1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GM truck tuning

Discussion in 'General' started by cpettit, Jan 28, 2023.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Hey look over here.
    Now turn back.
    Yep, Your Dodge is rusted.

:D

2. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

^^^ This.

I had my old Silverado tuned by a semi-local guy. Told him the truck is a trailer pulling, snow plowing work horse and what I expected to gain from the tune. It turned out perfect for my needs.

3. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

And what is the practical benefit of that? Everything I’ve read said optimal trans temp is 175 to 220?

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

[​IMG]

Once a Wanker.., cpettit and ChemGuy like this.
  5. ChemGuy

I guess GM changed their minds on running that hot. Lots of people said they only did it to get .2MPG for the government numbers. Heard they used crap low viscosity fluid in the rear end for the same reason.

6. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

The only time I've even seen it above 185 is on a hot day in the summer pulling the toyhauler up a grade. That still doesn't really answer my question of what the practical benefit of running the lower thermostat temp is...

7. ChemGuy

Really. What year. My 17 will run an indicated 185-188 on level ground doing 65mph. As that is the temp the thermostat opens to end fluid to the cooler.

The benefit? Longer trans life. Heat kills seals, clutches, fluid, etc. The only reason they put the trans thermostat at this temp...I think earlier gens didnt even have a thermostat...so high was to lower fluid viscosity, reduce drag and power loss so the truck gets .1 or .2 MPG higher for the federal CAFE standards.

Most organic fluids...oils and things with carbon-carbon bonds....dont like temps up in the 200's and start really failing around 250-275 F. WHen i towed a dump treialer with Gravel a few miles I saw temps well into the 200's. I didnt like that.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I thought all GMs ran transynd?? or is that just the allison equipped ones?

9. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

While I agree with this in principle, I want to get a plug and play tune so it can be removed easily should it need to go to the shop for warranty issues. The truck has a lifetime powertrain warranty that covers engine, trans, xfer case and diffs and I aim to keep that if at all possible.

10. ChemGuy

The 6 speed (6L80E) and maybe the 8 speed use Dexron VI

I did this on my BRZ. It did have to go back for warranty work and I had it re-flashed back to stock. I was told they COULD see it had been 'messed with' if they wanted even with this. If you have that much warranty it may be for naught and a reflash may not hide it. Maybe get a used ECU and flash/tune that and keep the original one somewhere....just in case.

11. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

The dealer can see if they care to look. The way I understand it, the ECM logs every time a scan tool is plugged in. It recognizes a plug in tuner as a scan tool. If the dealer sees there has been a scan tool attached every time you start your truck they know it's had a tuner on it. This may not be a 100% accurate explanation, but the gist of it is correct.

My nephew had a near new Silverado he wanted tuned. The tuner who did my truck said the way to do it and maintain warranty was a second ECM. Switch back to the stock one before taking it in for service.

12. Exactly. There is no way to hide any tune 100%, all depends how deep they want to look at it’s not hard at all to find if even a Diablo type has been used.

swapping ECM’s can get tricky as well because of issues like laws and reporting correct mileage, etc. not sure how GM “stores” their mileage? I believe vehicles with separate TCM’s log mileage (output shaft rotations, input rotations, etc, as well as each gear).