1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FYI Window 10 installed in next round of Automatic updates

Discussion in 'General' started by TrackStar, May 18, 2016.

1. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

IT buddy of mine just let me know that Microsoft slipped Windows 10 quietly into the latest automatic update. If you have auto updates on you will end up with 10 after the update.

If you dont want it you need to turn off updates.

2. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Can't see how they are able to do this. Many businesses still run on 7 and the POS they use will not work with 10.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Been hearing of it happenings from a number of people.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I just picked up a new laptop and microsoft has already started in on that shit.

5. TrackStar

I installed 10 on my laptop and it turned into a slug. My POS on my desktop will run on 10 but theres no way I'll do the update.

6. TrackStar

Because they own it, they just license you to use it. They can do whatever they want with it.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

8. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

They can't do it to hospitals and such. Should be the same for small businesses

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

And I just love the way 10 decides to update right in the middle of what you are doing.

10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

So glad we switched to using Chromebooks a couple years ago. No more Windows bullshit.

11. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Yep started up my work computer today and it did the automatic update.

12. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Getting tired of Windows corporate presence. That's messed up on the upgrade. I got a notice that they would be ending their 15GB limit on their OneDrive. It works pretty seamlessly with Windows and now that they reduced it to 5GB free I have to move a buttload of files somewhere else. Any recommendations for a cloud drive that works well with Windows?

13. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I write medical software for a living. We started using Windows as the base platform for a cardiac patient monitor back in the 90's. We've had to make several adjustments over the years as Windows has evolved, but we quickly discovered that using Windows 8 (and by extension Windows 10) is not acceptable at all. Those OS's are entirely too happy to replace whatever you happen to be looking at with their "start screen" or other screen that completely hides the vital information being presented to staff while monitoring patients. Not good. Not good at all.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It ain't free but I used to use Carbonite. No complaints with it for the most part.

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

dropbox is pretty good. not sure how much free space they give any longer.

I also use crashplan pro on the desktop...it's more of a cloud backup for your entire drive

16. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I haven't needed to in a long time, so I've forgotten how to check my OS.

It should be W7. How do I check to make sure?

17. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Quickest way is to right click on the "Computer" icon on the desktop, then click on "Properties." If you don't have the Computer icon on the desktop, click the Start button, then right click on Computer in the menu to get to properties.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll have to go update my last post. Been fun times :D

19. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

OK Apple fan boys, doesn't your OS automatically update to the latest as well unless you have auto updates turned off? What is the big difference?

20. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Mac OS doesn't do that bullshit automatically, you have to opt-in