Fuel question

Discussion in 'General' started by Yamaha Fan, Oct 8, 2023.

1. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Mixing 40/1 gas/oil ratio in a four stroke isn't what I'd recommend... Im sure it smells great though.

I wouldn't have any faith in their stuff though with their Mix ratios being that far off though. they say on that chart 12OZ per gallon is 32/1, 32/1 is 4 ounces per gallon.

2. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Ok, not changing what I do however, it works for me.
    Btw, you know that Blendzall Gold Label isn’t a standard premix oil. It doesn’t even have the viscosity of a thin machine oil.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2023
  3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Snake oil typically was pretty thin...

4. 88/532

Actually, there’s no such thing. Blendzall has been around probably longer than you’ve been born. But, but your on, prove it doesn’t work. I’ll wait…

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Prove what, that adding oil to your gas in a four stroke means you're now burning oil? It's not making more power unless your fueling is already off and the presence of the oil is enough to skew it back to what the motor prefers, but in that case fix your fueling and you'll get that power without the oil so... not the result of the oil. I've also seen all the claims around Marvel Mystery Oil too. Cool thing about where technology is these days, you can't keep secrets. If it was actually a miracle juice, it'd already be cloned and all over the market along with documentation showing why and how. Instead, it's an oily mild octane booster, if you actually need the octane there are better ways to get it in my opinion. Oh, can't forget the 'miracle' fuel dryer and 'catalyst' tank inserts, seen those too, seen the complete lack of any change on a dyno...

6. 88/532

You just proved you are clueless about it. Haven’t a clue, but knows what it can or cannot do. And, that’s fine, don’t use it. But, don’t get your underoos in a knot because someone else does, and passes along their experience and opinion about it. Smh

7. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I once had the honor of having a phone conversation with a gentleman named Gordon Jennings. He wrote this book back in the day:

[​IMG]

While our conversation was not on tuning (it was on his creation called Wheelbase), I did ask him what is one simple thing he can tell me to help the performance of my mildly-tuned RZ350: he said to run as much oil in the gas as possible - as long as it doesn't foul the plugs. He told me 10:1 was not unheard of. I ended up running 16:1 in my bike. I liked the idea, as it (in my mind) lowered the possibility of seizure. But he stated the same reasons @88/532 mentions above. Mind you, advantages in a four stroke vs a two stroke may be different/not an actual advantage. But I thought it was worth a mention.

Once a Wanker.. and turner38 like this.
  8. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

I don't know if this opinion was brought up earlier (I didn't read all) but if your engine is stock and tuned for regular gas, use that.

High octane doesn't detonate with high compression ratios but the price of that (there's always a price) is slow burning fuel. That means adding some advance.

So in some cases, high octane fuel may actually reduce your power.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  9. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Oil surplus does indeed lower bearing rod failures (top & bottom) probabilities on a two stroke but you're also leaning the amount of fuel to an extent. And lean fuel will cause detonation that no amount of oil will save...

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I remember reading on ekartingnews or hearing about this from my kart engine builder. I ran way more oil than 20 to 1 as well once I learned this. It was expensive, but so is racing.

What was counterintuitive to me, until explained, is now I would run leaner.

Edit…looks like you guys covered the leaner part. The theory I heard, was the extra oil helped seal the single piston ring a bit better, and that’s why it would make more power?

11. turner38

We ran richer oil fuel ratios than most in the 125's back in the day, as rich as 18/1 at bigger tracks. That is something that varies by rider though, Garrett could run 24/1 where Grayson would struggle to keep his bike cleaned out at that and we ran closer to 32/1 on it.
    KTM recommends 60/1 for my new 23 TX300, its on 32/1 and is quite happy there.

Still not believing 40/1 in a Hardly is any kind of advantage whatsoever....

TurboBlew and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  12. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

It was amazing that those F1 cars from only a couple years ago used a ton of oil. And smoked a good bit too, but only under certain conditions.

But that stopped once the FIA got involved and changed some rules.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

not sure why KTM recos such a lean premix. I even premixed my TPI just for insurance but still let the oil injection do its thing.
    In your case its double the oil per gallon they reco but if I was desert racing & WFO most of the time I would definitely richen the oil mixture up & run a higher flashpoint oil.
    At sea level and mostly single track part throttle riding my 2023 loves 45:1 of a lower flash point oil.

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

KTM has two competing interests - Performance/longevity vs Emissions

Based on what I've seen, 300s seem to go a looooong time at 60:1 when fed decent oil, so I've gone by book suggested ratios on my KTMs. My road race Yamaha, well, I'm a wee bit outside what the book was written for so it got 32:1 out of concern of long periods of high revs, closed throttle going into big braking corners.

TurboBlew and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

My buddy has ~200 hours on his 2021 TPI 300 with the original piston & oil injection using Motorex injector oil. No plans to do a top end anytime soon either.

16. turner38

My 20 model looked like new with 120 hours on it when I did the top end. The 23 is no where near due for a top end yet. Both are on Motorex and it a good oil IMO.

I’m riding a senior class in east coast Harescrambles and certainly not desert racing.
    Have see quite a few of these new 300’s eating plugs. Never fouled one on mine @ 32/1. It leans it out enough to make it pretty clean. Especially since it’s mixed with 112 leaded race fuel. Two strokes love lead….

Once a Wanker.. and TurboBlew like this.
  17. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I may be mistaken but I seem to recall an old editorial by Kevin Cameron concerning Daytona, a two stroke (rider/tuner?) came to him asking advice about their engine seizing no matter how much oil they added to the mix, he wrote he advised them that they were leaning out but they couldn't grasp it and kept going the other way with predictable results.

18. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I've met many decent technicians who have a difficult time understanding 2-T performance tuning, and how changing oil mixture ratios affect the volume of fuel passing through the various passages in a carburetor.

19. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

20. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Currently trying to help my lifetime Honda technician (M.C. and auto) friend understand the major effective 'jetting change' he's made to the '03 YZ125 I sold him. (My daughter's bike.)

I carefully jetted it to run crisply on a 24:1 Yamalube mixture, leaning the jetting significantly from the overly rich factory jetting. He's not buying my mixture theory, and arbitrarily changed to 40:1 Yamalube ratio, because 'that's what he's always run' in his WR250 2-strokes. Nothing different done to the jetting.

We both rode it this weekend, at a ride we were both at. He's saying it 'just doesn't have any power at low revs.' I said it's not running very well at all now, down low. It did run okay with higher rpm's.

Hoping to demonstrate the errors of his actions this next weekend, if the weather cooperates.