanna leave the stock pipe on long as possible.

I’m putting suspensions and brakes on it first.. ohlins actually seems like the way to go there on a budget.. I’m not seeing a gold valve kit hahathen

Wondering if anyone has bad experience w KOSO kits? After the chassis is sorted I wanna put a big bore kit with the stock head and pipe.. then if it’s still lacking may go 4v at some point. KOSO offers a lot for this bike and I’ve never heard of them before the Grom..

10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

You can get about 90% of the space savings by putting a piece of wood under the kickstand(s).

K51000 likes this.
  11. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Change OEM tires first.
    Get shock and forks sprung for your weight next (I use YSS shock and Ohlins carts)
    If you plan to carry a lot of lean, get some rearsets, they bottom out quick.

For the engine, you can change out the intake for some cheap HP, but it does increase the noise. Exhaust is more about weight loss than anything. Get a bazzaz or power commander to go along with that.

Good set of dirt-bike handlebars makes it feel a "little" bit less silly...but only a little :D

K51000 likes this.
  12. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

For real? a PC, for a Grom? Change the bars, add neons and stickers, IMHO- they're still very silly

13. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Baxley makes a chock for those size wheels. You ride the best, you buy only the best for it.

14. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Yep. If you start modding the stuff that affects fueling, it's the same story as anything else. By all means, leave it all stock, you don't gain much until you start looking at big bore kits and such anyways, but if you do start messing with it, being able to adjust the fuel is needed. Don't believe anyone has hacked the ECU yet to do it for free.

For the bars, it feels better to me with lower bars. The mini ape-hangers it comes with just felt too weird to me. No, it doesn't transform it into a Panigale, but it made it more fun for me in the slightly more aggressive body position.

15. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I have all the parts and this 300 motor for the swap- should be fun.

1551644444090_20190209_160732_resized.jpg

Phl218 likes this.
  16. Past Glory

Takagawa and Kitaco are the two big players in the big bore game. Both are Japanese companies. Broome got the Takagawa stuff and he posted that Livengood gave them a good review in terms of quality. I always felt that doing anything less than a big bore kit would be a waste of money, but decided to try the 125 hop up route anyway. While I did see a good bump in top speed, it's still a 125. I went with the following:
    Chimera intake kit
    PCX150 injector
    Finbro ported, big valve head
    Takagawa s cam
    Finbro high compression piston kit
    Takagawa high volume oil pump
    Takagawa cam chain tensioner arm
    Barnett clutch w/HD springs
    RB billet clutch spring star
    Finbro ECM (thiss is not tunable and doesn't have the enrichening feature so cold starts are finicky)
    Yoshimura exhaust (with decible killer insert installed)

As far as "seat of the pants" goes, I proved myself correct and putting this out there for those who haven't pulled the trigger on motor mods. Do yourself a favor and get the 181 BBK right off the bat. Yeah, it's a bigger financial hit initially, but the difference is substantial enough that you won't find yourself saying that you should have gone all in.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Holy fuck I didn't know that was a thing and now I need one.

masshole likes this.
  18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I posted a video of someone riding one, probably in this thread, maybe a few weeks ago.

19. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Unfortunately if anyone wanted to race one (why not lol - we will race anything we can) alot of classes won't allow a BBK.

20. Past Glory

Mongo allows Broome to run his, though he makes him start at the rear of the field and does not give him any points. That does allow the bike to be run out there, while not impeding anyone else's points positions. Perhaps if enough people were doing it, there would be a GROM SS and a GROM SB classification in the future. It is interesting that Sportbike Track Time has created a couple of "mini" days, where they break down their three groupings by size:
    65-180, 181-598, 599 and up, all running under Intermediate rules.

BigBird likes this.