1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good booze?

Discussion in 'General' started by novice201, Jan 11, 2013.

1. novice201

novice201 "I'm a robot chicken!"

Almightly beeb!
    I owe someone for a favor and his wife, bless her heart, said get him some of the good stuff. I'm a beer drinker so clueless about hard hooch. Ideas? Maybe $50, $100 bucks? If there's no discernible difference between a $30 bottle or a $70 bottle that's fine too. I think either scotch or whiskey would be ok.
    Thank you!

2. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Dalmore 62

David

3. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Balvenie 12 year. Best scotch hands down. ~$50/bootle

4. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

McCallan 12 year, Glenfiddich 18 year, Jack Daniels Single Barrel.

5. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

if you're going this route, you should be pretty sure about what he likes.

**edit. from the earlier posts.....you may have figured this out already. people have their opinions on this subject

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  6. gluvnaa

gluvnaa Well-Known Member

Crown XR

7. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Tested and approved :up:

8. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

ya...maybe a shot for 100...if its on sale!

I am a dalmore guy!
    dalmore 15 is pretty nice and under 75 bucks.

9. novice201

I did ask that, she said not to worry he likes it all. Something high end may be overkill but it's the gesture too.

I dunno what's going to be available locally, so if I have a few good suggestions I can find something.
    Thanks again!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Woodford Reserve bourbon.

Won't break the bank, smooth bourbon.

11. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

cool. does he smoke?

12. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I have seen a shot of cognac for 300 usd, 1500 NOK. Guy just tossed it back, what a waste.

I saw the Dalmore 62 bottle in the Amsterdam airport and you are correct the Dalmore 15 would be a nice choice.

David

13. novice201

Not really, probably only during his poker games. That would likely piss off the wife but we're fully endorsed on the booze.

The Dalmore sounds like a good idea but again, it might be whatever I can find local.

14. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

Yup, if he likes higher-end bourbons, Woodford Reserve is hard to beat. Knob Creek is also pretty tasty. Don't get too fancy, though. Some of the most expensive bourbons, like Booker, or the Wild Turkey specials, can taste like ass, especially if they've got honey, or other crap, in them.

15. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

I'm a bourbon drinker and haven't seen this one! Looks like I'm going to the store tonight to try some! :beer:

16. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I'm pretty much a special occasional bourbon drinker (I swill cheap beer) and both of these are great ideas. Even my non refined palate can tell they are very good, and my buddy the bourbon drinker likes them too. Can't go wrong.

17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

It's my go to!

I was weened on Maker's Mark, but when the local distilleries went into the ultra premium game about 15-20 years ago, poor old Maker's is just normal now.

We get Woodford for around $35 a fifth but it might go for more elsewhere.

Keep in mind I only live about 40 miles from the distillery.

18. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Scotch: Balvenie 12 or 15 year

Bourbon: Woodford Reserve or Pappy Van Winkle

Gin: Hendricks or Bombay

19. Kelbor

Kelbor Well-Known Member

Scotch is my thing...Im still young but love throwing down for a good bottle
    Ben through Johny Walker Blue label on down.

My all time favorite is Glenrothes 15 year...if you can find a bottle of the 1993 that is my favorite (around 70-80 bucks). Smooth, rich vanilla and butterscotch notes with a slight berry/fruit undertone. A few of them are still around - look for a dusty, lonely bottle. Tried the '98 and was not as impressed.

Have not had the Dalmore or Balvenie yet (thanks...will go to liquor store after work now!)

Have a huge bottle of McCallan 15 year at home and am really not impressed.

Scotch is so personal though with its wide range of taste and flavors - its like different taste in food or women - everybody has a general idea and it is usually unique from the next guys. What about a gift certificate (even home made) to a liquor store. Or, if you trust the people, give him a blank check with the liquor store name on it.

20. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Excellent taste across the board! :up: