1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZR400 vs. SV650 - A compromise

Discussion in 'General' started by Sean Jordan, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

As I was riding home from work last night, I was thinking about my plans for racing this season. I currently race an FZR400, but I have been considering picking up an SV for racing instead. As I understand it, the SV's only real advantage is its motor. In supersport trim, it has 10 more horsepower and a smooth, linear powerband. To my knowledge, the SV doesn't out-brake or out-handle the FZR. And then it occured to me: Why not drop an SV motor in an FZR chassis? I know 2 guys that have successfully dropped EX500 motors into FZR400 chassis's. Why not an SV motor? The FZR can handle the added torque and horsepower. Can anyone think of any problems this might create? It wouldn't be legal for D-Super anymore, but you could run F2, LW Twins and HW Twins. (And then you could play with the motor a bit too.)

Anyone see any huge problems with this idea?

2. Guoseph

Guoseph Soil Sampler

Both EX cylinders are up front, SV has one pointed backwards, right about where the FZR gas tank is...

3. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

So... would that be a huge problem, or just a small one? [​IMG]

4. Number400

Number400 Well-Known Member

I once saw a 900RR motor in a 400rr...damn clever Brits!

5. Sean Jordan

You just rock the SV motor forward more...so it's mounted like a Ducati motor.

Or relocate the gas-tank.

6. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Finally, you admit that what you did this season couldn't be called racing. [​IMG]

Don't you mean next season dumbass? [​IMG]

7. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

You are asking for a world of hurt...
    The SVs engine mounting points are radically different than the Fizzers.
    Basically you'd have to chop, fab, and weld up a custom frame.

The SV frame is at least as good as the FZRs. about the only thing the Yami has on the SV is in the suspension dept.

------------------
    James Greeson
    Senior Wannabe,
    GS Posse

8. SClark

Seems to me the whole plan would result in more time thinking about racing, than actually racing.

9. EMathy

EMathy Dreaming of a *****...

What about dropping a thumper engine in there? A stock CR450 makes 55hp, for example. The engine is common so hop up parts should be easy to come by. Seems to me you'd be able to get a sold 65-70hp out of one without too much trouble.

The big question is how compatible the chassis is with those engine types...?

Random thoughts by...

------------------
    - Erik "Cheezy-E" Mathy
    Head Bratwurst Wrangler
    GS Posse

10. Sean Jordan

I can get a solid 65-70 hp out of an FZR, and it won't be a grenade. If I were building a single, it would go into a 125/250 GP chassis....something else I've always dreamed of doing.

11. EMathy

125 chassis is too small for all the engines I've looked at, including 250 4-strokes. The 250 chassis is the proven route. I was just mentioning it since he's already got himself a FZR chassis. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by EMathy (edited 12-04-2001).]

12. gpwannabe

gpwannabe Well-Known Member

Since the 125 chassis generally comes with single already in it what could you hope to gain? What about boring the 125 cylinder to add displacement?

To what advantage is an ex500 in the fizzer frame?

13. EMathy

Well, if one could wedge in say a 440cc 4-stroke engine, you'd get a 55bhp (stock) powerplant in a chassis that can utterly rail in the corners. Plus alot of the smaller 4-stroke motocross/enduro engines are getting things like fuel injection. Fun!

So...usable powerband, fuel injection, more power. Again, with that said, methinks those engines are too big for a 125GP chassis. The point is therefore mostly moot. [​IMG]

14. Sean Jordan

The guys who did the "EX-X" bikes had EX's with Frank Strohman motors that they raced in clubman. So for whatever reason, they decided to drop the EX mills into some FZR chassis's they picked up.

15. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

Compared to a ex500 motor in an ex500 frame? Lots [​IMG]

Aside from that, they're allowed in clubman, which the FZR (with a less HP fzr400 motor...) isn't.

Go figure.

- Roach

16. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

Sean, just a question to you...why would you want to do this?

Here is my opinion and one that I'm sure a lot of people will agree with. You are still a beginner racer, as am I (so I find that I am allowed to make my following statement). Learn to ride your bike! Stop questioning this and that and everything else...the bike is fine! At our stage in racing the only thing we need to concentrate on is learning to ride better...faster will come. I have seen many people ride an FZR400 fast and be competitive, so I don't think changing an engine is the answer.

Laura

17. Sean Jordan

I wasn't really considering doing this. For all the time and effort, I would just go and buy an SV and be done with it. This was more of a "shits and grins" idea...just something to throw around and see what people would say.

18. SClark

What about the YZF426 in a FZR400 frame?

19. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

or a YZF426 motor in a TZ250 frame. Or maybe just simply a 2002SV. [​IMG]

20. EMathy

Well, there IS something to be said for originality. [​IMG]