1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZR 400 GP Shift

Discussion in 'Tech' started by TNT451, Mar 4, 2004.

1. TNT451

TNT451 Well-Known Member

Can I get any help out there on how to convert my FZR 400 over to reverse shift. I know I need some sort of linkage to make the conversion, but am not sure exactly what I need.

2. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I had a '90 Fizzer 400 and on mine I just turned the pience that connects the shift lever to the shaft going into the transmission upside down... never had any problems with it except for when I accidentally put it back right side up and was trying to ride around the pits in 6th gear frying my clutch :eek:

3. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

You'll have to notch the cover to flip the knuckle over. If you have an oem rearset, shim it away from the frame a little with washers to keep the shift rod away from the frame. I had to grind away the bottom side of the lever also to clear the rod. (with the lever rotated downward into riding/shifting position when upshifting)

4. Don_728

Don_728 The dog made me do it!

You can also get an FJ1100/1200 shift knuckle and that will take care of the offset so you don't have to notch the cover.

Woodcraft has different length shift rods if you need some additional adjustability of the lever height.

Don Kinsey

5. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

You'll still need to notch the cover with the FJ knuckle. It's better than stock, but it can still rub and bind the shifter mechanism. About 15 minutes on the milling machine fixed it right up.

6. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I have an extra FJ shift knuckle I took of my 400 race bike (I ride std. shift). IF you want it its yours.

Shane