1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grattan counter race

Discussion in 'General' started by double_d, Apr 17, 2003.

1. double_d

double_d drag more than a knee

OK,

looking on the schedule and none of the weekends are listed as counter race.... better update the schedule Mongo....

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And since when did you decide we'd be runing it backwards?

3. Devilredr6

Devilredr6 Well-Known Member

Shit, I don't want to run Grattan backwards. Heck its tricky enough going clockwise around that bad mamma jamma!

4. stevegross

stevegross Legion of Zoom

I actually like running Grattan backwards (done it with the DOCC for a few years now). I'm better at turning left...spent too much time at dirt 1/4 mile car tracks as a kid I guess.

5. stevegross

stevegross Legion of Zoom

I actually like running Grattan backwards (done it with the DOCC for a few years now). I'm better at turning left...spent too much time at dirt 1/4 mile car tracks as a kid I guess.

6. double_d

well let me see..... every year that WERA has run Grattan that I can remember (more than I would like to admit) it has been every other weekend counter race.... so this means we are not? or we are?

7. PPR

PPR Well-Known Member

Grattan is a lot more fun running backwards. I would say that the track is also safer to run counter than clockwise.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

As of right now we are not. Lets runa race there first and see how it goes then we'll worry about the other stuff.

9. fuctupbitch

fuctupbitch Active Member

one vote here for not running grattan backwards.
    running it cw is my only chance for a top ten this year.

10. aoddev

aoddev Member

While it *is* fun backwards, you have one problem: somebody losing it at the end of the straight could conceivably have their bike re-enter the track. It's downhill and not *too* far for a ghostrider. I'll admit not likely, but... :eek:
    and what about not having the right hander after the jump?

11. Saw it last year, not a good scene. Rider=OK, bike=not OK. The guy said he saw a Ducati gas tank pass him in the air. Fun for track days, racing-well I don't know about that.

12. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

clockwise.

13. PPR

PPR Well-Known Member

I agree that there are spots in running counter that could be a potential issue. The downhill occurrence could happen but likely would not. If so, then yes a cross track occurrence most likely would occur.

In the same corner going clockwise there is a nice wall coming onto the front straight that I have seen a few people test out and their test didn't look so hot afterwards.

The bowl is a problem running counter though. I seen Steve Compasano (SP) enter into the bowl and tuck the front which caused the bike to become a flying projectile to several riders who where in the bowl at the time. Lucky it didn't hit anyone of the riders or they would not have been here today. This is a real nasty spot to catch a motorcycle in the back. (This is the second worst spot in running it counter)

The bowl is not a problem running clockwise though.

The wheelie hill in the back is not a problem-running counter (short shift) but it is running clockwise. (Clockwise) Coming over the hill with the front tire slightly off the ground and the rear tire barely on the ground. The suspension is unloaded and then becomes fully loaded as riders rip the handle bars off the bike and grab a big knarly handful of breaks to slide it through the next the right-hander.
    (Sadowski Terminology). (Note: Beware of the turtles)

Running clockwise which would be turn 4 the blind left downhill corner is pretty harsh if there is an occurrence that does not self clear the track. You cannot see what’s on the other side if you are coming full steam and committed. In defense to clockwise you cannot see anything either if you are going counter through the same spot. (Up the hill) While going counter through this turn..... BIG chance for a highside.

All and all there are pros and cons to both directions and it once again comes back to your personal preference to how you like the track.

I myself really like Grattan.

14. Devilredr6

Devilredr6 Well-Known Member

Being I pay to ride on that track, and am not paid to ride on it, I will second my vote for going clockwise in the safest way.

A gas tank in the back of the head....not pretty!

15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

That can be a problem - usually it doesn't take long for newcomers to the track to find out that you have to wait for the bike to settle before doing anything with the brakes.

The nice pro of going clockwise through that turn is the large amount of runoff area. If you're cresting the jump, and you grab some brake and the bike gets all squirrelly, you can at least ride off the track into the grass and attempt to not lay the bike down.

16. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

:up: I give it.........two thumbs up... its a blast. :up:

I sure there a lot safety concerns about running it clockwise...

the launching pad for one... the bowl...

the track is a complete hoot in reverse. the off camber turn is still off camber but it's not blind anymore.

the jump is just wheelie hill...tighten up your damper.

my 2 cents

17. This is last year backwards on my street bike between 5 and 4. Both wheels off the ground(only slightly), really fun. Maybe not for racing but a blast at a track day. STT runs a few days backwards and they have turned out to be very safe. I know track days are safe due to the fact you are out there having fun, don't know about 3 guys aiming for the same turn though.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/dmccrack...s&.dnm=Wheelie+1.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

Last edited: Apr 21, 2003
  18. double_d

Ekraft.... your gonna need a bike before yuo can vote.. hehehe saw your motor Friday..... as far as the safety concerns go... lets beat this into the ground again.... as far as going off the end of the straitaway... been there done that (on my head) not fun, but not as bad as going off the end running normal direction (ask Brain Gibson or Dale Quarterly)... running off the end of 4... well that way there is 100's of yards compaired to regular direction... (Ask Jeff Vos... 1000cc off 4 at speed backwards) ...the jump.... its different but no worse backward, just another challenge.... 2.. same...3 better due to not being blind... esses... same.... bowl, more fun.... sweeper.. safer, no one ever made it over the rail backwards.... (forwards ask Stacy Young and Kevin Lehman).... so there, its beat to death....

19. Steve Karson

Steve Karson Tcasby is my Bitch !!

Grattan backwards is a blast!! If you are afraid to race it, stay on the porch with the little dogs.

20. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

So you saw it? What a nightmare. If I can get out by June, I'd consider that to be pretty good. I was real lucky in that I was able to take my dad's bike to Summit this past weekend.

I think I'll go sell my soul for an SV motor ..