1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giving Guns as Gifts

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Person A paying for a gun for person B who will do all the paperwork doesn't seem like it skirts the strawman laws to me. If person A isn't legally allowed to buy, why would they even contact the store? Or if the store is concerned, run the background of both and be done with it.

2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I've done a few transactions (one last week) with the local shop I called about this. However I didn't Identify myself. Maybe I should go there in person and explain myself better.

3. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Agreed...but do you roll the dice and risk it all for a few bucks profit? Some guy calls you on the phone asking for this transaction and you just say, "heck yeah! no problem!" ?

I'm just saying that I can see why a gun store would say no. The risk is not worth it. I would not want to sit in court saying, "I didn't think it was a problem".

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah I'd do it because to me it doesn't skirt the law. If I'm truly concerned then I'd offer to do it running both names.

Now - that being said I can understand the stores not doing it. I have a feeling a lot of the people working there are just like health care people and the HIPAA laws, they don't really understand them so they overreact to make sure they don't get in trouble.

5. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

It's called self preservation.

If there was a news story where someone went to jail for this people would say, "that dumbass should have known better". I'm not trying to internet fight here, just saying I get why a gun store would cover their ass and I respect their street smarts. BC, like you said maybe go in the store and they might? But why not just buy it and give it to him. EDIT: Good luck and good for you for such a cool gift!

6. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

When I bought my last gun I was with my best friend who was getting married so I kicked around the idea of getting him a pistol as a wedding present. I asked the clerk if there would be issues if he filled out the paperwork and I paid and they said no. It may be because I had already passed my background check that's the reason they would do it. This was up in Jacksonville if it means anything.

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Another thought...does the gun shop have gift cards? While I was incredibly happy that my friend got me a 1911, it's not the one that I would have picked out myself. I have this odd thing about not wanting to exchange something that someone picked out for me, so now I'm stuck with a pistol that really isn't my style for the rest of my life. If it would have been a gift card, I would have picked out what I wanted and the thought on his part would have been the same in my mind.

8. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I understand and agree. I just wanted to quote what the law said. It's the "buyer" part of the statement that would leave me concerned as the gun shop.

9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

laws are designed to maintain order, not to be "right."

Generally they only serve to complicate matters.

10. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I won a Glock in a raffle, had to take my permit to the gun shop and fill out all proper paperwork.

11. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

Maybe his employee has horrible taste in guns, and he doesn't want him to end up with useless crap...

My fil has not what I would consider a lot of guns, but more than several. He could pick any one of them, give it to me, and I would say... thanks, i guess. He just has a lot of weird stuff that I don't find useful or even interesting.

Last thing he showed me was a tarsus judge he got and was excited about (not trying to start and argument here). Long story short, I would not leave him to his own devices if I was gonna give him a gun.

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

:D

Good point!

13. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I think Quicktoy is in Florida. He's our resident class 3 dealer.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He's in Venice on Hwy 41.

15. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

One day not so long ago, I was driving along Hwy 70 in Bylas, AZ, and I saw a kid and his dog walking, carrying a .30-.30 (or similar lever action).

You just don't see that outside the Res anymore.

Time was, I WAS that kid. No longer.

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Just tell the gun shop you're gay and they have to bake you a cake. :Poke: :D