1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPZ550 in V4

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 72westie, May 19, 2010.

1. 72westie

72westie Well-Known Member

How competitive is a close to stock Kawasaki GPZ550 in V4? My buddy has one right now and is looking at buying a second one for a racebike. I see they are allowed a 3mm overbore, but how does a stock one run against the other bikes? Are Mono-shock ones legal or is it twin shock only?

2. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Twin shock only.

GPZ550, built, can be VERY competitive. Of course, you still have to out ride a guy on a built Seca 550, and a guy on a built Triumph 750, (both of which are VERY difficult to do), but aside from them, you can wobble around with the rest of us.

3. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

Oldakowski on one of his heavy flow days on the XS650 of his is no walk in the park either...

That said, he bought a twin shock GPZ550 with that purpose exactly in mind, and then turned around and sold it...They are fantastic engines, a built one would be a blast, they spin up like nobodies business...

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

My first street bike, 1981 Gpz 550. Man I thought thing was so fast.....until I got my new 1992 FZR 600. That was a rocket ship.

Hmmmm...racing a old Gpz550....who builds good motors for those?

5. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Roger Shepard at MSP, Atlanta, GA (404-325-4121) will build you a reliable, fast motor. Tell him I referred you.

I did not mean to exclude Rich O, he is a good, fun-to-race-with, safe, rider. But I run with Rich. I no longer run with Tim J, unless you include getting lapped . . . .

6. Chumbucket

No, Rich would acknowledge that...He knows who packs the gear in that class and it's Mr. Tim Joyce from what I've heard...Rock solid bike, rock solid rider...

7. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

I have raced one for the past 8 years. It is slightly built. It would be fast if it didn't have an old 260lb. rider on it.

It"s lots of fun.

8. 72westie

72westie Well-Known Member

Matt's bike is a Mono shocker and the one he is looking at a Mono also. Looks like he needs to look at a different bike I guess.

9. T.Read

T.Read Well-Known Member

Would this be the fella with the Yellow one? Number 91 I think? Saw that bike at Barber....really cool bike. I was wondering what year that thing was and what all had been done to it. I think we may have been running together in practice for a lap or two. I know I was latched on to a Ducati 650, I think is what it was, for a few laps.

10. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Not sure Tony, but I think David was referring to Wayne Shelton, nice red Seca 550, # 156....WERA V4 National # 1 for what....3 or 4 years in a row now....he wasnt at Barber.

I've seen that yellow one also...purty quick.:up:

11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Wayne Shelton #156.

At the GNF a few years ago, I worked hard to get around Royce on his brutally fast 750+ Ducati on the last lap to take the win, and I spoke to Wayne afterwards (he took third and the class championship for the year). he said he'd been following Royce and I and enjoying the back and forth. he knew third place points were all he needed, and he could have passed us and left us.

He and Tim J are the class of the class.

12. Chumbucket

I've watched Wayne get around Summit, he's pretty to watch in a heterosexual way of course...That bike is sweet too...

13. Stormdragon

Stormdragon Apogee of the nadir baby!

I've got the frame for a twin shocker sitting out in the rain if someone wants it....