1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From BlingBling to NOLA, WTF happened?

Discussion in 'General' started by McGixxer, Apr 6, 2013.

1. McGixxer

McGixxer Well-Known Member

So I was there at Roebling 2 or 3 weeks ago where we had what?... Like 160-170 racers?? (I don't know) And I'm out here at NOLA today, enjoying this incredible weather (sunny and low 70s) at a track with like 50 paved RV spots, more paved pit area than Barber x5 and there's what? Like 50 of us out here?

Why the hell is no one here?

Did I miss something??

The track is set up nice, plenty of power and paved pits, gorgeous weather, blah blah blah... I guess I'm just sad the turn out was so horrible after Roebling :(

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Distance to travel? Not the first round of the season where everyone blew their load for their fix? Taxes?

3. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

too far to drive, plus i missed a week of work after RRR due to a bug several of us got there.

4. I was scared of that. NOLA is a long way. Aside from Jennings, the other SE tracks are sorta in the middle for people in deep south and people in shallow south :D (like TN, NC). But NOLA is a long haul.

For me, it would be a 12hr drive. That is just in a vehicle (i have made that drive several times). So i could likely be looking at 13hrs+ with the toy hauler. Personally, i dont have a problem with it and would like to ride the track, but it is a long ass drive and with gas prices they way they are, the distance is a factor/consideration. Off the top of my head, I would be looking at roughly a $500-$600 diesel bill for NOLA.

Tracks like Tally, Barber and Road Atlanta are just a better "fit" for the SE region IMO because they are more centralized. Which is why it would be awesome if AMP was bike friendly.

5. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

I hate im missing it, but after paying for a funeral and missing two weeks of work I just didn't have tge money. Simple as that. Good luck to everyone there!

6. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

We were talking about that today. I think it's timing and also CMRA has ECR next weekend also. That put a big dent in it also.

7. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

I think I counted around 30 trailers this morning. Maybe 40-50 riders. I'm really disappointed in the turnout.

8. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

would have loved to been there but just didnt fit in the budget this year. Loved it last year despite the high temps and 11 hour drive for me

9. Havent been there yet, but how close is that wall to the exit of the last corner? On video, it looks to be a pourly placed wall, as if somebody could drive out of the corner and highside themselves into the wall.

But it could just be an optical illusion due to camera angle.

10. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

500 miles is a long way to go for me as well, but we've got other issues here right now. Trying to wrap up a home construction project (new garage) and other stuff right now.

I have to think the problem is one of evangelism. There are plenty of people who live within 5 hours of the new track, and there are plenty of them who would like to race on it if they knew it was there and knew of WERA.

Brothers and Sisters, we gotta get off these saddles and go spread the good news to these lost souls! NOLA is a mission field. We gotta help them find the way to separate themselves from the evils of all that money they're holding on to! We gotta bring forth the fruits of dozens of fresh orange shirts to glorify the grids and cause rejoicing as the contingencies abound! Can I get an amen?

11. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

1. Too far to drive for 4 races
    2. MotoGp Opens this weekend
    3. Final 4 this weekend
    4. People are saving for May where we have 3 rounds in the SE
    5. Diesel is still $4 per gallon :-/

12. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

(This is no reflection on WERA or the future success I know they will have a NOLA)

This "region" is very tough to figure out. When you think racers will show, they dont. We you think they wont, they do. Many have tried to be successful here and not done well.

However, I know WERA will be.

Also, CMRA race next week followed by MotoGP the following weekend probably has a lot of our local racers broke and not willing to spend.

13. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

If we had our program up and running we would have been there. We are still planning on all the remaining SE rounds starting in June. Frickin expensive kid!!! :D

14. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

We are still chasing nationals so had no intention of being there, and I spent last week in hospital so wouldn't have anyway but wish we could have :(.

Too bad several contingency quotas won't even be met :(

15. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Sucks to hear that.
    I'm like Joe, nationals for me and maybe an extra sprint weekend or two if it's at a track we're going to this year.

Oh yeah, I also got to spend last night on the USS Alabama with 150 screaming Cub Scouts... :eek:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Main thing - distance. Secondary for riders in TX is the CMRA schedule. Overall we knew coming in this would take a while to build so we're good to go with things and moving forward.

Sucks for those who missed it too, fantastic weather :D

17. RndHoleSqPeg

RndHoleSqPeg Well-Known Member

For me it came down to having to work this weekend unexpectedly, but I think I decided on cost and time even if I didn't work.

I know people think its a draw to have a DH for a long distance track, but for me its a draw back. It just makes the weekend marginally too expensive to justify at the moment. Having a track I want to learn on over a Solo is much cheaper than an at least an extra tire, the extra sprint fees, plus an extra track day and a day more off work for the DH weekend.

18. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I was at the AMA race last year. The wall is pretty far off the turn. Probably not the safest thing in the worl, but I think it would be pretty hard to high side into it.

19. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

:stupid

You are pretty upright by the time it comes into play in any average incident. Anything can happen but i don't feel like it is dangerous with the shape of the last turn

20. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

I really wanted to make it. This week is my kids and my wifes spring break. Figured we could leave Thursday and make it there on Friday and spend spring break in New Orleans. Wife did not want to take off early and stay closer to home. Maybe next time.