Grattan National

Discussion in 'General' started by 5axis, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Bicycle and a wallet from what I heard. Same pit.

2. Bburns912

Bburns912 Well-Known Member

Someone's boots got snagged on the lower paddock too.

3. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

You must be talking about the Senior Superbike race on Sunday. That was a crazy half lap that I got to witness 2 of the 3. 2 guys take each other out in T1. I'm thinking that's a red flag for sure. By the time I get to T3 the flagger is running out waving a yellow. I'm thinking wrong flag then I see the bike at the bottom of T3. Still waiting for red T4-8. Only to see a trail of sparks on the back sweeper. I think we raced all the way through T1 before actually getting a red flag. And I was just saying I liked racing in Senior instead of CSS because racers were more careful. So much for older and wiser :)

Talking about an odd weekend. I know the earlier discussion was about the crew at Grattan being great. Up until this weekend I would totally agree. Something was off. Not sure if they changed personnel or there were radio issues, but there were too many flagging issues for any weekend let alone a national. I have my own story about the start of race 1 Saturday, but it actually worked in my benefit. However, I heard more than one person in the pits complaining about when flags were thrown from checkers to yellows to reds. I've never worked that side of things, but it's definitely been done much better in the past.

The issue with the pit out crash seems like it's just as much the person letting people out. It's been a while since I did a track day, but what makes pit out after T4 work is the person letting people out is the owner of that task. You wait for him/her to say OK. I used to do a fair amount of track days and it was always the same guy. He was strict. There were times when I thought it was plenty safe and if someone was coming down 3 he wouldn't let you go. Not sure who was doing that Friday, but maybe it was someone new. Doesn't excuse the riders for not checking as well, but they never should have been allowed to enter the track at that time.

As for theft, it's never been an issue at any of the NC events I've been to the past 5 years, especially not Grattan.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  4. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

Weird weekend indeed.

I never made it... got rear-ended in Toledo on 475, about 3 hours into the trip. Guy in his late 20s/early 30s in a Cadillac sedan was "looking at his GPS" in yo-yo stop-and-go traffic and smashed into the girl behind me in a Focus, and drove her into the back of my little 5x8 open shitbox Carry-On trailer. Of course those things are made of paper mache so there was all kinds of issues.

Race bike was ok, TRS did it's job well. Receiver folded like a taco but I managed to MacGuyver the situation, flip the drawbar and make it work. Retreated back to Findlay OH where my dad lives and re-assessed. Took a sledge to it and smashed and pried and got it so it still mostly functions and I could drop the ramp gate. Decided to sit it out and come back to Cincinnati. 2 hours back home seemed like the smarter play, than going another 3 hours north and 5+ hours back south with a lot unknown factors. Bummed to miss Grattan... never been there. 2017 it is, I guess.

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

I'll never understand this. What's to gain from it. Go buy a new helmet already. Several good ones can be had for $300 or so.

dsmitty37 and Canadian Bacon like this.
  6. motorcoacher

motorcoacher Member

I would like to know also. There will never be another first time :)

dsmitty37 and sPatlovich1 like this.
  7. Rich Graver

Rich Graver Well-Known Member

Apparently it was a"$1000 paint job" on a Kmart helmet.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    JJJerry likes this.
  8. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

Damn TK running :17s again! Last year I raced him it was :19s without any rain, thought I didn't have to go that much faster to keep up, congrats! I suppose a few crashes were dudes going for the 'fast guys'

9. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

There were some crashes, some thru mistakes and some that just happened. I had a few close calls in race 10 and my times were up.

I truly hope that the theft wasn't from anyone in the road racing paddock, it's embarrassing for our entire community to have that kind of chit going on. I hope it's returned (though I don't have a good feeling it will be) and whoever took it gets their hands crushed in a wood chipper.. Thieves disgust me

10. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Here is a pic of the bike that was stolen...
    The bike is part of a sponsorship program with Haibikes.
    We would appreciate everyone keeping an eye out for it. The bike was parked in Tyler King's pit area next to mine. There were two Haibikes bikes there Saturday night only one Sunday morning.
    We honestly thought someone just borrowed it. Heck half the paddock has ridden these bikes. (They are actually really fun to ride with the electric assist. Lol).
    Police report was filed. image.jpeg

Thanks in advance.

Ride safe,
    AAron

HEF211 likes this.
  11. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Sorry to hear about the theft Aaron. I've never heard of something being stolen from a pit at Grattan, or any track I've been to in the NC with WERA for that matter.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's rare but it happens. Bad people are everywhere sadly.

My favorite theft at Grattan story is the idiot who stole a helmet from a vendors table. In the infield. During an 8 hour Endurance.... Had the sheriff waiting at the checker :D

5axis likes this.
  13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

$300??? If you can live with closeout designs from a year ago, you can get a safe (not a light, full-feature) helmet for $150. No excuses. The good online retailers will even check the build date for you if you ask them via website chat. Then you're not buying a 4 yr old helmet by accident, just because it's on clearance.

14. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Yep I had a YSR50 stolen from Grattan in the late 90's at a CCS round.

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Joe Ball had something stolen during the Clubman race.... his dignity

16. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I'm one of the bikes that was let out just prior to the incident. It was the same staff member it's always been working the T4/5 corner station. We sat there a looong time with no breaks in the traffic, and it was clear he was getting a little frustrated and wanted to get bikes out on track. Just as he waved me on I looked left and saw someone hauling the mail through 4, guessing it was JF - "Oh shit" I thought to myself. I gassed it hard and got way off the line through 5 and waited for him to come through. No one came past and by the time I was at the bus stop it was red flagged. If anyone came on behind me it was going to be dicey as hell, especially if they were non-racers.

Something for everyone here. I might have stopped prior to entry, but I also might have gotten rear ended. Riders should know how to get off the race line when entering anywhere during race practice. CW should hold off entry until kingdom come if necessary for safety. Org should look at using hot pit for race practice, considering there are going to be folks turning '19's out there during a track day.

renegade17 likes this.
  17. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

I hope whoever stole it is caught soon.
    That would seem to be a unique (and I'm guessing expensive) vehicle almost anywhere, so hopefully someone sees something.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  18. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Yes that's why I posted it there are not many in the country.
    They are around $6,500
    (It's all Bosch technology in the electronics)
    Hopefully Michigan peeps can keep their eyes open in the local Craigslist / bike forums etc.

Ride safe,
    AAron

19. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Already checked twice today and will keep an eye out for you.

Bburns912, JJJerry and DucatiBomber like this.
  20. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Thank you!

Ride safe,
    AAron