1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand Wagoneer

Discussion in 'General' started by Dits, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I’ve always wanted one... Mrs. Dits too. I found one I like in Connecticut for a good price and I’m thinking about getting on a plane and buying it.

Who’s owned one and what are you impressions?

2. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Buy it before you get on the plane, wifi can be spotty.

Phl218 and ChemGuy like this.
  3. Dits

That’s about useless. :D

turbulence likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

BTDT and loved it. Black with the wood. Lots of chrome, 360 v8 I think. Horrid gas mileage but so cool. Ours was in amazing shape too, really wish I hadn't sold it but needed a pickup for work stuff.

5. Dits

They are just so damn cool. That 10 mpg has to suck though.

6. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

This. But I’m the pot calling the kettle black, I’ve got a V10 Excursion. Where in CT?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Roof rack rocks for Xmas decorations too :D

Dits likes this.
  8. Dits

Not telling. :D

9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Dad had the '79 J10 short bed pickup with the 360. Agreed - that whole generation of Jeeps were cool.
    He had the '76 Renegade "Levi Editon" - CJ7 too.

Good times.

27 likes this.
  10. Dits

No truck ever produced looks better lifted than that one.

27 likes this.
  11. 27

27 Well-Known Member

It's a real AMC Jeep... The 360 is a solid engine and the 4wd system is top notch, especially for it's day. It's a big nice solid machine. I've had at least one Jeep at a time, usually more than, since I was 14. The jeep that started it all was the full size Cherokee 360/3spd/command-trac(2dr version if the grand wagoneer)

I'll have another old school AMC Cherokee/wagoneer someday probably a J20 truck too. I'm a Jeep guy but the international Harvesters are cool too... The TravelAlls to the Scouts and IH trucks.

motoracer1100 likes this.
  12. Dits

My entire family built Scouts at the IH plant in Ft. Wayne when I was a kid. That would be another cool thing to grab. Just not a great daily.

13. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Okay, but if you need any assistance I’m in Fairfield County.

Dits likes this.
  14. 27

27 Well-Known Member

The Levi edition CJs were odd... Everyone I ever saw had the denim worn out with the cushions hanging out everywhere. I drove a sweet CJ7 black/silver in HS...

15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Dits we've talked before... I'm about an hour from FW... I remembered you were from around here... Pretty Cool that your family built IH stuff... My grandpas both painted Studebakers in South Bend...

IH scouts are cool but not big Jeep cool... They made that Grand Wagoneer platform for so long it was really a trouble free vehicle, especially considering how long ago it was designed.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Dits likes this.
  16. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I was the mechanic for my wife’s 87. It was a sound motor and drivetrain but the accessories were constantly breaking. IE power windows, seats, defroster etc. When new these were very expensive as they had options that only the nicest vehicles had at that time. It’s a very comfortable car to drive but you will have some maintenance. What is your “good” price? My wife is looking for one now so I have a good feel for the current market.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I just looked at some - holy shit I REALLY wish I'd kept mine :eek:

ChemGuy likes this.
  18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Blue with wood here. Bought it for $2000 and sold it for $3000 and as of a year ago, it was still on the road.

Slower than heck but would climb about anything. Watch for rust because everything on it including the plastic will.

19. Dits

20. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Dad kept that thing pristine. The blue one, soft top, had the brass Levi buttons in the upholstery. bought it brand new the summer I turned 6.

Dad did Jeeps before they were hipster cool.

'46 Willy's AJ (not sure which model) that got towed out to Montana for the yearly elk hunting trip.
    Then a '70 plain Jane red CJ7, followed by the Renegade and the J10.

Always soft tops, but would never take the tops off, just pull the doors and roll up the back window in the summer.

He said he didn't want a sunburned head. :D