1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good sennsibly priced Racing Gloves?

Discussion in 'General' started by FED34FIRE, Jul 4, 2009.

1. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I was suprised as well, as I have several pair of Kobe street gloves I have worn for years and only one of those pair are worn out (tips of the fingers have started coming apart, the palms are still fine). My Xpros were great, too.

I bet I didn't get 12 weekends at the track out of the race gloves, and that is the only wear they got. My concern is that had I crashed in them they would have fallen apart, as the leather was evidently no good. Since I can't tell if another pair are the same, and don't need that nagging doubt in my head, I use something else.

And my eyesight is fine, thank you very much. :D

2. blueduc37

blueduc37 Well-Known Member

I have just introduced to my TrackSkinz line some race gloves that I am really excited about:
    -14 point carbon hard armor
    -kangaroo reinforced palms
    -articulated finger joints (no break-in, and they breath)

These oughta be about $90

I am into pricing the first batch at $54 + 6 shipping

James Stroud high sided in a pair at Barber last month at about 125 - the gloves have no real damge - just scuffed up.

Any WERA peeps that want to take a look - write me at [email protected]
    and I'll send a pair. If you like, pay me. If not send them back.

Attached Files:

3. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

I have a new set in the shop. Tag says Made in Ukraine.

4. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Hmmmm... have you checked for coarse hairs growing from your palms? Maybe you're wearing the leather out from the inside! ;)

Seriously though, I'd be disappointed if I'd have gotten the results you did from your gloves. You'll remember when I crashed at Barber (as you were right behind me when it happened). That was my last race of the '07 season. I bought the Kobes to replace the rashed up gloves I was using during that crash and they are pretty much all I've used since then, for both street and track. I generally do over 10,000 street miles per year spread out over several bikes.

Go figure.

5. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Nope. I've crashed in them a couple of times, and they performed admirably every time...I've bought top-o-line gloves since I started riding 25 years ago, and I've never had gloves that I have as much faith in as the Kobe's. I currently have a pair of Held Phantoms and a pair of A* gloves I bought 3 years ago (forget the model, paid $240 IIRC), and the only gloves I ever wear are my Kobe's.

The palms have kangaroo that will wear out fast if you sweat in them and then stuff them somewhere they can't dry...don't do that and you'll be happy.

6. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I didn't do that and I'm not happy. I also don't see any reference to kangaroo being used in those gloves on the Kobe or Fastlap websites.

Kobe is ok "if" you get a good item. I've had good and bad stuff from them, and that inconsistency in their products is the primary reason I no longer buy their gear. With these gloves you might get a good pair, you might not.

7. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I assume that the thinner tan leather is Kangaroo...isn't that the norm in gloves of that style? If no, then maybe it isn't Kangaroo.

I don't blame you a bit for being put off...if I'd had a bad experience with them I'd feel the same way. I've had (4) sets of them (hardly a representative sample) and my experience has been great. If I ever get a bad pair fo sho I'll re-evaluate.

8. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I honestly have no idea. I didn't recall anything about 'roo from when I had them so I went and looked.

It's actually not just the gloves that did it, as we all know any product can have an occasional problem. In my experience it's also the coat with the mis-matched sleeves, the ill constructed boots, the zipper failing in the Xpros, etc.. All those little QC issues add up.

9. S4Alex

S4Alex Well-Known Member

Designed in...
    Made in..
    Labeled in..

Only of of those are italy. The only suits they make that are made in italy are for those guys we all have in our sigs and avatar. Pro Caliber suit are most definately probably produced by some guy sitting in a dark room with a fireplace somewhere in italy.

But, who knows, doesnt mean their suits are junk. They still make some of the better off the shelf suits I have seen. For me, if I am spending close to $1500-2000 for a suit, its gonna be custom.

To the OP, sorry for thread grabbing... but to your questions.. If I had money to burn.. those new Helds are pretty suit looking have have heard almost nothing but good things. But, they are damn $$$. But, I would go with some RS gloves. They fit me well and last and protect well. I am not gonna buy another pair of A* gloves again after the way my last pair shriveled up like me in a pool for a few hours.