1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GNX, GN history buffs, need your help

Discussion in 'General' started by Rebel635, May 9, 2015.

1. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

All knowing beeb, we once again call upon your vast knowledge base.

Got into an argument on a Canadian gun forum about the GNX.

This one dude is adamant that the difference between a regular Grand National and the GNX includes wider front fenders and wider 1/4 panels among the other well knows mods like a different turbo, eeprom in the ecu, intercooler, louvres on the fenders, fender flares,suspension and other bits.

We all know that the ASC Mclaren did the mods and it started of as a regular gn, can someone confirm or deny any knowledge of sheetmetal work being do e on GNs during the transformation to GNX.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

no sheet metal changes... and you could buy the flares from places like Kirban and other niche GN shops. The GN did have a frame brace (trac bar) in the rear.

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You sure that they were only bolt on flares? I thought it was different sheetmetal, but I never got heavy into them, tho I'm a G-body guy.

4. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

For a fun review with some history search YouTube for "regular car reviews grand national". I think he only briefly went over the GNX differences but he did tell some of the early history I hadn't heard before.

5. TurboBlew

nah the flares were definitely bolt on. ASC did the same thing with the mustangs/capris from the 80s. Those 80s G bodies had a shit ton of flex unless you did the body puck kits... which was another thing the GNx had over the regular GN. I always wanted one of those cool jackets the owners got.

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

My 79 Monte has been a freshly caged, mini rubbed, Currie 9" rolling chassis since 1997. Lol. I always wondered how guys could let unfinished cars sit for decades. Now I understand.

7. Rebel635

well the dude simply wont back down. I've repeatedly asked him to show me one reference, link, etc that supports his theory.

From everything i can see, it was done on an assembly type workspace, where the fender louvres were cut into the fenders on the body.

You'd think reshaping front and back fenders would have required a repaint, which would require at least removing the front fenders.

Hes purporting to his expertise via showing pictures of other muscle cars his shop restores and that it makes him an expert as he supposedly worked on one.

This all started when he said that the GNX and GN are as far removed from each other as an Enzo and a Civic. naturally people called him out stating just bolt on parts were added at which he said that no, sheetmetal work was involved as well, hence the 11grand price tag.

Now he simply will not back down. referencing videos where people mention wider wheel wells due to the fender flares.

I'm starting to think i'm dealing with a retard.

8. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

9. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Dude. Pics!

I'm a G body guy too.

10. TurboBlew

he is retarded. The GN sold for about mid 15s to low 19s...depending on options in 86/87. The GNx was selling for 2 or 3 times that back then. It was kind of space shuttle technology. Very few owners of them understood what was under the hood and most were immediately garaged. I remember trying to get a test drive in one... and remember the NO TEST DRIVES sign on the GNx in the showroom.
    I owned one for about 7yrs. Did all the GNx exterior ad ons. Also did extensive motor/turbo/intake/heads upgrades and a ton of other stuff.

11. TurboBlew

My buddy lives across the street from a dude that has an absolute mint 87 white t type. It was pushed all the way to the back of his garage. He's owned it since new. He has no desire to drive it because in his words "its too fast for the street" and "they dont make them like this anymore" :D Guess he's been out of the loop a few years on automotive technology & power.

12. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

I bought a new off the show floor a 1987 GN.

The car was a blast especially after adding Keine Bell and Applied Technologies parts.

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

If I could go back in time with $100,000 to buy cars(for personal use, not profit) a GNX would be one of them.

14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Not much for pics, unfortunately. I had one at one point when it still had paint on it, with the mini tub and the front lowered to see how it would look, but I can't find it anymore. It now lives in the polebarn with Convo Pros and flat M&H's......

15. Rebel635

An actual expert chimed in and cleared up the discussion

I dunno about you, but hacking a fender, primering and then riveting a fender flare is IMO, not sheet metal work, nor a proper way to widen a fender. Anywho, learn something new everyday

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  16. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

One thing I've learned from being on AR15.com (and a few other ones, but stopped going to them due to the shear number of tards) since 2001 is most of the people on gun forums are not the brightest bulbs in the bunch. Some are just down right STUPID. Right to the point them owning a firearm scares the shit out of ya.

17. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

:DMy grandmother, 60 years old at the time, told my dad she wanted a new car, and apparently had to be a Buick. He sent her to the dealer at home and she came home with a brand spanking new G-Body.

Since it came with a warranty, she took it to the dealer for oil changes, etc.. We never saw it since she never really went anywhere but the grocery. 5 (+/-) years later, she complains that the car is acting funny and wanted dad to take a look at it.

Long story short, the dealer sold my little granny a turbo Buick G-Body. After 5 years and less than 3,000 miles the turbo never got used and started to seize up (dealer explanation.) Now the car really wasn't that fast, but the look on my Dad's face was priceless when they told him the cure was to "blow it out."

18. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

just to be clear

I am a Grand National Expert.

I've owned one (Still Do), modified it raced it ect.
    I have been working on GNs since 2004 Probably over 80 GN's, T types and GNX's over the last decade.
    I have researched TurboBuicks and the GNX at length.
    I've met a former Employee of ASC Mclaren who was directly involved with the project.
    I have been to the Shop of Richard Clark, know for having the largest collection of TurboBuicks and Parts in the world
    I have spent hours examining one of Richards GNX, its rather special as it has 5 miles on it.

and there you have it

19. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Yeah... that kinda jumped out at me too.