1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPA Pro specs

Discussion in 'General' started by obcbr, Mar 19, 2017.

1. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

I'm trying to load them on my phone, but it isn't working. I had a wreck in 3 at Roebling on Sunday. Wasn't leaned over far, slowed down due to clutch issues, and took the same line yet the front tucked easily. I was thinking there was something on the track, but nothing was found. I'm truly perplexed, and my last idea is the tire is worn. It's near, not on, the wear bars, and has had 3 heat cycle's on it. Any ideas or tire spec info?

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I'd guess u let the tires cool down and under loaded the front tire.

Near the wear bars? I replace Dunlop fronts long before the wear bars. They start to slide by my 4th race sometimes. Then I use em for trackdays a few seconds off my pace.

What do u mean 3 heat cycles? How many laps? How many days? What kind of pace?

G 97 likes this.
  3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 10.53.04 PM.png

obcbr likes this.
  4. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

Don't slap me, 15 laps at Barber from.a MA guy last year,his qual. Then my 2 races Saturday at Roebling running 18s.

5. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

6. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

I know it's not a new tire, but I've got tons of laps on Michelins, stones, and pirellis before. I know close to 100. I know guys go fast on these tires, trying to figure out how I can.

Also, I ran 35f and 21r hot. I did 17s until the crash.

7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Were you towards the middle of the track?
    There's bumps there that people have warned me about

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  8. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

No, I stayed on the inside for that reason. I'm thrown off as to what happened.

noles19 likes this.
  9. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

You gotta keep the flops hot or the grip is shite. That said..you pace isn't slow. So I don't know.

busa99 likes this.
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

What compound were on too. I'm gonna assume medium/medium?

obcbr likes this.
  11. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

Check

12. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

as this guy suggests, I would say the tire cooled down a bit too much and it may have been under loaded. also, 21r seems a bit high. most people I know run 18-19 in the rear on the dunlops.

obcbr likes this.
  13. You let them cool down.

busa99 and jeffr1ey like this.
  14. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

Was going off what the rep suggested. I slowed down to 18's. Didn't think that could cool it. It's feasible though.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My guess is the wind.

16. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I think Dunlop recommends 33/23 hot off the warmers for the GP Pro, but I typically set those pressures for hot off the track. I'd say off the warmers mine are usually around 31/21.

Regarding the crash, I wouldn't let it shake your confidence. Sometimes weird shit happens and you do yourself worse by trying to figure it out rather than just getting back out there and riding.

obcbr likes this.
  17. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

im not sure i believe the original assertion of "wasnt leaned over far". dropping only 1sec off is a very small change over an entire lap.

if it was cold and/or windy and u got lazy and stopped really using the brakes, the front tire can cool off QUICK. plus all that contributes to not loading the front for that corner.

u like the front tire that mushy? are u racing around an Expert pace?

i rly think u should experiment w/ way more front tire pressure and c if u like how the bike turns.

21r is good for longevity, but IMO theres more grip w/ lower pressure (on a 600).

drop and obcbr like this.
  18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I would tend to agree....I've had better feel up front running about 34/35 hot off the warmers up front and lower in the back at around 20-20.5 hot off the warmers out back.

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I have to 2nd what Stangmx13 said. Granted my experience was from 2012 with my son running the tire before the GPA Pro, but we ran up to 36-38 (hot off track) to make the front feel much better. Also ran the rear as low as 17-19, as I recall.

20. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

+1 to this, I lost the front 2 years ago and couldn't begin to tell you why. I wasn't running a slower pace or anything, the front just folded....dunlop fronts seem to work really really well for the guys that can really hammer on the front (front running experts) and do weird shit for everyone else. Don't let it shake your confidence, get that front tire PSI up to 34-36 and get back at it!

obcbr likes this.