Fuel Vent Line - Check Valves?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by falcn, Mar 17, 2003.

1. falcn

falcn Well-Known Member

I was out bedding in my new brake pads on the hybrid FTZ591 thumper this weekend.

The gas tank on the bike is a custom fiberglass jobbie from the PO. The race shop took the vent tub and ran it into a hole in the frame. This puts the exit of the vent line below the tank, which doesn't help once gas starts coming out, it has a syphon effect.

As I was making progressely harder stops, I found that fuel was flying out of the vent line, as the gas would slosh to the front of the tank and out the vent line. Thus it would get into the frame, and then drip out on the swingarm right around the rear tire area...NOT A GOOD SITUATION!

Are we allowed to use ball check valves on our gas tank vent lines? Is there an easy solution to this I am missing?
    I dont want to be spewing gas every time I have to slow down for turn "1" etc.

2. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

LP sells a one way vent line that costs less than $10. I used one all last season with no problems and my RZ is very thirsty (please don't ask me how I know).

3. falcn

falcn Well-Known Member

Ah, good ol LP. Thank ya sir.

4. bomax

bomax Member

you can also get tank foam that goes inside the tank,more of a anti slosh thing,alot of 125/250 guys run it.i think tim at gp city carries it.check valve also,tz ones are best.