1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full size Ford Transit reviews, who's got one?

Discussion in 'General' started by PMooney Jr., Dec 8, 2017.

1. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

So, the big Transit has been in the U.S. for three years now. Who here has one? Hopefully there's some floating around with a few miles on them to give some good info. I'm seeing tons on the road and at events now.

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I don't own one, but I had two connect 250's, for rentals for extended periods of time.

One was the huge one, that I could fit 16' lengths in, and over 6' high in the back so I could stand up.

The second one was smaller, closer to a regular cargo van.

I don't remember the engine in either.

Gas engines.
    Both drove very well.
    Both had ample power.
    For a cheap work van, the controls were nice.
    I liked the seating position, and the huge front windshield. Very easy to see out of.

YMMV

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

we have the 250 with the tall roof but not the super long wheelbase one.

Rear brakes, tires and oil changes so far. The rear brake issue was weird.
    The axles have to come out to replace the rotors so a lil more labor than typical.

Good vehicle overall. Tons of head room and tool room. Only downside is the tall ones on the highway tend to
    be affected by wind...ALOT!

4. PMooney Jr.

:eek:

5. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

I had the old original one, company vehicle.
    We dropped them, the transmissions kept dying, and mine at 60k miles had both front wheel bearings die.
    OH, keep a sledge hammer for getting the wheels off. Needed one to beat them off the front 3 times. One less than 3 months after a flat.

So they might have gotten better.

6. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

DAFUQ? On a fleet vehicle?

7. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Full floater axles. Easy-peasy. Six bolts and slide the axle out of the carrier.

shakazulu12 likes this.
  8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

So, I went to Ford's site to check 'em out for curiosity's sake...figured I'd "build" one.
    Well, it's the same stupid shit as all the other new vehicles when it comes to fitting options.
    You want this, no problem.
    Oh, you want that, too? Okay, but you'll have to remove that other thing you wanted.
    ...and I had a killer build goin'.
    :rolleyes:

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Who you kidding you could stand up in a Mini Cooper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I'm loving my little connect. Plenty of room and 27+ mpg. Sterling has a big transit he uses to tow the Dunlop trailer around. I was able to stand up in it. He says it's been good.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Somebody out west (maybe Kelly Reese?) has one he was raving about.

12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Same here, but I don't drive mine all that much. almost a year old and just turned 5k

13. PMooney Jr.

The full size or connect? I wish they would have named them something different, I didn't want to talk about the small connect, only the full size Transit that came out here in 2015.

14. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Check out the Dodge Promasters. You can find them for 20-35k.
    I recently picked up a basic model that I can modify myself for racing/camping. PLENTY of room and I can stand up in it and I’m 6-2”. I made a bunk bed frame that fits in it sideways that is removable For loading gear. The potential for modifications is fantastic.

Attached Files:

15. Mblashfield

Bunk pics

Attached Files:

16. Mblashfield

Bunk in place. I welded 4 nuts to the floor so I can remove the wheel chock when needed.
    The bunk frame compresses to reduce full length so it can be removed easily and be kept at full length when in place. (6-4”)

Attached Files:

17. Mblashfield

Plenty of room 6B12F8AA-ABD9-4C27-9539-A128120397F6.jpeg

bacolmm likes this.
  18. Mblashfield

These qualify for section 179 if you are a business owner and use it for business 50% of the time. It’s a very large deduction. Definitely worth consideration if you qualify.

19. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I've had mine 2 months. I've put 8600+ miles on it.

20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I have five of them. All 250s with the 3.7L V6.

The interiors are really nice, and the standard V6 has plenty of power. The oldest one only has 30k on the clock, but we haven’t had any issues, and my guys all really like driving them.

They’re a little speedy, so I was close to going with pro masters, but I heard bad things about the FWD in the snow.