1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gearing Question

Discussion in 'General' started by Hammer-117, Feb 16, 2001.

1. Hammer-117

Hammer-117 Well-Known Member

OK..Tell me if I'm wrong. You want your final gearing to put you at redline, or close to it, when you hit your brake marker at the end the longest straight. That is the main objective, right?

2. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

If you are making peak hp at redline.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Some riders will also adjust to minimize mid corner gear shifts...

Depending on the track Brian would also look for better drive out of corners even if it might sacrfice hitting terminal velocity down the stright. An 3example is our Road Atlanta and Talladega gearing were exactly the same (on a 99 ZX6R) but at Talladega on the back straight he never used 6th gear. I believe Mark Junge told me the same thing once (that he only uses 5 gears at Talladega) but I could be wrong...

[This message has been edited by Mongo (edited 02-16-2001).]

4. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

On some tracks (well, at Daytona), you might want to leave yourself a little margin so you don't hit the rev limiter when you're in the draft.

5. Hammer-117

That's what I meant when I said "at redline or close to it". I think mine makes it's most around 12k and it redlines at 14k. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something in my reasoning.

And I don't think I'll be using the same gearing at Daytona as I do at TGPR. [​IMG]

6. WERA 591

WERA 591 Well-Known Member

Don't be misled into gearing too high for Daytona. You still have to be able to pull the gearing you choose with the hp you have. A friend of mine geared too high for Daytona and had to downshift on the banking because he was actually losing speed because he didn't have the ponies to pull the gearing that he chose. Thiam1 is correct in allowing for a margin during drafting which you want to do when possible. You are correct in gearing to be at peak power near the end of the longest straight, not at red line. It may be advantageous to alter your gearing for the straight by a tooth or so to give up some end of straight speed for a better drive out of a corners. Good luck at Daytona.

7. Hammer-117

Yeah, I was figuring on stock gearing, as a starting point, for Daytona. It's a long way to turn 1 [​IMG]